Coaches in the Big 8

Can't disagree with any of those remarks.

How many county schools in the past three decades, though, can say that they pulled off the Tri-Cities hat trick by beating SH, DB, and TH in the same year? Jenkins and Boone has that one. When was the last county school to pull off just beating DB and either of the other two? Not many.

I'll have to agree FB, that was an amazing feat by Boone. And I agree with BatmanDB too, this might be Boone's last chance for a very long time. But, you never know, Jenkins is doing a fine job over there in Gray. Its just a matter of getting the athletes he needs to pull the hat trick again.

There are about 10 seniors who will be hard to replace after this group, give or take I would say 10 to 12. That means that you still have half the returning starters next year, all young, all with a lot of experience for 2011. Word is that all the Jr. Trailblazers stuff is finally paying off, so there are a ton of kids coming up who have a lot going for them and for the program. Long long time? I am not so certain about that. As strong as this years team should be....time will tell.

It should be said that if there is ever a year Boone should have a great shot at the conference, it is this year.

Dobyns Bennett will have more speed than they have had in the last several years.Two or three more speed guys would have made a big difference over the last few years.I'll have to pick the Tribe in 2010,and I'm just being honest and not trying to brag or anything.If someone beats them,I'll be the first to praise that,but I just don't think it will happen in the big 8.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dobyns Bennett will have more speed than they have had in the last several years.Two or three more speed guys would have made a big difference over the last few years.I'll have to pick the Tribe in 2010,and I'm just being honest and not trying to brag or anything.If someone beats them,I'll be the first to praise that,but I just don't think it will happen in the big 8.

Historically, I won't argue against you, but I just feel like that game between DB and DB will be the one. It'll be a tough one and a close one all the way. We don't have a lot of posters close to the Boone program who know what goes on day to day, but from what I saw last year there is a lot more speed in Gray than there used to be. I think it can keep up with the DB team, if not I see your point cause speed kills. From what's been said, DB should have a good team this year in Kingsport and I'll praise them when they hit the playoffs.

I would like to see any of these guys at Crockett just to see if they would have success.

I think Green has done a good job at Crockett. It is a tough place to win and he came close last year.

Also congrats to the assistant who got the head job at North Greene.

Honestly if they were down in 4A they would do a lot better...but they actually have more kids there than at Boone! Lots of them are not into farming and the leagues before then are just not built up...but still there is a lot of potential to make something!

Historically, I won't argue against you, but I just feel like that game between DB and DB will be the one. It'll be a tough one and a close one all the way. We don't have a lot of posters close to the Boone program who know what goes on day to day, but from what I saw last year there is a lot more speed in Gray than there used to be. I think it can keep up with the DB team, if not I see your point cause speed kills. From what's been said, DB should have a good team this year in Kingsport and I'll praise them when they hit the playoffs.

The problem with the playoffs for DB is Maryville was young last year and at some point Oak Ridge will be Oak Ridge.Then you get down to middle Tennessee where they play as good as anyone.We could build an {all big 8 allstar} team and still have our hands full with some of the great teams like Oakland,Riverdale,Symrna and the teams that jump up every year.Dobyns Bennett had three real good chances and lost toss up semi final games to the state champs in '98 and 2000.It would be nice to run the table but having Maryville in the mix that was allready stacked very tall,will take a very good team.DB was very slow last year compared to this years team.We have not had a healthy running back for a complete season for several years,and this year DB will have six or eight speed players to go with in the new offense.I just hope they are in the defensive backfield as well this year,and I would be shocked if they are not.

The problem with the playoffs for DB is Maryville was young last year and at some point Oak Ridge will be Oak Ridge.Then you get down to middle Tennessee where they play as good as anyone.We could build an {all big 8 allstar} team and still have our hands full with some of the great teams like Oakland,Riverdale,Symrna and the teams that jump up every year.Dobyns Bennett had three real good chances and lost toss up semi final games to the state champs in '98 and 2000.It would be nice to run the table but having Maryville in the mix that was allready stacked very tall,will take a very good team.DB was very slow last year compared to this years team.We have not had a healthy running back for a complete season for several years,and this year DB will have six or eight speed players to go with in the new offense.I just hope they are in the defensive backfield as well this year,and I would be shocked if they are not.

Maryville nearly won it all last year with a very young team. They went through Riverdale rather easily. As they were in 4A, Maryville will be a contender in 6A every year. In the current format, DB will meet Maryville within the first three rounds, but if they happen to win then they would stand a chance against the middle tennessee teams that you speak of. I agree that it will be a tall task. I believe the additional classes watered it down for some classifications, but it made 6A very difficult.

