AAA State Tournament

mjuhb

you can't beat bristol outside the 18

the only way i think you can beat him is combo plays in the box or get him 1 v 1 and get him sliding for the ball than chip it

if i was farragut i would work on putting him on the ground and taking away his vertical base

because its alot easier to score when you make the keeper 4 feet instead of 7 feet tall

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

centennial 2-0 lavergne: centennial scores late and bristol shuts them down

The only player holding Centennial in the tournament is Bristol. Bristol is the only reason they made it as far as they have! LaVergne dominated the 1st half and there was no score until the middle of the second half. Centennial didn't know what to do with us. They also had a rather high foul rate and out did LHS on yellow cards.

I dont agree i think that bristol is a major aspect of the team but his defence is strong and doesnt allow many shots on him. And the midfeild does a great job of getting back. Sure he is a great keeper but that isnt the reason Centennial has gotten so far. Hes not unstopable, he wouldnt have been as far without his d and rest of the team. i see centennial winning state

Farragut's red card is on Cody Newby.

Knew Carlos was out for season (injury), now Cody (red card), but didn't realize Nick was also missing. Anyone have story on him? With three starters out, is the “party over” for Admirals? Or will the rest of the 18 seniors be able to step in and keep rolling? Have seen Bristol plenty of times in TN club play and always against a lesser quality team, realizing H.S. play is different, Farragut should still prove to be a stiff test for him and his back line.

Size does NOT matter in soccer - speed, yes. If size did matter, then several world class footballers wouldn't be playing! Check the height/weight stats of any futbol team playing in the World Cup. The US is the only country that is worried about how 'big' a player is because of American football. Of course, there is that player from Coite de Ivorie...thighs the size of large tree trunks...

Straight from the TSSAA website:

SHOTS: LaVergne - 12; Centennial 13.

SAVES: LaVergne - 8 (Antoine Shelton); Centennial - 6 (Ryan Bristol).

FOULS: LaVergne - 8; Centennial - 16.

CORNER KICKS: LaVergne - 3; Centennial - 8.

GOALS: Centennial - Chance Cunningham (61:00, Unassisted); Chance Cunningham (79:00, Unassisted).

Daily News Journal story:

http://www.dnj.com/article/20100526/SPO ... goalkeeper

The DNJ article says CHS shut out LHS 4-0 to open the season. Lose to a team twice by a combined 6-0 and I would say they did know what to do with you. As for Bristol being the only thing CHS has, how many of those six goals did he score?

Size does NOT matter in soccer - speed, yes. If size did matter, then several world class footballers wouldn't be playing! Check the height/weight stats of any futbol team playing in the World Cup. The US is the only country that is worried about how 'big' a player is because of American football. Of course, there is that player from Coite de Ivorie...thighs the size of large tree trunks...

Straight from the TSSAA website:

SHOTS: LaVergne - 12; Centennial 13.

SAVES: LaVergne - 8 (Antoine Shelton); Centennial - 6 (Ryan Bristol).

FOULS: LaVergne - 8; Centennial - 16.

CORNER KICKS: LaVergne - 3; Centennial - 8.

GOALS: Centennial - Chance Cunningham (61:00, Unassisted); Chance Cunningham (79:00, Unassisted).

Daily News Journal story:

http://www.dnj.com/article/20100526/SPO ... goalkeeper

Saying the US is the only country where size matters is not completely true...especially at World Cup level. Here's something to look at- here is the average heights of the following World Cup Champions:

Year Team Average height

1982 Italy 5' 10 1/2"

1986 Argentina 5' 9"

1990 West Germany 5' 10"

1994 Brazil 5'9 1/2"

1998 France 6' 0"

This years U.S.A. World cup team (so far 23 players) Average Height 5' 11 1/2".

Sorry for the missed years- but I couldn't find those size rosters. The point I am trying to make is that the U.S. does not try and find huge players because, as you can see, they don't.

Still, it's only logical that a bigger, stronger player with the same speed as a smaller player WILL have an advantage. I think the more important thing is not the SIZE of the player....rather the intensity that player can bring! You can't find that statistic on paper.....I wish we could!!!

:thumb: