Running up the Score?

Luvdagame

With the new TSSAA districting there are some very lopsided matches that have been established in the process. Schools in larger metropolitan areas with more access to soccer playing and training versus rural areas with limited access to game time or training. In a recent match I witnessed a coach putting his starting fowards back into a match when the score was already 7 - nil and the opposing (losing) team was using their second and third string at all positions. The forwards were turned loose and encouraged to run up the score fueled by yelling parents and poor attitudes by players on the field.

Since when was soccer about humiliating an opponent? Is this not the same as tolerating bullying in the schools? What are athletes really learning when placed in such situations? I do remember Bear Bryant's response when he was constantly asked about running up the score in SEC football, "Get better!" Maybe a good quote for that setting and the media, but bad sportsmantship on any level.

Soccer is supposed to be the "beautiful game." Why are we allowing certain programs and coaches to turn something beautiful into something very ugly?

- Luvdagame

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless there is a situation that requires (and thus encourages) a goal differential or goals scored total as a tie breaker or point award to advance (i.e. tournament) there is no need to run up a score, and in fact is not smart on the part of a coach. 1-0 gets you the W, 3-0 sends any kind of message a team feels the need to send. 10-0 is plain ridiculous.

Among the reasons not to do it are:

Sportsmanship

Risk of Injury to Starters

Missed opportunity to get bench players minutes

Making your program a target of such humiliation when the tables are turned

A smart coach, be it school, club or even rec soccer will enforce a multiple pass rule, or some other score controlling tactic (score must be on headers, certain number of touches or passes). It is not uncommom for teams to pull players and play 10 v 11 or 8 v 11 etc. in blow-out matches. Keep away or playing a man down may not be less humiliating to some opponents, but it gives the winning team some structure and restraint, forcing possession and in essence improving their ball skills. The flipside is always the balance of reigning in forwards that are coached to attack and score...score...score.

Parents and fans that encourage or promote running up the score are soccer illiterate in my honest opinion.

I was told long ago that I "didn't understand the game" when I witnessed a coach run up the score on a young travel team. The score was something like 13 to 0 and he brought his keeper up to score, too! Didn't replace him, just let him leave the goal wide open and take a shot.

I do have a strong love for the game but I am bothered when a young man is allowed by his coach to take a bow to the opposing crowd after he scores immediately following a hotly contested call.

The lack of civility based on a coach's actions and encouraging and rewarding players to participate in poor sportsmanship is allowing the "beautiful" game to become very ugly.

While soccer has made great strides in popularity and had an enourmous explosion in participation in the USA, I'm afraid we are a long way from erasing the American mentality of "more is better". We have American sports where you get six points for just making it to a place on the field and up to 3 points for kicking the ball through an uncontested upright while your teammates hold off the defenders. Imagine soccer scores given those rules!! Even Indoor soccer in the US adopted an "extra point" line!!!

Americans who dislike soccer always complain that it is "low scoring" because the mentality is taught to us that a basketball game with scores under 90 points is a "low scoring" = "poor offensive effort" affair.

It's that mentality that spills into scores being run up.

While I have never thought you could label a 5-0 defeat as well played on the losing side, I have seen countless 1-nil matches where both teams performed superbly and those scorelines are often the best spectacles in sport. Offense always gets the headlines, is always in the stat column and is what many judge a player or team on. True afficiandos of sport know the importance of defense.

I agree with pretty much all that has been posted. I do want to stress that running up the score is a no no between two teams that are not on the same level. However, I have seen very hotly contested games that ended up with lopsided scores which is sometimes the nature of the game. 6 or 7 to 0 or 1 where the team in the lead was not clearly dominant anywhere except on the scoreboard. Maybe they were better finishers or maybe the other team was all around the goal but not in, or even that the goalie was simply outstanding. I have also seen the flip side where the coach has put his reserves in only for them to score as well. In some areas the disparity is so great that your JV team might beat my varsity team handily. I have also seen games where the coach of the losing team said to the other coach not to let up. If you do they won't understand how hard they have to work. So don't give them a false sense of accomplishment.

