state meeting

rcpatriot

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes... but I'm not going to get into on here and sound like sour grapes. I've had coaches from other schools review the video from the matches in question and each (not knowing who my kid was or why they were watching it) agreed on the same things that an official screwed up royally. It happens, but it's so plain and simple, that it leaves a bruise on the TSSAA face when you have inexperienced officials handling matches at a State Tournament that do not understand the rules or how they are to be applied.

I understand rookie mistakes during the season and event at "fundraising" tournaments... it happens. But at the State level officials MUST have a clear understanding. When I hear officials giving instructions to other officials on the mat at the STATE level during a match... there is a problem.

Been told that the following was discussed and proposed during the meeting this morning;

small school individual state tournament

eliminate current format for state individual tournament- change to double elimination

allow non-qualifying team members to attend the state tournament free of charge

Did they grant you a free day of coaching for next yea...lol

Been told that the following was discussed and proposed during the meeting this morning;

eliminate current format for state individual tournament- change to double elimination "Hallelujah"

allow non-qualifying team members to attend the state tournament free of charge

After watching all the DII side clear out about 7pm last night and the long break on Saturday they should go to a a DOUBLE ELIMINATION! Heck I'm for all 3 proposals.

D-II could be completed in one day.

Seeing the D-II clearing out at 7 and a lot of their brackets not full means it about the same or smaller then most Tourneys in the state.

This is the worst idea I've heard in a long time. It was argued "well in football.....

Wrestling isn't football. In wrestling it makes no difference in the enrollment of the school for the success of an INDIVIDUAL. The state is already watered down enough with the current D1 and D2 format. Another separation is the LAST thing we need.

It was brought to my attention that Ronnie Carter shot this down years ago saying it would create a state tournament with about 20 teams. What a joke!

A state champion should be just that. A STATE CHAMPION. Let's work on striving to beat the best, not whittling things down to create a false sense of success.

I think a small school state is the very best thing that could happen for wrestling.

There would be 60 plus teams and i truly believe it would help wrestling grow which is

what we want to happen. I believe we would pass 200 programs in a few years and

approach 250 in a few more years. It has caused wrestling to grow in all states around

us, so i am sure it would never work here in TN. We only need a few to be good not

all, wrestling will die if the communities attitude does not change. :thumb:

"We probably had a full house of maybe 300 fans max each session sitting on these old bleachers with the old heaters on the back row and with nine teams in this little cracker box of a place there is no telling where we (wrestlers) sat,’’ said 1961 Red Bank state champ George Farr who reflected back five decades to his senior wrestling season.

How is it not growing now?

Though you may honestly believe somehow this will be good for the sport, I honestly don't understand your thinking here. How would robbing Peter to pay Paul help the sport to grow? This makes no sense.

It's bad enough we already have a state tournament with only 10 people in a weight class (5 returning medalists - 112 D2).

I fail to see how having 3 state champions with fewer people in each weight will help the tournament to grow. The best thing about this sport is that it is a microism of life. There is no easy way. No short cuts. Just because a kid works his tail off all year and makes the varsity squad doesn't mean we should reward him with a state medal. Life aint always fair. That's reality.