Elizabethton Lady Cyclones

cyclones10

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer calling her a tranfer, as opposed to "recruit"...LOL! As Sparky has stated, if she is not a top varsity player she will probably not get much playing time at Betsy. The Lady Cylones are very deep and talented at every position on the perimeter and are rapidly developing in the post. It will be interesting to see how this situation develops.

The transfer has always had jealously issues. I have watched that group play since they were little. She is a solid role player that has a good shot when left open. She will not beat you alone. The problem is her parents think she is better than what she is. It think it will be just as hard for her to get on the floor in Betsy as it was here, but maybe she thinking about next year since you all lose some good seniors.

The transfer has always had jealously issues. I have watched that group play since they were little. She is a solid role player that has a good shot when left open. She will not beat you alone. The problem is her parents think she is better than what she is. It think it will be just as hard for her to get on the floor in Betsy as it was here, but maybe she thinking about next year since you all lose some good seniors.

What you say about her situation at UC could very well be true. I have no insight into her past as I don't know the kid or the parents for that matter. However, I've heard some talk among the girls that her biggest issue with UC revolved around a particular "prima donna" on the team. Furthermore, the consensus seems to be that Ms. McCurry may not be the only UC player that has differences with this particular diva. Who knows? We are talking about high school girls here so there's bound to be some drama. My two cents...

• 2 weeks later...

sparky just a correction. Weems took the lady cyclones through 2007 summer camp, so the cyclones were not in limbo----Cara Bowling going to HV as a freshman was already cast when Weems left after summer camps were done in late summer 2007. It did take the eliz admin awhile to fill his spot as the director of schools did not want dugger back as a head coach; actually dugger was about the fourth choice for the job. The old wounds and new wounds had not fully healed. Turns out he was an excellent choice. But your premise that Cara did not go to EHS as a freshman due to coaching limbo at Etown is absolutely incorrect. I know what I speak Mr K. Cara no doubt left HV after the talent pool went down when Banks and company graduated. They beat your cyclones at home on a Cara last second shot her sophomore year and they also beat EHS her freshman year at the Valley. Cara left when Len allowed daddy Dale to take over the Cyclone aau off season program in the summer of 2009. Len is a great coach but has no integrity. I am no longer in the UET area but have friends and family that keep me up to date and a lepoard doesnt change his spots. I understand the Dugger is always recruiting talent to his school. A Hampton teacher tells me that he went after two Hampton freshman last summer and struck out. He aspires to the Just Win Baby philosophy. And is successful at it. Remember he learned from Buck and Jerry.......

Remember Elvin Brown, Leslie Brunn, and those recruits from the seven seas?.......

sparky just a correction. Weems took the lady cyclones through 2007 summer camp, so the cyclones were not in limbo----Cara Bowling going to HV as a freshman was already cast when Weems left after summer camps were done in late summer 2007. It did take the eliz admin awhile to fill his spot as the director of schools did not want dugger back as a head coach; actually dugger was about the fourth choice for the job. The old wounds and new wounds had not fully healed. Turns out he was an excellent choice. But your premise that Cara did not go to EHS as a freshman due to coaching limbo at Etown is absolutely incorrect. I know what I speak Mr K. Cara no doubt left HV after the talent pool went down when Banks and company graduated. They beat your cyclones at home on a Cara last second shot her sophomore year and they also beat EHS her freshman year at the Valley. Cara left when Len allowed daddy Dale to take over the Cyclone aau off season program in the summer of 2009. Len is a great coach but has no integrity. I am no longer in the UET area but have friends and family that keep me up to date and a lepoard doesnt change his spots. I understand the Dugger is always recruiting talent to his school. A Hampton teacher tells me that he went after two Hampton freshman last summer and struck out. He aspires to the Just Win Baby philosophy. And is successful at it. Remember he learned from Buck and Jerry.......

Remember Elvin Brown, Leslie Brunn, and those recruits from the seven seas?.......

...bird, you appear to be somewhat informed, but you're not as well informed as you think. Although you are technically correct that Weems took the Lady Cyclones to camp prior to Cara's freshmen year, the coaching job was in limbo. Weems was not happy about the EHS administation's decision to change his position in the school system because of the Marty Street and Shawn Witten hirings, i.e. Street was given preferential treatment for the teaching position he wanted and Witten had few options since he doesn't have a teaching certificate. Weems was forced into a 12 month a year job that he did not want! Consequently, Weems informed the Bowlings prior to the beginning of camp season that he would likely not be the coach the following season because he knew Cara was seriously considering coming to EHS. Therefore, the coaching situation at EHS did have an impact on her decision not to go to EHS at that time!

Although the Lady Warriors did beat the Lady Cyclones a couple of times when Cara was there, the Lady Cyclones had the best team in each case as is supported by their District and Regional titles each of those years. Furthermore, I don't believe the talent pool at HV had anything to do with Cara leaving. The talent pool has always been rich coming from the middle school to the high school. There has been a serious lack of development within that talent pool at the high school for a number of years now. If you are as well informed as you say, you would probably have to agree with that...

As for Len letting Dale take over the "Cyclone AAU Off-season Program" as you call it, that's somewhat of a misrepresentation as well. Dale's AAU team started out as an all HV team several years back, but morphed into a predominantly EHS team mainly due to apathy from the HV players. The team had HV, EHS and Hampton members on it 3 summers ago. Why do you suggest this was a factor when Dale was coaching Cara in AAU before she moved to EHS anyway?

I know all the history that you mention probably as well as anyone, but to state that Len Dugger has no integrity is ridiculous. He has more integrity in his pinky than most coaches. I didn't say he is perfect and that he's never made mistakes, but he is a man of character. I'd rather have my kid play for Len than any coach I know. There's no doubt Len promotes the program, but make no mistake, kids want to play for him! Yes Len wants to win and has proven his ability to do so. He has won with and without transfers. You make it sound like the only reason for his success is recruiting other team's players. I'd offer that it is mainly due to his passionate approach to practice, knowledge of the game, and ability to relate to and teach kids not only the game of basketball, but many valuable life lessons as well. My two cents...

• 3 weeks later...

the recruits name is L McCurry she is a rising sophomore she was not one of uc top players just ready for a change i guess

I think elizabethton cyclones are lucky to get the best sophomore player that unicoi county blue devils had!!!

Edited by bckmkr

I don't think it was jealousy or her parents, but more about who you are then how you play in unicoi county !!!!!!!

I don't think it was jealousy or her parents, but more about who you are then how you play in unicoi county !!!!!!!

Ok. so you are saying the the LM is better EE? Come on. Anyone who has a small basketball IQ knows that the edwards kid is the real deal. LM is a good kid that can;t come to grips with her role. She is not going to play at ETown either. She may get less Varsity time than at Unicoi. We only could go 8 now 7 deep. ETOWN is 9 deep with ease.