Meigs looking for new coach

The talent pool at Meigs isn't down the talent at the head coach position was down. The sophomore class is as good as any in the past they just need a coach that can get them to play hard and fast and at a high level. Eller never took charge of the that team that's why they had a bad season, no unity among the coachs is what killed them last year not the lack of talent.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The talent pool at Meigs isn't down the talent at the head coach position was down. The sophomore class is as good as any in the past they just need a coach that can get them to play hard and fast and at a high level. Eller never took charge of the that team that's why they had a bad season, no unity among the coachs is what killed them last year not the lack of talent.

So does this mean that meigs has more talent now than it did when they went to the state in the 90's..if this sophomore class is better than Tyrone Jenkins and Brian Peck and that bunch watch out for them next year. If that is the case as you have stated i hope they get the right coach in their to lead these young men. I'm not a meigs fan but they have a good football tradition and i hope they can get things turned around.

I think this sophomore call is as talented as Tyrone and Brian when they was sophomore, the deference is Eller ant the same coach he was back then when he coached Tyrone and Brian. Meigs, Polk, and all the small schools will never have the talent pool like Mcminn or Cleveland we have to take the players we got coach them up and get them to play with PRIDE and they did do that last year.

Meigs needs to go outside the system to get a coach and let him run the show free from the interference of parents and boosters. IMO some new blood needs to be injected into the program to get it turned around. The talent pool is down at Meigs Co. compared to years past. Whoever gets this job has their work cut out for themselves.

Maybe you know something the rest of us need to know. Interference, I must have missed something. Problem was not much effort was put into the coaching search when Martin left. As far as new blood, look across our region at the two most winning teams, Central and Polk. Winning with a Derrick (Central), Davis(Polk), coaching. I would say that is old blood in those schools. Old blood, new blood, it does'nt matter just work hard.

Talent isnt any lower than its ever been. We have won with less a less talented group. No they don't compare to the 1995 team so don't even try. As good as the 1995 team was I don't remember anyone signing D1, and certainly not SEC. So were they talented, somewhat, but mostly they were a team that was coached up. The most talented was in the late 70's early 80's. Wilson, Scott, and Moore all signed with UT. 3 kids on the same team that signed SEC. Never happened before at Meigs, never will happen again.

Just to straighten out facts....Wilson and Scott were on the same Meigs team for 3 years. Wilson grad of 81 and Scott 82. Neither played with Moore, who graduated in 1976. The 95 team had several who had college potential but chose to play other sports in college or didnt have the grades. People can say what they want and think what they want but, in my opinion, the talent level IS down. There are a few nice players, just not nearly enough. I keep hearing about all the talent walking the halls. Would love to know who that talent is and find out the REASON they are not playing. If a kid loves playing ball, which few do these days, they would play if Adolf Hitler was the coach. Again, MY OPINION!!!

Tigerpride you hit the nail on the head, I agree with you about them not being as talented as the late 70's and early 80's teams but we cant compare this team to the 95 team because most of the talent on this team are sophomore that 95 team had some seniors that were at there prime and had peak out. Lets give this group a chance to mature before we compare them to the great teams of the late 90's.

Just to straighten out facts....Wilson and Scott were on the same Meigs team for 3 years. Wilson grad of 81 and Scott 82. Neither played with Moore, who graduated in 1976. The 95 team had several who had college potential but chose to play other sports in college or didnt have the grades. People can say what they want and think what they want but, in my opinion, the talent level IS down. There are a few nice players, just not nearly enough. I keep hearing about all the talent walking the halls. Would love to know who that talent is and find out the REASON they are not playing. If a kid loves playing ball, which few do these days, they would play if Adolf Hitler was the coach. Again, MY OPINION!!!

You are 100% right AA. The talent level is just down, but should start going up in the next couple of years. The talent walking the halls is nonexistent. There may be a few that would make a difference but they won't play!

AA, think you are talking about Gary, I'm talking about Jeff. Name one player on the 95 team that was offered an SEC scholarship. Oldcat, I went to several middle school games this year, same amount of talent as we have now. Same as now, several keys athletes won't play, therefore putting us in the same position. Everyone has an opinion, this is mine. I'm not on here to argue, but to state the facts as I see them. This current group has had players leave,, or not play, that took us from a region contender to a region doormat. Any school our size cannot absorb defections for whatever reason. Why are the kids not interested, only they could answer that.

AA your capital letters scare me, relax man. Everyone has different opinions, accept it. :thumb:

Now back on topic, any news about a coach?

I think the reason they dont play is because they just dont have the get up and go like they used to. Very few want to put in the work to be a successful football player. I keep hearing that they are playing other sports but right now none of the programs are having banner years. Too many things to do other than play ball. A lot of it has to do with school and community pride. Meigs High right now has the worst school pride/spirit that I have ever seen anywhere. Go to any sporting event and you are lucky if you see 20 students at the game. I dont think the powers that be are addressing this problem in any way. There are no pep rallys for football games and if they do choose to have one it lasts maybe 15 minutes. Student ticket prices are too high and some simply cant afford to come to the games. Not until the pride comes back will the players come out. Like most places the kids will come out if the program is successful but its a two edged sword, gonna be hard to be successful if the kids dont come out. I dont know the solution but, I do know, somebody better start addressing it and addressing it quick or its going to get worse before it gets better.

And as far as the capital letters thing I was just making sure everybody knew that was just MY opinion not a confrontation.

I think the reason they dont play is because they just dont have the get up and go like they used to. Very few want to put in the work to be a successful football player. I keep hearing that they are playing other sports but right now none of the programs are having banner years. Too many things to do other than play ball. A lot of it has to do with school and community pride. Meigs High right now has the worst school pride/spirit that I have ever seen anywhere. Go to any sporting event and you are lucky if you see 20 students at the game. I dont think the powers that be are addressing this problem in any way. There are no pep rallys for football games and if they do choose to have one it lasts maybe 15 minutes. Student ticket prices are too high and some simply cant afford to come to the games. Not until the pride comes back will the players come out. Like most places the kids will come out if the program is successful but its a two edged sword, gonna be hard to be successful if the kids dont come out. I dont know the solution but, I do know, somebody better start addressing it and addressing it quick or its going to get worse before it gets better.

Nailed it :flower:

And as far as the capital letters thing I was just making sure everybody knew that was just MY opinion not a confrontation.