Henry County Football

West TN football

I have been following Camden since I was nine or maybe even younger, and I can remember Camden making it to one playoff game from the time i was nine until I started high school in 03. Coach Ward came in my freshmen year and took a 2-8 team in the 02 season to 6-5 in the 03 season. Coach Ward is not a coach specifically for rebuilding, if Coach Ward went to HC then I can promise you he would turn HC into a dynasty. He's Great at Camden, but lets face it HC HAS TONS MORE TALENT than my Lions.

This is Coach Ward's recprd at Camden:

2003- First Round of Playoffs 6-5 lost to Lewis County

2004- Quarter-finals 11-2 lost to state runner up Huntingdon

2005- Quarter-Finals 9-4 lost to state runner up Goodpasture

2006- 2nd Round lost to 10-2 CPA

2007- Quarter Finals11-2 lost to state runner up Goodpasture

2008- First Round loss to Fairveiw

2009- Quarter- FInals lost to State Runner up Milan

Thats not a bad record by any standards.

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has this guy ever been in the game? State Championship that is.

No...he has not been to the State Championship game!..neither has any coach of the Patriots since 1969! THere are many on this forum who have a very schewed idea of what success is! Dyansty? Really Ctownfootball? So..is the Patriot football program now some "project" that needs a revamp? Your coach is one of the best in TN...I agree...but beating your chest about whipping Lewis Co....spare us!

Who come up with the idea that Counce will only coach 2-3 years? Whoever that person is..please speak up. Has anyone heard James say that??

As successful as HC has been they need a guy to take them to the next level not a guy who just has an ok record.

And just who do you want to take over Henry County? Gary Rankin from Alcoa? Thomas McDaniel from Oakland? George Quarles at Maryville? You guys still don't get it - Riverdale and Oakland in the boro and Alcoa and Maryville in East Tennessee are good not just becasue of the coaches but the systems and athletes. Maryville and Alcoa have open enrollment and Riverdale during the Rankin's tenure had people moving their kids from all over the tri county area just to play for that man. Stop being unrealistic and be smart enough to know both Counce and Ward are great head coaches and more importantly great men. Any program would be lucky to have them. Ward would be a better long term solution - and trust me, he will get his rings. (I said it - plural)

Good luck this year Patriots...from the Jefferson County Patriots...(just remember there are 3 kinds of bloggers...#1 the Supporters/True Fans>>they write only positive things and defend the Program/cheer for the Team/Go to the games/Wear the Gear and put Team gear on their car,and encourage the players/families and coaches.....#2 these are the OTHER types...the term "Negative" doesn't begin to fully describe these people.It's what they do...It's all they do...It's what they have always done...It's how they were raised...It's just sad really...then there are the number 3 types read alittle/stayquiet/don't get involved and eventually fall off the Boards.AGAIN GOOD LUCK THIS SEASON !!!!GO PATRIOTS <

Has this guy ever been in the game? State Championship that is.

No...he has not been to the State Championship game!..neither has any coach of the Patriots since 1969! THere are many on this forum who have a very schewed idea of what success is! Dyansty? Really Ctownfootball? So..is the Patriot football program now some "project" that needs a revamp? Your coach is one of the best in TN...I agree...but beating your chest about whipping Lewis Co....spare us!

Who come up with the idea that Counce will only coach 2-3 years? Whoever that person is..please speak up. Has anyone heard James say that??

What did Counce do that was so "great" at Dyersburg to make him better than Ward in your eyes?????

James Counce at Dyersburg

1995: 3-7 (DNQ for Playoffs)

1996: 3-7 (DNQ for Playoffs)

1997: 13-1 (3-1 in Playoffs): semifinal lost 43-0 to Pearl-Cohn

1998: 10-3 (2-1 in Playoffs): quarterfinal lost 21-14 to Hardin County

1999: 10-1 (0-1 in Playoffs)

2000: 6-5 (0-1 in Playoffs)

2001: 8-3 (0-1 in Playoffs)

2002: 5-6 (0-1 in Playoffs)

2003: 8-4 (1-1 in Playoffs)

2004: 5-6 (0-1 in Playoffs)

2005: 10-1 (0-1 in Playoffs)

2006: 12-2 (3-1 in Playoffs): semifinal lost 42-10 to David Lipscomb

Now as a previous poster just showed Kevin Ward has taken Camden Central to the State Quarterfinals of the Playoffs 4 times in the last 6 years. You may make fun of Lewis County but I PROMISE YOU that Goodpasture, Huntingdon, & Milan aren't any worse than any team Dyersburg has faced. They got on the field against David Lipscomb in 2006 and got destroyed. At least Camden Central took Goodpasture to the wire when they met. Difference between David Lipscomb & Goodpasture???? NONE!!!!

James Counce went to the State Semifinals in his 3rd year at Dyersburg and got destroyed by a Pearl-Cohn team that was simply loaded. PC didn't surrender a single point that year in the playoffs from the opening round throughout the state semifinals. The following year in '98 Dyersburg went to the quarterfinals and lost to Hardin County. THAT IS NO DIFFERENT FROM THE SEASONS IN WHICH CAMDEN CENTRAL HAS ENJOYED 4 OF THE LAST 6 YEARS!!!! From 1999-2005 Dyersburg went 1-7 in the TSSAA State Playoffs. In those 7 seasons Counce managed to go 10-0 with 2 teams and yet fall in the opening round of the playoffs. He had a great year again in 2006 but got killed in the semifinals against David Lipscomb.

Kevin Ward did much more with much less at Camden Central than James Counce did at Dyersburg. The numbers do not lie :D