Hardin Valley @ Farragut

wanderer

Great Game despite the center ref who was giving out yellow cards for sneezing...but killing someone in the box was OK... Anyway, I just think we witnessed the changing of the Guard in Knoxville. Farragut has all the talent in the US but could not or would not figure out the scheme used by Hardin Valley...Great job of coaching. Both keepers did an excellent job as well. Farragut won this one 1-0 but I am sure these two teams will meet again down the road.

Hardin Valley has talent, speed, and plenty of heart. The game was even the whole time, and both teams had chances to score. NUMEROUS (too many to talk about) bad calls for both sides throughout the entire match that really took away from the game. Hats off to Hardin Valley and Coach McLean. Well coached, and really played like a "team" that wanted to win (and in my opinion, really deserved to win).

I would like a question answered:

If a Farragut player gets Yellow Carded, and Hardin Valley has 3 guys on the line to substitute in, then what happens........ Obviously Farragut gets to replace him, and then " I thought " Hardin Valley gets to sub in "1" player. 1 for 1 is what it has always been since I can remember.

Two times tonight, when both sides got a Yellow, the ref said that ALL 3 players were supposed to sub in.

When did this change?

If someone could please give me the CORRECT information, I would appreciate it.

I've had the opportunity to see both these teams three or so times this season. Farragut has three things going for them: talent, depth and more depth. I don't know about a changing of the guard but Hardin Valley's success so quickly speaks volumes about soccer in East Tennessee. HV has talent and takes their underdog status seriously. They give 100% from whistle to whistle. Having a club-level coach doesn't hurt, either.

soccerkeeper - I don't know how your comments could be offensive to anyone. With that said, your facts may be correct but I don't understand your point. Prior to HV opening, the students were zoned to go somewhere. Now they go where they are zoned. I don't want to offend anyone either but the bottom line is the successful high schools have significant numbers of club players on their rosters. What is the percentage of club players at Farragut, Bearden, CAK, Catholic, West, etc? I'd say it is close to 100%. It is absurd to think that a HS coach, regardless of his or her qualifications, could work a miracle and take a group of kids that had never played before and make them soccer players in a span of two to three weeks. Again, the success of Farragut, HV's quick rise, CAK, Bearden, West, etc is a tribute to East Tennessee soccer as a whole.

I think some of the kids that go to/play for HVA in any sport, live in the town of Farragut.. Now How they ended up zoned for HVA is beyond me, but to me that makes no sense. I know the town of Farragut doesn't control the Farragut schools, maybe this is a reason they should? I also think we will see another rezoning coming up, because I believe HVA is already close to being "overcrowded". When I was at Farragut I didn't think it was as terrible a situation as people made it seem like. If you just know what you are doing and where you are going, it's really not terrible. Now with 600 less kids than when I was there I am sure the place looks empty. With the new rezoning that I think will come up in the next few years, we will see the HVA kids that were zoned Farragut, going back to Farragut. If anyone has even been out by HVA all there is is room for houses. How Knox County could have overlooked the obvious isn't really beyond me, actually doesn't surprise me at all, but they should have just let the kids living right around it go there and let it grow on its own, instead of all this rezoning and moving kids from the schools they've been going to their whole life to make the school full when it opens only to get "overcrowded" within 3 years of it opening. Now they are just in the exact same situation they were in. Another "overcrowded" school, and parents who are overly concerned about something that doesn't matter. Of course, there's not a lot you can do about it now. And wow, I just realized that none of that even had to do with soccer?

Anywho..... congrats to Hardin Valley for putting up a fight. I was kind of expecting a 3-0 win atleast by Farragut. I think Farragut should watch out for HVA come post season. HVA could easily be the 3rd best public school in Knox County, maybe even East TN.

mad dawg.... Your point is well taken regarding club players being an important component of a successful soccer program. Alcoa has approximately 10 players with club experience. Some of them have only played one year or so of club and that may have been a few years ago. Of course we have those hard core players that play club every fall. I wish all our boys played club, but that is just not going to happen in our situation. We also have a good Middle School feeder system that supplies two or three quality players to the high school each year. Akula is also good at "coaching them up, because we have some players that have never played club or even Middle School soccer. There are a couple that I look at as they have played for only two or so years and I ask myself, "what if" they had started playing earlier, due to how they have developed in a short period of time. As you get away from a metro area (Knoxville for example), the soccer seems to go downhill the further out you go and I feel that is due to lack of local small town clubs. The move appears to be to form mega clubs and while I see the advantages in this, it is bad for the development of soccer in rural areas. Rural soccer development is a challenge at best and not happening at all at worst. Until a way can be figured out to grow soccer as football has grown, we will see state soccer dominated by the metro areas. Even the smallest of High Schools seem to have a football team and we need that to become the case with soccer as well.

In my opinion Hardin Valley will become a soccer power as long as the have good, stable coaching. It is a given they will have club players. It may be hard to imagine, but that will only make metro Knoxville soccer even more competitive then it already is.

soccerkeeper - I don't know how your comments could be offensive to anyone. With that said, your facts may be correct but I don't understand your point. Prior to HV opening, the students were zoned to go somewhere. Now they go where they are zoned.[/quote

My point was this: that HVA will just become a new Farragut because it obtaining all the players that would go to Farragut anyway. My point was not to offend Mike Mclean on an outstanding coaching job, but its not like its a new talant area that HVA is pooling from, thus the re-zoning question.