Meigs looking for new coach

I agree with the last post all the name dropping and now lets not say anything, that person that says they know who it is may very well know but then again it could be someone blowing smoke, In any case I hope he is right and there is a coach getting ready to be announced but as small as Meigs is if it were true somebody would know and the secret would already be out. The coach that the poster was talking about sounds like a really good coach but then again, if it's a Tennessee coach, school is over and I think Baker would be ready to make the announcement and not wait six days or at least with all the turmoil surrounding the search I would think he would be ready to make the announcement yesterday. So here we are speculating again on who it is, it must be someone of such importance that making the announcement now would cut into his bonus or TV deal who is it Bill Cower, sorry just frustrated with the whole search, because it could have been handled alot better than it was. I keep going back to the players because the only people being hurt by this are the players, the adminstration should have considered that before Eller was let go. Make the announcement and quit being so secretive. Just frustrated at the whole thing.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I considered not even saying anything until the ink is wet but I saw on your boards where kids were leaving the program and I don't want to see them miss a great opportunity. Your administration has done a great job of keeping this out of the public eye and this has been a rather quick turnaround. His name is nowhere on your boards and I can also understand your frustration as it looks like you guys have been through it regarding coaching interviews.

The reason I have not named him is simple, until the ink is on the paper....nothing is final. The paperwork is scheduled to be signed after Memorial Day as he is coming from out-of-state to sign. There is already a verbal agreement and he will be house-hunting on Monday with me. I know you guys see a ton of rumors but I can assure you, your administration has served you well, very well.

I considered not even saying anything until the ink is wet but I saw on your boards where kids were leaving the program and I don't want to see them miss a great opportunity. Your administration has done a great job of keeping this out of the public eye and this has been a rather quick turnaround. His name is nowhere on your boards and I can also understand your frustration as it looks like you guys have been through it regarding coaching interviews.

The reason I have not named him is simple, until the ink is on the paper....nothing is final. The paperwork is scheduled to be signed after Memorial Day as he is coming from out-of-state to sign. There is already a verbal agreement and he will be house-hunting on Monday with me. I know you guys see a ton of rumors but I can assure you, your administration has served you well, very well.

Ok Montana you seem to know whats going on with this situation and brother I hope your right this program has been thru enough but the fact remains the whole process has been a joke from day 1, I have said all along that Rick Holliday deserved the job and he went to Baker 2 weeks ago still wasn't considered which is nothing more than a slap in the face, If your guy is that good then that's good for the program but has Baker or anyone bothered to tell the players someone has been hired the players are saying no one has told them anything which again if true then thats just something else this adminstration has mis handled. I hope your guy is the best for the job these players deserve someone who is going to teach them and care about them, they have that with Coach Holliday I just hope they get it from Coach X. Still frustrated because to this point it has not been handled proper what so ever.

NBC, I have heard good things about Coach Holliday and I hope he will be able to serve under the new staff. It will be good for the kids to have some local coaches still on board and I hope this is the case. I hope you will spread the word inside Meigs Co. to keep these players holding steady for a few more days and then they will see it was worth the wait. I have been through a few of these changes before with staffs/coaches/administration and this seems like one that has been very frustrating to all parties involved. Stay tuned as we are getting closer to next week's announcement......

NBC, I have heard good things about Coach Holliday and I hope he will be able to serve under the new staff. It will be good for the kids to have some local coaches still on board and I hope this is the case. I hope you will spread the word inside Meigs Co. to keep these players holding steady for a few more days and then they will see it was worth the wait. I have been through a few of these changes before with staffs/coaches/administration and this seems like one that has been very frustrating to all parties involved. Stay tuned as we are getting closer to next week's announcement......

Meigs will evenually hire a head coach but a new staff will never happen. This is high school football at a small school. Teaching positions must be open, which I doubt is the case. I know Harris and Holiday both have tenure, with Harris being a homer and Holiday making roots. If a new coach got to hire and fire his own staff at Meigs it would be the first time.

Meigs will evenually hire a head coach but a new staff will never happen. This is high school football at a small school. Teaching positions must be open, which I doubt is the case. I know Harris and Holiday both have tenure, with Harris being a homer and Holiday making roots. If a new coach got to hire and fire his own staff at Meigs it would be the first time.

So what positions do Harris and Holiday coach? Sounds like this guy coming in has his offensive and defensive philosophy, so I guess they will just have to fall in and help the kids transition. If Holiday is this great coach that you say, he should be able to adapt easily. I haven't heard no one say anything good about Harris. I hope he is a good guy too and can adapt to whatever the system is. If not, the coach doesnt have to keep them on staff, he can choose to go without. For the kids sake I hope the other two coaches help in the transition as well though!

