Miss Basketball Finalists

Ticket

What is this booing all about at the Tournament when AA Miss Basketball was named?

Kids being kids. I don't think it was right to boo. I'm sure they would've loved to have seen Butler win it especially after the memories she gave to everyone in the Murphy Center in her last 3 games of her career!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to Fussell...even though the announcer mispronounced her name. She is a great player, but there is a difference in her and Heather Butler. You never saw Butler scream at her team mates on the floor in the 4 years I have wathced them play in 13AA basketaball. Butler always would lead by example and be encouraging. And she has 2 Gold Team Championship trophies! And a AA state tourney M.V.P. trophy. That's what will be remembered 10 years down the road.

This was an idividual award and Fussell desreved it based on how the sytem is set up presently. It just seems strange that you have one who played in 3 State Championship tournaments and helped her team win 2 back to back Gold Balls and the other never played in a state championship, as far as I know. But, that's why its an individual award for the regular season. But don't most teams strive @ the beginning of the year to win a championship? So in my opinion it should include the entire season including through the State Tournaments. (thats just my opionion though) Congratulations Fussell @ Texas as she will do well. Also congratulations to Butler, Reedy & Griffin. You are going to build an OVC dynasty @ UTM! It's been fun to watch you over the last 4 years competing in the toughest district from top to bottom in the state 13AA!

I will take the state championships any day. :thumb:

That would sort of make it a team thing wouldn't it ??.....

That is why in my post I made it a point to put the "individual award" thing in my first sentence....It shouldn't matter, if it's an individual thing, if the TEAM the player was on was 0-30....

I will say this...That championship game was the most exciting girls game I have ever seen....Heather Butler put on a show in this tournament...She put her team on her back and willed them to win in the championship game.....It was a joy to watch....

It will be fun to see what UTM does over the next few years....McMillan and the Lady Skyhawks had their footprint all over Saturday's activities...Every time you turned around the PA guy was announcing another UTM recruit....

Congratulations to Fussell...even though the announcer mispronounced her name. She is a great player, but there is a difference in her and Heather Butler. You never saw Butler scream at her team mates on the floor in the 4 years I have wathced them play in 13AA basketaball. Butler always would lead by example and be encouraging. And she has 2 Gold Team Championship trophies! And a AA state tourney M.V.P. trophy. That's what will be remembered 10 years down the road.

This was an idividual award and Fussell desreved it based on how the sytem is set up presently. It just seems strange that you have one who played in 3 State Championship tournaments and helped her team win 2 back to back Gold Balls and the other never played in a state championship, as far as I know. But, that's why its an individual award for the regular season. But don't most teams strive @ the beginning of the year to win a championship? So in my opinion it should include the entire season including through the State Tournaments. (thats just my opionion though) Congratulations Fussell @ Texas as she will do well. Also congratulations to Butler, Reedy & Griffin. You are going to build an OVC dynasty @ UTM! It's been fun to watch you over the last 4 years competing in the toughest district from top to bottom in the state 13AA!

I will take the state championships any day. :thumb:

That would sort of make it a team thing wouldn't it ??.....

That is why in my post I made it a point to put the "individual award" thing in my first sentence....It shouldn't matter, if it's an individual thing, if the TEAM the player was on was 0-30....

I will say this...That championship game was the most exciting girls game I have ever seen....Heather Butler put on a show in this tournament...She put her team on her back and willed them to win in the championship game.....It was a joy to watch....

It will be fun to see what UTM does over the next few years....McMillan and the Lady Skyhawks had their footprint all over Saturday's activities...Every time you turned around the PA guy was announcing another UTM recruit....

Your right Purple & Gold....Thats why I said the way the system is set up now Fussell probably desrved it. I know its not going to change, I was just offering my opinion. I would take our 3 and Fussell and Rechis on my team any day!

I didnt agree with the scatering of boo's that came from the crowd...kid's i guess mainly...they just came off a tremendous 3 days watching a AA girl set the tournament record for points. (93) I'm not sure if most fans even understand it was for the regualr season. :thumb: Anyway, Fussell will do well and I look forward to seeing her like I have seen Poston some with Purdue. :thumb: But I will be going to watch the 3 seniors play @ UTM when I can.

gcfan2 posted....

"Your right Purple & Gold....Thats why I said the way the system is set up now Fussell probably desrved it. I know its not going to change, I was just offering my opinion. I would take our 3 and Fussell and Rechis on my team any day!

I didnt agree with the scatering of boo's that came from the crowd...kid's i guess mainly...they just came off a tremendous 3 days watching a AA girl set the tournament record for points. (93) I'm not sure if most fans even understand it was for the regualr season. :thumb: Anyway, Fussell will do well and I look forward to seeing her like I have seen Poston some with Purdue. :thumb: But I will be going to watch the 3 seniors play @ UTM when I can."

I understand where you are coming from.....Wouldn't that be something to have the GC3 and Fussell and Rechis all on one team ??....I wasn't going to mention the booing...You are right...I hope it was kids...You can give them a pass on it....If it was adults ??...Another story...I think Chassidy even kind of expected it...When her name was called she looked over at Heather and laughed and said they are booing....I just wished someone with the T.$.$.A.A would have gone that little extra inch and asked how to pronounce Chassidy's last name..The announcer did the exact same thing last year...

gcfan2 posted....

"Your right Purple & Gold....Thats why I said the way the system is set up now Fussell probably desrved it. I know its not going to change, I was just offering my opinion. I would take our 3 and Fussell and Rechis on my team any day!

