Meigs looking for new coach

It should be all about the kids and nothing else. But its not. The timing of the whole mess was bad. Most schools/coaches make changes as soon as the season is over. This gives everyone ample opportunity to find another job/find another coach. When did Meigs make the move, late Feb early March? At this point Meigs is going to have trouble finding a quality coach that will be loyal. Keep in mind that loyalty goes both ways. Are coaches unwilling to go to Meigs because of amount of turnover they have in the coaching ranks? Why so much turnover?

Whatever the reason, fix it for the kids. The admin has already put these kids behind and the longer it drags out the worse it will be. Whats the deal with Holiday? Is he not capable or is it personal? No one should question his loyalty at this point, maybe the lack of loyalty comes from the school.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think the turnover is because they continue to hire the same kind of coach as opposed to hiring someone a little outside their comfort zone?

Athough i agree with you on hiring outside, i would have to disagree on hiring the same kind of coach. The last 2 coaches were totally different. Martin was stern, demanded discipline from his players and ate football 3 meals a day. Whereas Eller, he was laid back, Relied alot on assts, although very knowledgeable of the game, didnt have the fire he once had.

Hiring coaches in a small school like Meigs is somewhat different than hiring in a larger school like Mcminn, Bradley,Ooltewah, etc. Most coaches that apply are probably making close to the same being an asst at a larger school than a head coach makes at a smaller school, so it takes a leap of faith sometimes for these guys to up and move their families and not getting a big raise. Larger schools have supporting booster clubs to help with moving expenses and sometimes salaries to make it a more appealing job. The talent level seems to stay somewhat similar year after year at larger schools because you have larger feeder schools sending players every year. With that being said, I would not want to be in Bakers shoes. I am sure he wants a head coach in place as much as everyone else and i am sure he will make the best decision for the school and players. JMO

Eller was laid back a little too much, yes you need to be able to depend on the asst. coaches but when a head coach sees that the ship is sinking he needs to step in and plug the hole, I'm sorry to say Eller didn't. I think one positive Meigs had last year was the defense, I know they had points put on them but when you play the short side of the field all game long theres only so many times a defense can stop the other team. Now back on subject, If Baker can't get someone to take the job soon then where does that leave the program? I know Baker is the principal but if he is not going to hire from with in then maybe he should see if it is possible for him to coach the team, if memory serves he was a good coach himself. I don't know if he can do it since he is administrative but it may be worth looking into. All in all spring practice is over tommorow and still no coach, this is not good for the kids I'm sure these guys want this to end soon and get a coach to lead them this fall, remember it's all about the players.

Some guy named Tommy Rewis might be the front runner for the job. He's the offensive coordinator for Ravenwoods JV team. Don't know how true it is but thats the latest. Seems like everytime a new name pops up about this coaching job we end up playing the waiting game before we find if they won't the job, I say give to the guy that wont's it RICKY HOLIDAY.

Who is that last name, never heard of him, one positive that I heard about yesterday was that Coach Holliday went to Baker and applied for the job I can't confirm because that's just what I heard and if that is true then Baker what are you waiting for pull the trigger and get Holliday in place so the program knows where it's heading. No one seems to want the job after it's been offered at least you have a guy that knows the program and should be ready to lead the tigers. Play time is over and the players need a coach, all that's doing now is hurting the kids by not getting a guy in place, Holliday may have not been the first choice but in alot of peoples eyes he would be the best choice, this has dragged on way too long your not going to hire a Gary Rankin or a George Quarles and I don't think Phil Fulmer is looking so Coach Baker do whats best for the team in the now hire Holliday and right this ship.

Who is that last name, never heard of him, one positive that I heard about yesterday was that Coach Holliday went to Baker and applied for the job I can't confirm because that's just what I heard and if that is true then Baker what are you waiting for pull the trigger and get Holliday in place so the program knows where it's heading. No one seems to want the job after it's been offered at least you have a guy that knows the program and should be ready to lead the tigers. Play time is over and the players need a coach, all that's doing now is hurting the kids by not getting a guy in place, Holliday may have not been the first choice but in alot of peoples eyes he would be the best choice, this has dragged on way too long your not going to hire a Gary Rankin or a George Quarles and I don't think Phil Fulmer is looking so Coach Baker do whats best for the team in the now hire Holliday and right this ship.

Holliday said after the scrimmage last week that he was going to go talk to Baker. He said the main priority for everybody should be the kids. ;)

Does anyone have a realistic idea of what is going to happen with this situation?

I say get Coach James to be head coach and let Rayl, Mr. Roberts, and Baker be assistants. Someone find Coach Webb. He can be another assistant and will definitely put the fire into those kids. Haha.