Thoughts on the state

tnlonghorn

Or maybe just paint circles and let them wrestle in skates? :lol: Seriously lets just go double elemination and forget UTC. They prefer men's basketball over TSSAA wrestling anyway...

I thought it was Women's Basketball that they kicked us to the curve for. :lol::lol:

However I was disappointed in the media coverage. I did not see or hear anything talked about on the State being held in Franklin :lol:

I think most of the gripes can be corrected. I know the Vandy/KY game took a lot of sports news time and all the hype on Music City Miracle reunion, Sports fest downtown etc. What was going on in Chatt? I know listening to Wallie on the radio. There is always 2 or 3 major things going on in Nashville. I never heard about wrestling on the radio or TV. Someone should have called Vickie Yates on Ch 5. Her young men were grapplers. :lol: I tried to call sports talk and couldn't get through.

I think the Majority of folks love Chattanooga but hated the way the UTC's hired help made us feel. I'm sure someone in Chattanooga has fiqured how much $$$ was lost to their town. Does anyone know that amount? I know TN Tech fought for the Football State Championships and it seamed to work. Maybe UTC folks should do a Undercover Boss and find out how great their door Nazi's Operators work.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as a homefiled advantage goes as I read in an earlier post. Thats hilarious! All the Chatt town coaches were ecstatic that their wrestlers would be in a hotel room where they could control what they eat, what they are doing, what time they go to bed, the fact that they would ride together to the tournament and not be out driving. As far as wrestling goes its much better to be out of town than in town without a doubt. Do you think Bradley county had rather their kids leave Utc everynight for the 45 minute drive home, worry about what they are doing and eating or be in a hotel room 10 minutes away from the arena?

You are the first person I have ever heard say this. I know for a fact, that in all the years I played sports through high school, and college. I never once thought that being on the road was ever any better. I have always felt that sleeping in my own bed was HUGE. Sleeping in a hotel room, with often 3 other guys. Sharing a bed with another person. None of this can ever help you perform.

Also, have never seen how a coach can control what a kid eats. They are in a hotel, and often eat what they want. To me, it's worse eating on the road then it will ever be eating at home. At least at home, you can eat your normal diet. On the road, I have seen kids do some silly things because they were out of their normal enviroment.

As far as a homefiled advantage goes as I read in an earlier post. Thats hilarious! All the Chatt town coaches were ecstatic that their wrestlers would be in a hotel room where they could control what they eat, what they are doing, what time they go to bed, the fact that they would ride together to the tournament and not be out driving. As far as wrestling goes its much better to be out of town than in town without a doubt. Do you think Bradley county had rather their kids leave Utc everynight for the 45 minute drive home, worry about what they are doing and eating or be in a hotel room 10 minutes away from the arena?

Longhorn you make a great point! Why in the world would any Chatt. team want it back at UTC.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to ALL of the wrestlers, parents and other referees that helped run this tournament so smoothly. The wrestlers working the tables and parents working the tables all did an amazing job this year! Congratulations on a safe exciting year!

You are the first person I have ever heard say this. I know for a fact, that in all the years I played sports through high school, and college. I never once thought that being on the road was ever any better. I have always felt that sleeping in my own bed was HUGE. Sleeping in a hotel room, with often 3 other guys. Sharing a bed with another person. None of this can ever help you perform.

Also, have never seen how a coach can control what a kid eats. They are in a hotel, and often eat what they want. To me, it's worse eating on the road then it will ever be eating at home. At least at home, you can eat your normal diet. On the road, I have seen kids do some silly things because they were out of their normal enviroment.

I agree! When the Grapplers were in Downtown Chattanooga in the motels there were plenty of temptations!

Maybe tnlonghorn's team puts 1 grappler per room. That’s not the way it works on most teams. When you have 3 to 4 per room and they are away from Mom and Dad young grapplers do not sleep well. They are excited with lots of distractions. If you stayed out of downtown then you were killing yourself on the 1st and 2nd night trying to find somewhere to eat before everything closed. I have seen many out of town grapplers end up at Waffle House/Taco Bell because everything else was closed near their hotel by the time the left the UTC campus. By the time they get served and eat they are hitting the sack around 11:30 and have to be back early the next day..

Maybe it was great this year around Franklin but not my experience in Chattanooga during State. So I'm glad "All the Chatt town coaches were ecstatic" however I can't say the same when I went with 2 different programs to state in Choo-Choo town.

Well then give it a test run for a few years across the state. Memphis, Knox, MTSU, Bristol, Chatt. Who ends up doing the best job and greatest proceeds then keep it there.

Def. need to liven things up more, smoke, lights and music for finalist at least.

I was at state once in GA and finalist came down from second level with all lights out music playing and they gave wrestlers bio on way to mme in center mat as opponent did same from other side. Really exciting and brought up the atmosphere.

just to correct a few of the issues on this post as far as media coverage news 2 showed the wed setup on the 10 oclock news showing the mats etc and informing the viewers about the tournament I know the tennessean had articles as well. As far as attendance down other than the new venue who knows how much the economy had to play in that I know if it would of been in chatt town i would of had to hock something to take entire family(maybe next year could do a package price for families with 3 or more kids)about only chatt fans Bull i saw more local people than i ever did in chatt did you ck everyones id to see where they were from i didn't see the large amout of chatt people mostly wrestler families it also seem the d2 seats were a little empty As far as the show effects all were thought of and had hoped to do :roll: if we continue here but i never saw any spots or raised mats-and fireworks etc in chatt town in how many years it was there and as for parking iin chatt town i almost missed the finials because i had to park almost in ga and since shuttles were far and few jog to arena so as i end this can I get you some cheese to go with your whinning ?

Kudos to the folks that ran the tournament. The people and hospitality were great. Really efficient and made everyone feel welcome. There is no problem with those things.

The problem was with the finals. If you'll close your eyes for a moment and remember the atmosphere at UTC for the parade of Champions and the Finals, it was night and day compared to the Cow Palace. The tight packed, electric atmosphere was non-existent. It felt more like a mid-season dual meet than the biggest event in a young wrestlers life. Even casual fans who come to only this each year were remarking about the difference. Nothing that anyone could have really done, it's just that the venue isn't condusive to the the type of atmosphere we've become accustomed to.

Will someone please list the drawback of having the Parade of Champions and Finals at a different venue? Perhaps dwntwn Nashville. Everyone leaves the venue after the 5th and 3rd place matches anyways. This would allow the finals venue to be set up correctly saturday am, would allow for a more conducize venue for the parade and finals, and would also allow cleanup of AGI sooner.