Thoughts on the state

tnlonghorn

I think it was a great idea to move the tourney to Franklin. Chattanooga is the center of TN Wrestling but that does not mean they should have a home match advantage for the State. Nashville/Franklin is the central location in TN. How many fans from Memphis/Nashville schools came this year as opposed to past years? Year 1 in Franklin is not going to be near as smooth as year 20 something at UTC. They should leave it in Franklin for 5 years and see how it expands and then reevaluate.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too believe the people involved in the set-up and running of this event deserve a big THANK YOU! Wonderful job by all.

EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE who I had to deal with, in admission, concessions, parking, etc were very, very FRIENDLY! They made me feel like they really were grateful for me and our team for being there. At UTC the last couple of years, the UTC hired help made me feel like they resented the fact that I was there.

The venue: I liked the open space and the walkway around the top was good because we could move around and never lose sight of wrestling. The championship mat set-up was good. If they would have moved both mats in the center, then those people seated in the horseshoe areas could not see the mats very well.

I had no problem paying $5 to park. We had to do it at UTC. It was nce to park just outside the venue without having to park a mile away and hop a shuttle to get there.

My concern from the get go was seating. This wasn't a propblem since the numbers were down this year. I believe the numbers will improve if the this venue remains the site.

Could there have been more light? Yes Was it so dark that it made it hard for me to watch wrestling? No.

Now it would have been nice for the wrestlers to have a dressing area/locker room but maybe plans are already underway to address that issue.

As I recall, last year we actually had a row of scoreboards at each end of the arena showing all of the scores. In that facility, the sides might be a better placement.

As for the choice of cities, my biggest concern is that the two events (the traditional and the duals) should not be in the same part of the state. More fans get to have at least one event nearby, and the home advantage falls to different schools.

When I saw the finals layout, my thought was that they should have put the mat where the medals stand was and vice versa.

The site is somewhat middle-of-nowhere, that is true. I remember three-quarter-seriously proposing Municipal as a site for the duals. I'd love to see the traditional at the Sommet Center if we can get the Predators to cooperate datewise.

First of all, I don't think the tournament will be leaving the AG Center anytime soon unless someone can:

1. Find a facility that TSSAA can have for free and is centrally located.

2. Let TSSAA have the 80% of the parking revenue.

3. Let's wrestlers bring their own food into venue.

4. Can accomodate 10 to 12 mats(Go double elimination!)

After being at the tournament Thursday through Saturday, here are my thoughts

1. The building is a great venue from the standpoint of being comfortable, with lots of room, and good concessions. It was nice to be able to move around and get close to a match that I wanted to see.

2. The folks running the tournament and the employees of the AG center were more than accomodating.

3. The parking was easy and a heck of a lot better deal than UTC. Traffic was a little tough but its also been a pain around UTC at times.

4. I was dissapointed in the attendance(especially for the finals) but it was year 1. I'm willing to give the venue more time to see if attendance improves.

5. The lighting definitely could be a little better and i think could be supplemented to make it better.

6. I think the idea of moving the mats closer to the sides with the score tables in the middle is worth exploring for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday morning. For the finals, it you go the NCAA's no one is near the final mats. It might make more sense to move them closer to the middle so you can see tha action at both ends.

7. Coaches told me the hospitality room was awesome.

8 I thought the bout boards were really good.

In the words of the late great Mack Truck, "Thats my opinion, ought to be yours!

I think it was a great idea to move the tourney to Franklin. Chattanooga is the center of TN Wrestling but that does not mean they should have a home match advantage for the State. Nashville/Franklin is the central location in TN. How many fans from Memphis/Nashville schools came this year as opposed to past years? Year 1 in Franklin is not going to be near as smooth as year 20 something at UTC. They should leave it in Franklin for 5 years and see how it expands and then reevaluate.

