McMinn Central -vs- Gibson County for AA State Championship

blitzinbuc

Good answer! woodvegas; first timeout at 4:42 left in the third....up 12, second timeout with 3:36 left in the third,still up 9,television announcers comment at 3:10 left in the third,"McMinn's trying to slow things down", score 46-37.I thought that M.C.'s aggressiveness in attacking G.C.'s press was the key factor in gaining a 19 point advantage to begin with, but they ratcheted up the pressure another notch.I would not envy anyone trying to slow the game down against that kind of agressive trapping defense,it's designed to speed up the game and force lateral passes,which it did.Put the same teams in the same cirmstances 10 more times,and I'm not sure how many more times G.C. comes back to win,if any,but the fact remains that they did it when they had to. Like I said before,My hats off to both teams for the awesome efforts and refuse to lose attitudes demonstrated,it's truly a shame that there had to be only one winner,Iwont even use the L**** word. :mrgreen:

Here's a quote from McMinn's coach after the Westview game..."During timeouts in games like that, we don't make adjustments. The only thing I know is to tell them to keep fighting," said McMinn Central coach Johnny Morgan.

Hmmmm, he might want to rethink that strategy.

I guess my point is this...Do you believe there is such a thing as a team choking? If you do then how many points does a team have to be ahead in the 3rd quarter and end up losing before you apply the choke label...15...20...25??? It's just my opinion and other people may have a different one but this falls into my choke category...sorry.

Keeping this short,Coach Morgans philosiphy got 'em to the championship game,"dance with the one that brung ya'". Also,yes I've seen teams choke(I HATE THAT WORD), but it's not measured in points or on the clock,(to me anyway), it's when a player,or a team, stops playing to win, and the fear of losing impairs the ability of him/her or them to play at their normal level. I didn't see that Saturday. :shock:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to the Gibson Co. Lady Pioneers for an amazing comeback as tournament MVP Heather Butler scored 19 of her game high 28 points in the 2nd half in leading GC to back to back 2A state titles.. I stated at the beginning of this game that it would come down to if McMinn Central could handle GC's pressure defense and they did for a half and part of the third quarter in building a 44-25 lead. As Coach Russell said afterward we had to get in them more on the press which means step up the intensity a little more and the Lady Pioneers did with that trademark press that finally rattled the McMinn squad who played an outstanding game as Adams put on a great performance with her presence inside and the guard play from the Chargeretts was impressive. Great players step up in big games and Heather Butler put on one of the more impressive displays I've ever seen in a state title game with a deep 3 right in front of the GC bench and then that runner on the right side of lane when she made the basket and drew the foul almost brought the glass house down - Heather Griffin made some keys baskets and rebounds late in the contest and Aubrey Reedy knocked home a big three from the wing and played solid inside and you can't say enough about the outside shooting of Courtney Haynes who hit two big three's early when GC went up 10-2 and then knocked some big shots down late in the contest during the comeback. They say defense wins championships and this past Saturday's Girls 2A finals was a classic example of that as it was the Lady Pioneers defense creating 15 turnovers from McMinn- most of which came in that 2nd half.

Best of luck to Heather Butler, Aubrey Reedy and Heather Griffin as they'll move on to play for former coach Kevin McMillan at UTM. They are outstanding ladies both on and off the court and will make their mark with the Skyhawk women's program. Congrats again -- :mrgreen:

First, let me say I'm not a fan from either MC or GC. However, I watched the championship game on TV last Saturday. I have to say this was an awesome game. Although I hadn't seen either team play in person this year, I was aware of the talent on the GC team as I saw them in the state tournament last year. Consequently, I felt that GC would win the game. After watching, I believe the best team won in the end. That is not to diminish the great performance by MC. I have to say I'm somewhat disappointed at the "choke" talk being carried on in this thread. Really I don't see how MC could have played better while building the 19 point lead. There were a few questionable shots taken by MC after GC started the come back, but if they go down, this discussion is probably totally different. To expect to maintain that level of play for an entire game is a little unrealistic, but I don't prescribe to the notion that you automatically go into a stall to preserve the win. First, it's very difficult to hold the ball when that's not your game (the coach should know his team better than anyone else). Secondly, it's difficult to hold the ball against a team like GC. To further support this point, I think the decision by the GC to hold the ball the last couple of minutes after regaining the lead was questionable (or at least the manner they chose to do it, i.e. wrong person handling the ball at times). MC got a tie up (and possession) during this time. BTW, I don't think the MC player stepped out of bounds after seeing the TV replay. If that sequence goes differently, the end could have been more exciting. Regardless of what you think the strategy should or should not have been, I choose to congratulate both teams on excellent performances instead of second-guessing the coaches and detracting from I thought was an overall great game! It's too bad either team had to lose. My 2 cents...

