6 classifications for basketball?

bobcatfan300

What do you think of making basketball like football with 6 classifications? 1-100 for the smallest, 101-300, 301-500, 501-800, 801-1000, 1000-1400, and 1400 and up...or something like that. Right now there are schools with 100 or less trying to beat much bigger...schools like Jackson Co. with over 500 for example. This has worked for football and could be great for basketball...more schools would have a chance to go to a state tournament, TSSAA would make more money so they would have to go for it, etc.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you think of making basketball like football with 6 classifications? 1-100 for the smallest, 101-300, 301-500, 501-800, 801-1000, 1000-1400, and 1400 and up...or something like that. Right now there are schools with 100 or less trying to beat much bigger...schools like Jackson Co. with over 500 for example. This has worked for football and could be great for basketball...more schools would have a chance to go to a state tournament, TSSAA would make more money so they would have to go for it, etc.

Three classes for public schools seems to be working rather well! If it ain't broke, why try to fix it? Bet you weren't complaining about the system when your school was winning state championships a few years ago.

I seriously doubt anything will change but it does seem like a good idea. For example Big Sandy has 350 students k-12 and in our region we have to go against Humboldt, Union City. Lake County and Trenton. I do not know their enrollment numbers but figure they are quite a big bigger than we are :roflolk:

I seriously doubt anything will change but it does seem like a good idea. For example Big Sandy has 350 students k-12 and in our region we have to go against Humboldt, Union City. Lake County and Trenton. I do not know their enrollment numbers but figure they are quite a big bigger than we are :roflolk:

I believe Lake Co High school has around 260 students and Lake Co is having to go against Trenton and Humbolt now in football also during the regular season,even though we do drop down to Single A in the playoffs while they go Double A...I'm sure it's hard for some of the schools even smaller than Lake Co when you consider that half the students may be girls..then a lot of the students are freshmen..so it cuts down the ratio pretty good.

Funny that you'd mention Jackson Co. as an example,because if I remember correctly,the ladies team won a handful of gold balls in AA before the reclassification to A,right?At that time they were one of the smallest in AA(enrollment actually at the single A level for a while) and competed against much larger schools, with pretty impressive results! I say leave well enough alone,as the way things stand it is a very honorable accomplishment to make it to the glass house,period. You cannot win the state title if your'e not good enough to get there!"Watering down" the field,i.m.h.o. would lessen the feeling of achiveing a lofty goal,just by playing your way to Murfreesboro. :roflolk:

Could we have one for schools with students of a population of 478???

(By the way, that is my school's enrollment and we needs a gold ball :popcorneater: )

I'm not sure it's as much classification hurting a lot of the small schools as it is with tranfers..That's the only thing I wish the TSSAA would do something about.I know there is nothing wrong if a family moves and that student transfers to another school..But that's it..make the family make a legimate move.Lake Co probably has lost a state championship in football and maybe a chance of state championships in basketball..Andre Flowers being allowed to go to Dyer Co to play football cost Lake Co a state championship..no doubt about it in my mind..Lake Co was already loaded with Brandon Springer and Yancey and others..But the thing was..he lived in Lake Co but drove to Newbern every day..In basketball,Trey Shaw ,about 6'4 drove to Dyersburg all four years from Tiptonville and started for the Trojans.Just think how he would have helped Lake Co..In girls basketball..Lake Co was loaded but Trey's sister ended up doing the same thing..drove to Dyersburg to play for the Trojans ..Also believe that same year the Barker girls were driving from Tiptonvile to Troy to play for Obion Central.Believe one of them may have been up for Miss Basketball..can't remember ..but believe she signed with UTM or had an offer..But they at least probably had a case for a hardship because their Dad taught in the miidle school system at Obion Co..Still..all these losses have hurt Lake Co.There are rumours that Andre's brother along with maybe two more Lake Co football and basketball players may go to Dyer Co next year.Lake Co has a very good pitcher in the 7th grade ,Stover kid..won the state championship 2 years ago for their age group.His mom told me he is definitely going to Dyer Co.Her older son has been a 3 year starter at Lake Co in baseball was wasn't allowed to play this year.That also may play a decision with the younger son.Anyway..This is what's killing the small schools.I believe I remember York losing about 4 players a couple years ago.Maybe to Clarkrange..not sure to what school.But the schools that have schools within a few miles from them really benefit.The TSSAA allows them to go to any school at the start of the freshman years.The TSSAA should make any player not zoned for that school sit out a year if he wants to play sports at another school.Because of AAU and open gyms a lot of top schools are going to keep getting star players..But at least make them move...In Lake Co's caes..they were going to another county about 50 miles away round trip each day..No way should the TSSAA allow this to happen.Like I read about Melrose...a couple of their players were from Cordova..make them sit a yearif they want to drive to another school not in their zone.Just like Union City and Obion Central.Not but about a 7 to 10 minute drive.Easy to get to either school..But if a kid is zoned for Union City..go to Union City..if the kid still likes Central that much..don't keep them from going..just sit out of athletics a year..That would stop a lot of what's going on.Nobody wants to miss a year.!

bigster....Let me give you an example of the deal at UC and OC...We live in Union City...