I didnt agree with the scatering of boo's that came from the crowd...kid's i guess mainly...they just came off a tremendous 3 days watching a AA girl set the tournament record for points. (93) I'm not sure if most fans even understand it was for the regualr season. :thumb: Anyway, Fussell will do well and I look forward to seeing her like I have seen Poston some with Purdue. :thumb: But I will be going to watch the 3 seniors play @ UTM when I can."

I understand where you are coming from.....Wouldn't that be something to have the GC3 and Fussell and Rechis all on one team ??....I wasn't going to mention the booing...You are right...I hope it was kids...You can give them a pass on it....If it was adults ??...Another story...I think Chassidy even kind of expected it...When her name was called she looked over at Heather and laughed and said they are booing....I just wished someone with the T.$.$.A.A would have gone that little extra inch and asked how to pronounce Chassidy's last name..The announcer did the exact same thing last year...

No it wouldn't because Chassidy would shoot the ball too much and Rechis and Butler wouldn't get their points. I'd rather see them play 4 v. 5 rather than seeing that same person shoot the ball everytime down the court and take away from the rest of the team, just as she has done over the last 2 years.

GCPioneer posted...

"No it wouldn't because Chassidy would shoot the ball too much and Rechis and Butler wouldn't get their points. I'd rather see them play 4 v. 5 rather than seeing that same person shoot the ball everytime down the court and take away from the rest of the team, just as she has done over the last 2 years."

That's garbage....If Chassidy had those types of teammates around her she wouldn't have to shoot or score so much...

I've said it over and over again....She wasn't surrounded by players that she completely trusted...Wasn't it ironic that their season ended in a game where she made a pass to a wide open teammate who missed an uncontested shot at the goal ??...It's happened over and over again the last two years...

GCPioneer posted...

"No it wouldn't because Chassidy would shoot the ball too much and Rechis and Butler wouldn't get their points. I'd rather see them play 4 v. 5 rather than seeing that same person shoot the ball everytime down the court and take away from the rest of the team, just as she has done over the last 2 years."

That's garbage....If Chassidy had those types of teammates around her she wouldn't have to shoot or score so much...

I've said it over and over again....She wasn't surrounded by players that she completely trusted...Wasn't it ironic that their season ended in a game where she made a pass to a wide open teammate who missed an uncontested shot at the goal ??...It's happened over and over again the last two years...

You like to refer back to Obion Co. beating Gibson Co. alot on here. You know how OC beat GC? They played as a TEAM. Fussell got her shots in and so did everyone else. Had OC played like they did against us that night at Gibson Co., they could've/would've been playing for a state championship.

Also, what about missed free throws in that game? You focus solely on that missed lay up, but you also had ALOT of missed free throws. Don't put all the blame on that one girl for missing a lay up.

Congratulations to all three winners yesterday. The Miss Basketball awards went down exactly like I thought they would. Beth Hawn absolutely deserved the Class A Miss Basketball based on her play this year, because she was absolutely stellar all year long. Had Forrest not been upset by MTCS in the Region Semifinals, I think everyone would have seen just how much better Hawn is this year from last year. She was a great player last year, but she was an unbelievable player this year, and she deserved the award. She looked genuinely surprised that she won it, which made for a great moment.

Chassidy Fussell is a worthy recipient of the AA Miss Basketball. She is one of the greatest scorers this state has ever seen. Unfortunately, she was never able to get to the State Tournament because of the more complete teams in her district. Butler would have been just as good of a choice, and even after sitting in the Murphy Center yesterday and watching her performance in the "greatest comeback" I have ever witnessed in a State Tournament Championship Game, I found myself hoping that she would get it. I knew the student section was going to "boo" if anyone other than Butler go the award, and I am pretty sure that the girls knew it was coming to. It probably isn't something that Fussell wanted to happen when she was accepting the greatest individual award given to a girl basketball player in the state of Tennessee, but I have a feeling that it didn't bother her that much.

Throughout her entire career, Taylor Hall has been an impressive scorer and defensive player with great size. She has a college-ready body and with a 6-1 frame, she will make a great guard at Chattanooga next year. Of the three nominated, I felt that she was probably the most complete player of the three, though she did struggle during the State Championship Game yesterday. I think next year you can book Shacobia Barbee of Riverdale and Caya Williams of Mt. Juliet as AAA Miss Basketball candidates. As good as Barbee was the last time I saw her, which was this past summer in AAU, she was even more impressive and dominating yesterday than I have ever seen her. She, and Williams, will play in the SEC or some other major conference, because they are both scary good at their age.

Congratulations to all three winners yesterday. The Miss Basketball awards went down exactly like I thought they would. Beth Hawn absolutely deserved the Class A Miss Basketball based on her play this year, because she was absolutely stellar all year long.

Chassidy Fussell is a worthy recipient of the AA Miss Basketball. She is one of the greatest scorers this state has ever seen. Unfortunately, she was never able to get to the State Tournament because of the more complete teams in her district. Butler would have been just as good of a choice, and even after sitting in the Murphy Center yesterday and watching her performance in the "greatest comeback" I have ever witnessed in a State Tournament Championship Game, I found myself hoping that she would get it. I knew the student section was going to "boo" if anyone other than Butler go the award, and I am pretty sure that the girls knew it was coming to. It probably isn't something that Fussell wanted to happen when she was accepting the greatest individual award given to a girl basketball player in the state of Tennessee, but I have a feeling that it didn't bother her that much.

She was quoted in the Jackson Sun as saying "people don't boo the bad players". LOL... that's true and funny.