MIDDLE SCHOOL ALLSTAR GAME...??? FISHY!!!

youngcoach

Anyone else think this Allstar game is a recruiting ground for privates to get a free look at all the young talent. I know someone is gonna come back and say no way its for the kids just trying to give these kids every opportunity we can. I'd be willing to bet that a private school is behind its setup and that 95% of the public school kids that get picked end up with a private school. I gotta give them credit, they know how to work the system.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you look closely you will see that recruiting services are promoting this so that they can get the names of 100s, eventually 1000s, of 7th and 8th graders. They will then charge the parents fees over the next 5-6 years for helping their child find a scholarship.

I guess we keep finding out why Tennessee is so far behind other states in football. If it is something diffferent it must be bad. Give the people that put this on credit for trying something to get kids names out early. I don't think 8th graders make decisions on where they go to school PARENTS do. If you want to keep this recruiting down, WIN. Lets see in four years if this helps get kids looked at by colleges down the road. Until then ask yourself why T$$AA has 8 state champs, private is different from public. Why we pay 50% of gate to T$$AA of gate.If you are really in touch with high school sports, some coaches do not put thier players out.The athletes in Tennessee are just as good as other states but other states take football alot more serious than Tennessee. I have a friend that coaches in LA he does NOT teach but he does work at the school. Be positive and support the kids, then grade this in four years. Fishy, yes lets no help kids.

I'm not saying that I am against this allstar game or that its a bad thing for kids. I never said that. I'm just trying to get people to see it as what it is. Yes it gets kids names out there to recruiting services. Ask college coaches how many of them are checking the internet for middle school stars. Again anything that helps kids I am for. It just kills me how private schools get around all the recruiting rules. For you to think that all public schools have to do to compete with the privates is win is hilarious. Again I'm not saying this is a bad thing, I just wish TSSAA would govern it alot better. Parents are approached at these things nonstop and these privates are only recruiting prospective students that just happen to play ball. GIVE ME A BREAK!!! I guess advertising your sports programs in the state championship programs isn't recruiting either.

I'm not saying that I am against this allstar game or that its a bad thing for kids. I never said that. I'm just trying to get people to see it as what it is. Yes it gets kids names out there to recruiting services. Ask college coaches how many of them are checking the internet for middle school stars. Again anything that helps kids I am for. It just kills me how private schools get around all the recruiting rules. For you to think that all public schools have to do to compete with the privates is win is hilarious. Again I'm not saying this is a bad thing, I just wish TSSAA would govern it alot better. Parents are approached at these things nonstop and these privates are only recruiting prospective students that just happen to play ball. GIVE ME A BREAK!!! I guess advertising your sports programs in the state championship programs isn't recruiting either.

If I am not mistaken Josh Jones from Fulton has a big part in this and Maryville Middle's Head Coach will be the Head Coach for TN. Neither have private ties they simply want to get kids the same opportunities as high school kids.

I'd be willing to bet...that 95% of the public school kids that get picked end up with a private school.

Ninety-five percent? So, if the roster has 50 public school kids, then at least 48 have to go to a private school.

I'll book that bet on the 95% conversion prediction. How much? How about a plus membership to CoachT? You win, I buy you one; you lose, you buy your own.

PYMWYMI

Where did the $25 each kid had to pay just to tryout go? If you were really doing it "just for the kids" why charge a tryout fee?

My understanding was that this "tryout" was only for MS kids that were being nominated by their MS coaches, then in the Sunday paper I see it being advertised as basically a "come one come all".

Based on the numbers I heard trying out, it was a great fundraiser for somebody!

Where did the $25 each kid had to pay just to tryout go? If you were really doing it "just for the kids" why charge a tryout fee?

My understanding was that this "tryout" was only for MS kids that were being nominated by their MS coaches, then in the Sunday paper I see it being advertised as basically a "come one come all".

Based on the numbers I heard trying out, it was a great fundraiser for somebody!

Having been involved in putting on not for proffit combines in the past, a good portion of that $25 likely goes towards insurance covering both the organizer and the student/athlete, and the rest likely goes to a T-shirt and possibly facility charge. $25 isn't out of line.