So what positions do Harris and Holiday coach? Sounds like this guy coming in has his offensive and defensive philosophy, so I guess they will just have to fall in and help the kids transition. If Holiday is this great coach that you say, he should be able to adapt easily. I haven't heard no one say anything good about Harris. I hope he is a good guy too and can adapt to whatever the system is. If not, the coach doesnt have to keep them on staff, he can choose to go without. For the kids sake I hope the other two coaches help in the transition as well though!

I never said Holiday is a great coach, and Harris has rarely been mentioned in this thread. They should adapt to just about anyone, this will be the fourth head coach for Holiday and third for Harris.

Listen, coaches are hired as teachers first. The system works like this, teachers/coaches have already been rehired for next school year. If there is an teaching position open, and the school is needing a coach, the school will try to find a coach that is qualified to teach that position. This is the way it works at all small schools. I can assure you that a coach will not have the power to hire and fire who he wants.

Looks like we got some play here and some good conversation, ok Montana we have to wait but waiting is not how to handle this, if there was a coach in play it should have been announced papers or not they had a verbal introduce him at least to the staff and players, now, as far as him being able to bring his own people good luck there tnsport and dc are right this is high school there has to be a teaching job for them and pretty much all teachers have been re hired for next year that are going to stay, unless his coaches are so loyal they want to work for free as volunteer coaches. As for Holliday he will adapt just fine if the new coach is smart he will leave the defense alone and maybe just tweek it but if Holliday is smart he will bide his time there is a head job out there for him and shame on Clint Baker for not giving him a chance. As for Zack Harris, he is a pretty good guy but he was put in a position he wasn't ready for he is from what I have seen a good position coach but guiding the offense should be left to someone with a little more experience, one knock on Harris as the offensive coord. is that he cannot a will not adapt to what another defense does prime example Sweetwater and Pigeon Forge last year Meigs had both games won and play calling got them beat, you can't trap and run up the middle all night mix it up a little he claimed they couldn't throw the ball but when a defense puts 10 guys in the box a 5 yard dump pass would gain alot of yards, I don't know who coached special teams someone said it was Gene Davis but he is gone so no sense talking about him. So heres the thing is the new coach willing to step on someones feet here in Meigs, Holliday is fine as d coord. but Harris needs to step back and coach what he knows best, is the new coach ready to make that decision from the get go, all I can say is good luck because changing the system here has never been done and I can't see the new guy changing it either.

I understand where Montana is coming from. Nothing is official until papers are signed, and cant be an introduction if the guy is coming in from out of town. Usually people find out before they are supposed to through the rumor mill, but in this case, seems like Baker is keeping this under wraps so he is not disappointed again by someone turning it down at the last minute. Im guessing an announcement would be made Tuesday or Wednesday if this guy is coming in town Monday. As for Holiday, it's not a shame on Baker for not hiring him, obviously he didnt have the same faith in him as a head coach as you do.

This guy coming in, if he has his own system. I'd say stick to his system because if he changes who he is to fit an assistant coach, then he isnt doing his brand of coaching, and at the end of the day, he is the one who is responsible for wins and losses. I would walk in and introduce MY system to the coaches that are there and whoever he can bring in, and everyone can adapt from there. Im guessing if the teaching positions are open, he can bring in what, two more coaches. Hopefully two of his guys and teach the other two coaches what he needs done and coach his way. If he loses his way and then he loses, but if he loses trying to be someone he is not, then that is just dumb on his part. (When Montana says attacking defense, Im guessing the 5-2 is out)

And just to defend Baker a little here, if you are trying to change the culture of a team, you dont hire someone who has been a part of that culture for change. You need to hire someone with a vision, a different voice. Obviously Baker has been reaching out for that different voice for a while and hopefully now, he has his guy. I dont even know the guy but I am excited for a shakeup!

For the record, he is a multiple 4-3 attack style defense and he is an oc/dc in his previous stints as well as head coaching experience. On his last staff, he had 7 coaches that were not inside the school system. This includes the oc and dc, too. I know he has already spoken to both of them to come on board as well. This guy has a large circle of friends in the area that are willing to help him out in major roles so don't pigeon hole yourselves into teaching positions. I am telling you guys, there are three or four coaches waiting in the wings (most of them already in the area) for this to occur.

You guys can throw out the fifty defense and you can throw out 3 yards and a cloud of dust because there is a change coming!!!!!!! Be prepared for zone schemes, play action passing and multiple formations on offense and lots of blitzing on defense out of a multiple 4-3/4-4 scheme.

This coach has my vote already! I like the idea of change! And if he has that kind of following, it will really be a makeover there! Good Luck "new coach"! I guess we know there will be a new oc and dc on board, which is refreshing. Spread them out and still run the ball well. and the 4-3 gives you the opportunity to do so much! the question is with all of this change coming in, will the other two coaches jump on board or be a cancer within? I hope no one is BITTER they didnt get the job and then sabotage these kids development!