I respect anyone pulling for Franklin (including you),, for the right reasons,,,and during the State Duals when I was there I did remember thinking,,,this venue is nice ,,,but its no McKenzie arena. I don't think 'home match advantage' has anything to do with this issue/topic. If it did, the top two winning teams in each Div. would have been at a disadvantage this year seeings how they all four are from the Chatt area and made the drive to Franklin. Any serious wrestling parent gets in a car and drives to where the real wrestling is regarless of how far,,,any real wrestler does the same. So my point is,,,if McKenzie arena was in Memphis, thats where we should all go because its the best venue for all of the things that really matter during the actual tournament. For $10 a day,,,I'd like to watch both Div. Bottom line 1 hours, 2 hours or 3 hours, most people have to drive,,,so the drive shouldn't be a factor in where is the best place to hold the state. Franklin is nice (and so is Leah Hulan at Grumpys bail bonds),,,but its not the best venue for this tournament,,,maybe someone in Chatt will pull their head out of their $$$ and get the State back where all matches can been seen all the time,,,but I won't hold my breath.

Disclaimer: If the Franklin venue allows for Double=elim,,,and the tssaa agrees to start doing that,,,now you have a great reason for having it in Franklin (regardless of fan to athlete vision issues),,,because it will make things better for the athletes and fans. Don't get me wrong,,,I love Franklin!

CC

There was never a legit reason to not have double elimination when the tourney was at UTC so that should not be a deciding factor.

I've heard some preliminary numbers that indicate attendance was down over 30% - that stinks for the atmosphere which stinks for the wrestlers.

At UTC I paid $10 a day to see both D1 and D2 tourneys. At the cow palace I had to choose one or the other. I want to see both.

If your complaining about food and prices, you probably need to examine your body fat content. Who eats the crap sold at concession stands beyond a soft drink and possibly popcorn?

2 reasons its at the cow palace - UTC took the tourney for granted and didn't embrace the tourney as a student recruiting tool. The cow palace is free - but is it really? If the attendance is down then fewer folks are paying admission and that adds up fast.

Doesn't need to be in Chattanooga if other areas will provide equal or greater attendance. If they can't, then it needs to be back in Chattanooga.

The cow palace does not generate the same atmosphere and excitment which is robbing the wrestlers. The cow palace is not the answer for the individual.

double elimination would help the attendance problem in franklin. It would give people a reason to come back even if their wrestler suffered a disappointing defeat in the first 2 rounds.

Well, hopefully we see that next year. The kids deserve, and everyone of them want it. And with the larger space, there really isn't a reason not to do it.

I think give it enough time, and with the efforts we saw everyone put into the tournament, this will work out just fine. I personally liked the extra room, and with some adjusting - the ability to watch both D1 and D2 will be much better.

Excellent posts. In a nutshell it just didnt feel like a state tournament. If they say the #'s were down 30% thats probably 50%. It sure seemed like 50% or more. Where were all the nashville fans we heard so much about? I thought you were going to pack the place out now that you have a chance to have the tournament. I tell you what fans I saw there. Cleveland, Bradley, Blackman, Tullahoma, Hixson, Science Hill, Baylor, McCallie, Father Ryan and Christina Brothers. Thats was all I noticed in any large #.

I agree Utc needs to get their heads out of their as*es. I agree they need to appreciate things and treat people better and get rid of the nazi police. I agree they need to allow food inside or have more options on food and better prices. I agree the people did agreat job of getting ready for the tournament but it lacked excitement, energy and entertanment. Turn the lifghts off, have spotlights on the mats, play music, make it something the kids will remember. Most of all pack the place out! Other than Blackman and father Ryan I didnt notice any large groups of Nashville fans at all. Chatt town had half the fans in attendance and it was in your back yard.

As far as a homefiled advantage goes as I read in an earlier post. Thats hilarious! All the Chatt town coaches were ecstatic that their wrestlers would be in a hotel room where they could control what they eat, what they are doing, what time they go to bed, the fact that they would ride together to the tournament and not be out driving. As far as wrestling goes its much better to be out of town than in town without a doubt. Do you think Bradley county had rather their kids leave Utc everynight for the 45 minute drive home, worry about what they are doing and eating or be in a hotel room 10 minutes away from the arena?