Having been involved in putting on not for proffit combines in the past, a good portion of that $25 likely goes towards insurance covering both the organizer and the student/athlete, and the rest likely goes to a T-shirt and possibly facility charge. $25 isn't out of line.

The money probably covers a t shirt and snacks/gatorade and bottled water.

I guess we keep finding out why Tennessee is so far behind other states in football. If it is something diffferent it must be bad. Give the people that put this on credit for trying something to get kids names out early. I don't think 8th graders make decisions on where they go to school PARENTS do. If you want to keep this recruiting down, WIN. Lets see in four years if this helps get kids looked at by colleges down the road. Until then ask yourself why T$$AA has 8 state champs, private is different from public. Why we pay 50% of gate to T$$AA of gate.If you are really in touch with high school sports, some coaches do not put thier players out.The athletes in Tennessee are just as good as other states but other states take football alot more serious than Tennessee. I have a friend that coaches in LA he does NOT teach but he does work at the school. Be positive and support the kids, then grade this in four years. Fishy, yes lets no help kids.

That is easy for you to say. We play in a district with a private school who was just busted for TSSAA violations, and We have a tradition of winning-State Semi's this year. We would have killed to have some of Boyd-Buchannan's athletes. They were the better team. As far as Tennessee being behind the country, and high school coaches not getting their players out there, come on. Be honest, if a kid is good enough, colleges will find him. You can't be serious about the athletes in Tennessee. Look at how many D-1 atheltes pour out of Texas, Florida, Ohio, Georgia...Tennessee can't come close. Look at UT's roster, and Carson Newman's roster...that info speaks loudly. Don't get me wrong, I would love for our boys in Tennesee to Dominate, but the truth is what it is.

The money probably covers a t shirt and snacks/gatorade and bottled water.

25 isn't bad, but a t-shirt runs about between 6-7 dollars...Plus what about Sponsors? Wasn't it sponsored by businesses?

That is easy for you to say. We play in a district with a private school who was just busted for TSSAA violations, and We have a tradition of winning-State Semi's this year. We would have killed to have some of Boyd-Buchannan's athletes. They were the better team. As far as Tennessee being behind the country, and high school coaches not getting their players out there, come on. Be honest, if a kid is good enough, colleges will find him. You can't be serious about the athletes in Tennessee. Look at how many D-1 atheltes pour out of Texas, Florida, Ohio, Georgia...Tennessee can't come close. Look at UT's roster, and Carson Newman's roster...that info speaks loudly. Don't get me wrong, I would love for our boys in Tennesee to Dominate, but the truth is what it is.

Hey Waggle, In my opinion, the athletes in Tennessee are every bit as good as Texas, California and Georgia. I say this because I have watched High School Football in all those states. The difference is the sheer population numbers. Coaches at big times colleges go with the programs where the kids face the most competition. No one can say which kid in HS is gonna be a top college player. Its speculation. But, you can hedge your bet. For example

Trousdale Co would be very competitive in Texas. However, there are probably 40+ "Trousdale Counties" every year in Texas. The competition is fierce. So, if your Coach Dooley, and you have two boys, both 6'3", both 195 lbs, same 40 yd dash time, same GPA...etc....are you gonna pick the kid from Trousdale County, TN or Trousdale County, Texas. It's a gamble either way but the later has a resume against stiffer competition. You only get to make a few mistakes at that coaching level before the villagers storm the castle.

Now that the T$$AA has thinned out the championships even more, it's harder to compare kids with others in competition. Ultimately, it comes down to hard work. If you can get a group of kids to work hard, you will be successful. You don't have to "recruit" When Oneida won their state championship, there were only 3 classifications and we beat BGA in the championship.

I think the all star game is a great way of getting some of best kids around together and let them knock around. Great time in their life to gauge where they are at and what they need to do to improve. I guess it could be a pretense to recruit kids but in light of the trouble with Grace Christen, folks better becareful. The T$$AA had a lot more....teeth, then I thought they did.