LaVergne coaching change

LostTime

IC, you are right they have most all of the input but if you think there is not an approval process and a security process of both coach and assts, there could be some surprises but I have never seen nor heard of that happening. The interesting naming will be who is the administrator. While I am not disclosing, I think the coach is already selected whether the administration is or not. And likely the adminsitrator is already known. Lavergne is a very good coaching job whose talent can carry them on for some time, even with graduation.

No question, Dick Ash is a fine administrator. He knows what he is doing and will do the right thing. Sorry Coach Dean is retiring. Any time a Coach/Teacher resigns, students get upset. If other coaches are handing the situation, things are well in hand. Still think the coach may have been picked and communication may have been done. All of 7AAA look look forward to finding out who the coach is of the Great School.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IC, you are right they have most all of the input but if you think there is not an approval process and a security process of both coach and assts, there could be some surprises but I have never seen nor heard of that happening. The interesting naming will be who is the administrator. While I am not disclosing, I think the coach is already selected whether the administration is or not. And likely the adminsitrator is already known. Lavergne is a very good coaching job whose talent can carry them on for some time, even with graduation.

No question, Dick Ash is a fine administrator. He knows what he is doing and will do the right thing. Sorry Coach Dean is retiring. Any time a Coach/Teacher resigns, students get upset. If other coaches are handing the situation, things are well in hand. Still think the coach may have been picked and communication may have been done. All of 7AAA look look forward to finding out who the coach is of the Great School.

I don't think this a great surprise....Coach Dean did mention at the Banquet on last week that he would possibly retire so don't be surprise once we heard the news. Now, as far as Dirk Ash doing the right thing, I don't know. Since he carried both middle school coaches with him, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if LMS girl's coach got the head coaching position. I really hope this is not the case because he's not the best. At this time and with the talent lost, they really need a strong leader that's going to be able to keep the program going in the right direction. I really would like to see last year ####'t Coach P get the head coaching job....she has history with these girls & would do a great job.

JLady, we appreciate and hoped you would post on this subject as you could clear up anything about this coaching change. Coach Dean had announced he was going to retire at the banquet, Dick Ash did have a couple of MS coaches come with him to the banquet likely for some transition, and the coach has not been announced. I can say that the discussion of the retirement of Coach Dean and his replacement is the talk of 7AAA schools relacing the talk of Coach Hodges leaving Riverdale. Since it is anticipated that both schools are likely to have great squads coming back, we look forward to hearing of the replacement coach at Lavergne.

Its a shame that some of you hens criticize those coaches at the middle level. You must be close to the situation to have such inside knowldge of the LMS programs. Sounds like maybe y'all need to put your hats into the coaching opening at the High School. The most important thing thats happening at LHS is a climate change. The DNJ did not have a very flattering article on the record of the outgoing principal. Sounds like he wasn't there enough to even know what was going on with his athletic teams??? I believe that Dirk Ash is at just about every function that his school has. The change will be good for the high school. Good luck to whomever gets the position.

BM, welcome to coacht and your perceptive post is one that we hope we can depend on this next year. While I had little knowledge of the previous Principal, Dirk Ash is known for his previous assignments and his uncanny ability to be at many places at the same time, have high expectations of his school, and expect the very best of the students and teachers. He has challenged the best at his schools to be the best. He is a communicator. If you don't want to be the best, LHS will not be place to be. He fits in with 7AAA goals.

I don't think this a great surprise....Coach Dean did mention at the Banquet on last week that he would possibly retire so don't be surprise once we heard the news. Now, as far as Dirk Ash doing the right thing, I don't know. Since he carried both middle school coaches with him, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if LMS girl's coach got the head coaching position. I really hope this is not the case because he's not the best. At this time and with the talent lost, they really need a strong leader that's going to be able to keep the program going in the right direction. I really would like to see last year ####'t Coach P get the head coaching job....she has history with these girls & would do a great job.

You hope this isn't the case? What's your beef with the LMS coach? He's worked hard with the teams in the past years...the talent level hasn't been great, I'd like to see you come to that school and see how well you could coach. Or since, LHS needs a strong leader, maybe you should go there...if not, take Pat Summitt's spot at UT!

You hope this isn't the case? What's your beef with the LMS coach? He's worked hard with the teams in the past years...the talent level hasn't been great, I'd like to see you come to that school and see how well you could coach. Or since, LHS needs a strong leader, maybe you should go there...if not, take Pat Summitt's spot at UT!

Whoa, somebody's got their panties in a bunch.... :thumb:

Don't blame the talent level if u can't coach. It's on the middle school level when you prepare & get the younger players ready for high school. Every since Ash ran Coach P off, the middle school program @ LMS has suffered. Neighboring school Rock Springs has consistently had it's girls ready for high school where as the girls that came from LMS were far behind. Now granted, the girls that come from Rock Spring do play AAU over the summer which helps, but you would think if a coach knows his/her girls are not preparing over the summer, you would work extra hard once school starts. As I stated, LHS is going to need a good coach in order to have the girls ready to compete in 7AAA next year & if you can't change a middle school program around & make it successful, how in the heck will you be successful on the high school level.....just a thought.

Must say that I have disagreed with jazzypha on just about everything, but I must agree with her on this subject. Lavergne needs someone who has high school head coaching experience. Let me change this statement. They need someone who has had successful high school head coaching experience. I would also like to add that I am sure Mr. Ash is an excellent middle school principal, but high school is a totally different ballgame. I wish Ash the best of luck next year, I do believe he is going to need it.

I'm not sure I am aware of the qualifications of the named coaches but I am sure, with the caliber of Middle School coaches in the County, they will be great choices and extremely competitive in Lavergne's play this next season. It is also very obvious that the selection committee tried hard to bring the coaching staff personnel together with the best in the County by naming a highly regarded Blackman Coach along with a highly regarded Lavergne Coach and they will be contendors for 7AAA Basketball District play this next year.