WHY 2 & 3 SPORT ATHELETES SHOULD WORKOUT!

Well, basketball season is over for most of the young men. Most of them have found their way back to the weight room, except for the baseball players, they will get further behind. The first few days back, everyone got a max. Just let me say WOW! When you have a 130lb. QB lifting a considerable amount more in the BIG 4, than your 200lb. plus linemen, you have a problem.

For some reason, most b-ball coaches think that lifting will affect their atheletes shot. How can that be? When I look at most college and pro b-ball players arms, they make Rocky Balboa look like a girl. I don't think they got that way from not working out. It is a proven fact that weight training can benefit any sport. Even golfers workout, if they want to play at a highly competitive level.

Lets say that weight lifting did affect you athelete's shot. How many kids u gonna have on the team with a real shot? Maybe 2 or 3? Why would you not want your big guys under the basket to be strong and able to get that rebound. You don't have to have a shot to make one under the basket.

I know what your're thinking. This guy is a football only guy. But not so. I myself many years ago was a 2 sport athelete. Things were different 20 years ago. Twenty years ago, a good athelete could get by with not working out. Heck, for the most part add 10 more years, and nobody worked out, and the best athelete could dominate. But advances in the science of weight lifting have taken that average guy and boosted him to the same level and beyond the guy with all the athleticism.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is, I think TSSAA should make schools have a weight training program for all students who participate in sports. I'm sure some schools do this, but ours doesn't. With all the gains that young atheletes are making today, if you don't work out, you could possibly get hurt really bad. No one wants to see that happen. Any opinions?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At Alcoa, all football players are required to take the Weight Training class. Other sports aren't required but most coaches like them to take the class. Although in basketball I don't think it should affect the shot too much, baseball is very different. If your arms become too big it decreases the extension you have when throwing the ball, making it harder to throw it faster and harder.

Not working out at all though, in any sport puts the team at a disadvantage from other schools.

Here in the bore, teams have an athletic period for what I understand. I don't think places like Metro and Wilson county do. Recently, Cheathem co. is toying with this idea. If I had kids playings sports at that level; and I do not, they would transfer to some place like Rutherford county. Why do they need P.E. when they could be lifting and getting their physical fittness through weights and conditioning? Some school boards are just plain ignorant when it comes to a healthy life-style and family values. :motorbike:

At Alcoa, all football players are required to take the Weight Training class. Other sports aren't required but most coaches like them to take the class. Although in basketball I don't think it should affect the shot too much, baseball is very different. If your arms become too big it decreases the extension you have when throwing the ball, making it harder to throw it faster and harder.

Not working out at all though, in any sport puts the team at a disadvantage from other schools.

I will have to disgree with you on this one. I admit that a huge bicep could prevent some extension, but if done properly, extension should be increased with the use of weights. I point again to Golf. I think that within the mandatory lifting requirement, the lifts should be modified to enhance whatever sport the athelete is playing at the time. Take baseball for instance, the lifts should focus on the core, legs, and triceps not to mention the shoulders. Let's face it, most teenagers are not gonna have Hulk Hogan arms, and chances are if they do, baseball ain't there sport.

Here in the bore, teams have an athletic period for what I understand. I don't think places like Metro and Wilson county do. Recently, Cheathem co. is toying with this idea. If I had kids playings sports at that level; and I do not, they would transfer to some place like Rutherford county. Why do they need P.E. when they could be lifting and getting their physical fittness through weights and conditioning? Some school boards are just plain ignorant when it comes to a healthy life-style and family values. :roflol:

This is a great point. What is the benefit of playing dodgeball while the P.E. coach, who is usually a football coach, draws up plays and thinks of ways to make his team better. Let him teach what he knows and make his team better at the same time.

Dodge ball Skills (teaches):

Throwing dodgeball hard developes arm strength for baseball

Constant Dodging the ball helps develope sliding and moving picks for basketball

Angermangement techniques; once getting pounded by ball, helps Lb's in football

Getting tagged out and then pissed off goes a long way in kicking ball into upper stands, helps develope soccor players

Girls doing nothing, we'll just say Title 9 to get something for nothing :roflol:

My son played 3 sports for his first 2 years of high school before dropping basketball this season. They lift in every sport, but more important than that, they work on their core. Weight training without starting from a solid core just makes you more vulnerable to injury. Lifting without a purpose or direction is just a waste of time too. Work on something besides being muscle bound. Work on explosion, footwork and flexibility.

Springtime is upon us here in Htown and this is an interesting subject! We love our school superintendent and school board! They haven't turned communist yet. We have 4th block athletics and the athletes use this time for strength-n-conditioning. Isn't that what P.E.is suppose to do, work on the physical fittness of our students? State law requires physical activity for all students for 1 hour a day. Yet, these school systems are doing away with athletics during the school day. Give the authority back to the physical education teachers (coaches) and let them get paid for what they are suppose to do. Otherwords, require all students to follow athletic requirements to meet the physical activity needs. This would cut down on obesity in todays youth. Our students get done with practice and are allowed to get home for super at a descent time. I've heard horror stories over in lebanon about students getting home at 7pm. Isn't their school on the state target list? I guess they'll learn some day!

This is the scenario at our school. We do have atletics during fourth block. That's not the problem. The problems is that a 3 sport atheletes are in whatever sport is in season, which means that while in baseball and basketball, they get no lifting at all, unless they do it on their own, and even this is discouraged by their coach. Therrefore, the 3 sport athelete may only lift for about one month. That's just enough to make you sore. Just doesn't make sense to me how a coach can't see the benefits of lifting weights.

There is no such thing as being "muscle bound". Thats an age old myth that was disproved a long time ago. Lifting weights, and I mean heavy weight, actually increases flexibility in all muscles. You see, even on this very board there is not enough known about serious weight training facts and i've found that basketball coaches are the most ignorant of all when it comes to fitness. There knowledge of the subject tends to stop at suicides.

This is the scenario at our school. We do have atletics during fourth block. That's not the problem. The problems is that a 3 sport atheletes are in whatever sport is in season, which means that while in baseball and basketball, they get no lifting at all, unless they do it on their own, and even this is discouraged by their coach. Therrefore, the 3 sport athelete may only lift for about one month. That's just enough to make you sore. Just doesn't make sense to me how a coach can't see the benefits of lifting weights.

So they only lift for one month in the summer for football, don't lift during the football season, but they should be lifting during basketball and baseball season?

I don't get it. If they aren't lifting in season for football, why are they lifting in season when the other sports are in season?

I would think that sport specific weight training would differ from sport to sport. Fast twitch muscle training versus just strength training. Two and three sport athletes should have a somewhat different workout for each sport as opposed to just adding strength and bulk.