McMinn Central played a great game & it could have gone either way. Looking back on it now, it was a very exciting and entertaining game! In the moment, it was hard to appreciate what McMinn did in the first half & what GC did in the second. Thats why as a GC fan, I would love to see the game on tape now that it's finally sunk in that GC won! Both teams had a great season & every reason to be proud. Congratulations! Both #11's put on a show, but each team played as a team and it was an impressive performance by both groups.

Would like to congratulate polk co for having zero class..We cheered for yall in your first round game, yet in the championship game you sit in our section and cheer for gibson...I understand we're rivals but way to have no class..

Polk County kids were just jealous that they weren't good enough to make it the finals! That just shows they have NO class!!!!!!!!

Way to go Chargerettes on a great season and great game! You made us all proud of you!

Reading through these posts i found this one to be the most interesting. Seriously your worried about who someone cheers for? Why not worry that you blew a led of 19 points or be thankful that you made the championship game or that you had the easier road to the the championship, take your pick but don't start blasting a school for not liking you. I have no connection with polk county but i will be the first to say that i was glad you got beat and how it happened, because it makes you cocky enough to think that you were as good as Gibson county. When in reality, Gibson didn't play as good as I have seen them play all season.

Would like to congratulate polk co for having zero class..We cheered for yall in your first round game, yet in the championship game you sit in our section and cheer for gibson...I understand we're rivals but way to have no class..

Polk County kids were just jealous that they weren't good enough to make it the finals! That just shows they have NO class!!!!!!!!

Way to go Chargerettes on a great season and great game! You made us all proud of you!

Reading through these posts i found this one to be the most interesting. Seriously your worried about who someone cheers for? Why not worry that you blew a led of 19 points or be thankful that you made the championship game or that you had the easier road to the the championship, take your pick but don't start blasting a school for not liking you. I have no connection with polk county but i will be the first to say that i was glad you got beat and how it happened, because it makes you cocky enough to think that you were as good as Gibson county. When in reality, Gibson didn't play as good as I have seen them play all season.

"but i will be the first to say that i was glad you got beat and how it happened, because it makes you cocky enough to think that you were as good as Gibson county. When in reality, Gibson didn't play as good as I have seen them play all season."

The opposing team must not have had anything to do with Gibson playing a subpar game. At least that sound like what you are saying. McMinn Central had nothing to do with the game being close???? It was only because Gibson didn't play well? Give me a break.

Seriously....no matter what you think.....the 2 best teams played and played great games! I am not sure what you are reading...because nowhere in my post did I ever say "we are as good as Gibson County" as you say I did. You are the one making "cocky" responses. I will go on record as saying congratulations to Gibson County on the win and to the Chargerettes for a great game!

Thought this thread was about the Gibson, Central Game. But, since you keep bringing Polk fans into it. Sorry they don't want to or can't cheer for you, SORRY! Jealous?? You had the luck of the draw which means so much in state tourny play.Congrats to both teams. Coming from a Polk fan. Region Champs. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Home of the GOLD BALL!!!! :thumb:

Thought this thread was about the Gibson, Central Game. But, since you keep bringing Polk fans into it. Sorry they don't want to or can't cheer for you, SORRY! Jealous?? You had the luck of the draw which means so much in state tourny play.Congrats to both teams. Coming from a Polk fan. Region Champs. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Home of the GOLD BALL!!!! :thumb:

Lets see...South Green wore Polk(20+) out in the FIRST round. Gibson completely dismantled South Green(~40). Central played Gibson within 3. Don't see how the draw had much to do in the end. Central ended up playing Gibson in the end anyway. Polk cant play Boro style ball. Thats why their ball is 30 years old...and they havnt been able to manage even a silver ball since.

The Gibson County radio station covering the state tournament replayed Saturday's game last night. OMG! My nerves were on fire again. The only thing that saved me was already knowing the outcome. :thumb: That was definitely one awesome game. It's one that I think will go down in the books for many years to come. Congrats to both teams for a great game, but especially to my Lady Pioneers for their back to back gold ball. GC loves you! Thanks for the ride. :thumb::?