In essence though harsh I think Bear Bryant was right. The difference is the word "INTENT". I have never met a coach with the Cobra Kai philosophy from the Karate Kid that you haven't won until you have humiliated your opponent. I'm not saying they are not out there, only that I haven't met them. I think parents take a stronger view of a big loss than the kids in most instances and ultimately how the kids view it is what matters most and the mark of a good coach. Good coaching is not just about winning but also about learning and teaching.

First off, kudos to BarcaFan for the Cobra Kai reference. Nice!

There is a difference between running the score up and scoring a lot of goals. I think the original situation were the team was already 7-0 up and the original forwards were put in to score more is unacceptable. However, I AM NOT in favor of not allowing JV players the opportunity to fully play the game because the score is high.

Normally at a score of 4 or 5 goals up, I change the position of my starters and bring some of my subs in to play their positions. I like this because my starters get to work on different aspects of their game and the subs get time they may not get against higher quality opponents. After a couple more goals and if possible, all starters are out, all subs are in, and goalkeepers are playing the field. If we continue to score, I am sorry but I would not pull back. I truly believe that when your weakest players are in they should be given the opportunity to learn and show what they got. As a player, I know when someone is just patronizing me, and that is more embrassing than get crushed.

This year I was blessed/cursed with a 30 player roster and a high number of seniors and freshman. At 4 goals up, most of my starters were off the field and JV was on so that I could build for next year. If more of my starters were returning, I probably would have had them move positions first, but I felt we needed to get the newer players more time for next year. Next year may be different. Either way I may slow things down but I would not change the style of play.

I agree with parts of your comments, but there are certain situations when running up the score just happen.

The state record is Bearden in 2002. 22-0.

Farragut tried to get out of the game this year (2010) with William Blount, but since they are in the same district, William Blount wanted to play.

The risk of starters getting hurt is a price that is taken if you decide to run up the score.

Its the other teams job to stop you from scoring......as long as its done with class and the right attitude.

The recurrence of this topic sort of proves the point doesn't it. This phenomenon has been occurring far too long. With a wink of an eye we simply dismiss it as sour grapes and the offenders are never held accountable for poor sportsmanship or the irreparable damage done to the players or the game.

Thanks to everyone who has responded and for your well spoken responses.

I too realize, that High School soccer is not AYSO. But it is not the World Cup either, but especially there, lack of sportsmanship carries severe penalties.

I don't like to see the score run up, but... I don't want to see a team give up either. It appeared from the original post that the losing team had given up.

As stated - "I witnessed a coach putting his starting fowards back into a match when the score was already 7 - nil and the opposing (losing) team was using their second and third string at all positions."

I have always been taught not to give up. If the 2nd and 3rd stringers are playing when you are losing the 1st string gave up or the coach did.

If the opponent has given up why not use the end of the game to work on some particular aspect of your offense? The fact that he put his starting forwards back in means that they didn't try to run up the score as much as they could have. Maybe get them ready for their next game against a strong district team.

BigG. This has to be a record for how long it took this thread to post this year, right?

I was thinking the SAME thing!!! I just smiled when I saw the title of the topic. How often have we debated this over the years?

I really think that this year has been a pretty "down" year with scores. Usually, by this time, schools have dropped 17 on teams and the boards come on fire!

You all know how I feel about this.

Miss seeing you on the boards, Canes. Don't tell me you are breaking the Coach T addiction...

I agree with parts of your comments, but there are certain situations when running up the score just happen.

The state record is Bearden in 2002. 22-0.

Farragut tried to get out of the game this year (2010) with William Blount, but since they are in the same district, William Blount wanted to play.

The risk of starters getting hurt is a price that is taken if you decide to run up the score.

Its the other teams job to stop you from scoring......as long as its done with class and the right attitude.

About 4-5 years ago saw the same score with Greeneville and Cocke County 22-0. GHS had put all his freshmen in and told them to take 10 passes before scoring. They were still putting goals in. What do you do after that?