I think D-B was smaller last year than they usually are too. D-B is always a threat on the football field no matter what. I just hope Science Hill can start competing with D-B on a regular basis year in and year out. And people may disagree with me on my next comment, but I've been on the sidelines of Maryville watching them play and in my opinion . . . I don't see that big a difference of the athletes for Maryville than I see on the sidelines of a D-B, Science Hill game. Obviously the results are much different, but not a lot of difference in the overall athletes. Just my opinion. :thumb:

I think D-B was smaller last year than they usually are too. D-B is always a threat on the football field no matter what. I just hope Science Hill can start competing with D-B on a regular basis year in and year out. And people may disagree with me on my next comment, but I've been on the sidelines of Maryville watching them play and in my opinion . . . I don't see that big a difference of the athletes for Maryville than I see on the sidelines of a D-B, Science Hill game. Obviously the results are much different, but not a lot of difference in the overall athletes. Just my opinion. :thumb:

Science Hill has competed with DB well in many games over the years.In 2002,DB went to the semi's and just got by SH 7-3 that year.Our best athlete in the last several years came over from SH{Adams}.So we know how good the athletes are in johnson city.Maryville and those other teams in middle Tennessee are very good every year.Looks can be deceiving with Maryville,a mountain lion doesn't look much tougher than a big dog,{until it get's a hold of you}

I would like to see any of these guys at Crockett just to see if they would have success.

I think Green has done a good job at Crockett. It is a tough place to win and he came close last year.

Honestly if they were down in 4A they would do a lot better...but they actually have more kids there than at Boone! Lots of them are not into farming and the leagues before then are just not built up...but still there is a lot of potential to make something!

Size of the school helps but it is not the primary factor in the success of the school. It's the number of athletes in the school that matters. Boone has more student than Crockett. Actual numbers are 1130 at DC and 1250 at Boone. Both Green and Jenkins represented Wash Co well. They would love to have the budget and athletes that Clark, Stubbs, and Carter have year in and year out.

Size of the school helps but it is not the primary factor in the success of the school. It's the number of athletes in the school that matters. Boone has more student than Crockett. Actual numbers are 1130 at DC and 1250 at Boone. Both Green and Jenkins represented Wash Co well. They would love to have the budget and athletes that Clark, Stubbs, and Carter have year in and year out.[/quote]

This thread is a waste of time. I wrote it off as gossip. But you have made a statement that is totally unfounded. I can't speak for the City Schools but as for South there is no budget. Sullivan county is broke. Football attempts to pay for itself at South but still falls short. The South parent base is well versed in fund raising and donation brand money for all sports...not just football. If you are a football or a band parent then you have a job in regards to the football season. Which by the way is a 12 month ordeal at South. Every carpenter, electrician, plumber, painter, and laborer of any ability is an enterprised individual at South. There are many, but I give you one example of hard labor and the use of one's own money to accomplish a given task. Dr. Andy Collins (Father of Linebacker Chris Collins - 2007) in 2004 assumed the (volunteer) position of Turf Master. He assumed responsibilities of both fields...playing and practice. When I got there in 2005 I watched how he slaved over our fields for up to 8 hours a day. He would be there at 5am watering the field. Because we couldn't afford an automatic sprinkler system. And again in the evening. He did it all...mowed, sanded, plugged, fertilyzed, and generally manicured our Death Valley into the wonderful Bermuda field that it is. One plug at a time. Upon seeing his dedication I chose my job. To help him. And what a job it was. For three years I supported him in his endeavor to have the finest natural turf in the area. And many times he spent his own money as did I. And I used my own machines. It's called dedication. Never on a Friday night was there a lone grass clipping to clutter such a pampered field. It was vacumed like spring cleaning in the 60's. No one paid us to do this. We did it out of pride. No one changed my oil, sharpened my blades, or any other maintenence consideration. And this as I said is but one example of parent dedication. There are many. Dobyns Bennett leads the way by example in this regard. Parents from all walks. A great coach is a prerequisite. And a great coach produces great athletes. And hard working parents are a must because the coach can't do everything. Johnson County is a prime example of a less than stellar program that posesses this mentality. Win or lose...they are dedicated. Take a lesson from these people. Money won't get the job done. It takes people to make things happen.

And your comment about numbers. I'm sick of hearing about numbers. What are Greeneville's numbers? How about Elizabethton's. Johnson County's? Even North's? And yes, South's numbers. Quit whinning. It's the Coach that makes the athletes. And it takes the parents to support the machine. It's called work.

Size of the school, coaches, parents, and athletes play a large part of the out come of how the team dose. Other factors, injurys, good and bad bounces. But team unity is a big part. Having a core group of kids that have played together for 6 to 8 years is also huge.

Db and the hill have speed to burn and as they you cant coach that. but if used in the right way it can make you look like The King of the Sidelines.