Out of junior high my son decided to go to Union City (he had gone to the county school system K-8)...He went to UC and played football and the very start of the basketball season...Over the Thanksgiving break his freshman year he decided he wanted to go to OC...OK....He had played football and basketball...We didn't move...He had to sit out a calender year...He would not have been able to play football at OC his soph year and he wasn't eligible to play basketball until four or five games into his soph year...You can't just go back and forth and not sit out a calender year without a bonafide change of residence..

If you think transfers are bad here, check this out...I work in Mayfield,Ky....I got a friend that I work with who has a daughter that goes to Graves County...She is a freshman this year and a pretty good ball player...There are about 7 or 8, maybe more, girls that have transferred out of Graves to play elsewhere in West Ky...For example, there is a girl, a freshman, on the Murray, Ky team that made All Purchase for West Ky...She still lives in Mayfield (neighbors with my friend actually)...There is a girl that plays for Hickman Co that still lives in Graves Co...My friend has had coaches from other schools openly try to get his daughter to come play for them...Murray, Hickman Co, Carlisle Co and Mayfield included...She wouldn't even have to sit out any and play....

bigster....Let me give you an example of the deal at UC and OC...We live in Union City...

Out of junior high my son decided to go to Union City (he had gone to the county school system K-8)...He went to UC and played football and the very start of the basketball season...Over the Thanksgiving break his freshman year he decided he wanted to go to OC...OK....He had played football and basketball...We didn't move...He had to sit out a calender year...He would not have been able to play football at OC his soph year and he wasn't eligible to play basketball until four or five games into his soph year...You can't just go back and forth and not sit out a calender year without a bonafide change of residence..

If you think transfers are bad here, check this out...I work in Mayfield,Ky....I got a friend that I work with who has a daughter that goes to Graves County...She is a freshman this year and a pretty good ball player...There are about 7 or 8, maybe more, girls that have transferred out of Graves to play elsewhere in West Ky...For example, there is a girl, a freshman, on the Murray, Ky team that made All Purchase for West Ky...She still lives in Mayfield (neighbors with my friend actually)...There is a girl that plays for Hickman Co that still lives in Graves Co...My friend has had coaches from other schools openly try to get his daughter to come play for them...Murray, Hickman Co, Carlisle Co and Mayfield included...She wouldn't even have to sit out any and play....

I know what you mean but I was even talking about myself..I have a son that's went to Dyer Co for 10 years..Because we go to all the Lake Co games,he decided he wanted to go to Lake Co this year..We live in Newbern.He drives everyday..Should it be allowed..I don't think so but it's the rules the TSSAA have.I know just about all the transfer rules.I called Lake Co about him coming to school there and playing baseball..I was told by the athletic director that he didn't think he could play at Lake Co without sitting out a year and us not making a move..I told him that he could.He said he didnt see how..I told him that the rule says that if a student doesn't have a sports record of any kind..that they could.He still didn't believe the rule so had me contact the TSSAA..They told me he was eligible..But I also knew I had two choices..Move to Lake Co in case he didnt like it and then move back without sitting at either place or if he starts playing at Lake Co without moving..then he was basically at Lake Co.With him being a junior..if he decided to go back to Dyer Co..he couldn't play ball there his senior year.My son is the player that was hopefully going to be one of the pitchers this year....He'll be released from the doctor Tuesday so will still be behind everybody.He just told me minutes ago that the doctor still wants him to go to therapy and throw like from the pitchers mound to first base..not just start slinging it from 3rd base to first base..Not sure if he'll even be able to do anything this year.!But even in his case..if he wanted to go to Lake co..I think the TSSAA should have made him sit a year.!

I seriously doubt anything will change but it does seem like a good idea. For example Big Sandy has 350 students k-12 and in our region we have to go against Humboldt, Union City. Lake County and Trenton. I do not know their enrollment numbers but figure they are quite a big bigger than we are :popcorneater:

I bet you remember the wins over those four schools more so than all of the other wins put together.

bigster...If my son had gone to OC and wanted to play baseball his freshman year he could have...You are right about the athletic record thing....You have to sit out a calender year if you played a particular sport at the school you transferred from and want to play that sport at the school you transfer to...That's been my understanding...