Umpires Pay Increase Rescinded

binns37388

The umpire fees in high school baseball in Tennessee were supposed to be increased starting next season, but now the TSSAA has formed a committee to look into the increase in pay for umpires and has rescinded the increase for next season. Personally, I think that's a bad move. I'm sure there will be some people get on this board now and say that umpires are paid too much and etc. Its been at least 3 years since there was a pay increase I think for umpires and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these guys decide to not umpire next season. Its hard enough to get new people into this profession.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The umpire fees in high school baseball in Tennessee were supposed to be increased starting next season, but now the TSSAA has formed a committee to look into the increase in pay for umpires and has rescinded the increase for next season. Personally, I think that's a bad move. I'm sure there will be some people get on this board now and say that umpires are paid too much and etc. Its been at least 3 years since there was a pay increase I think for umpires and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these guys decide to not umpire next season. Its hard enough to get new people into this profession.

Binns, sorry to hear that. Once they were supposed to get the increase, it was not a good idea to rescind it. What was the increase supposed to be?

Binns, sorry to hear that. Once they were supposed to get the increase, it was not a good idea to rescind it. What was the increase supposed to be?

I know this is going to turn into a horrible back and forth arguement. But, I have to say good move TSSAA. Sorry officials, I know there is a lot of expense involved. But $85.00 for a V/JV DH is a good pay check. Most of those games are two 5 inning games or a 7 and a 5. It usually starts at 4:30 and is over by 8:30. Thats $21.25 per hour and we won't even get into the discussion of what happens if you make a mistake or show up in a bad mood. Most single A games I have seen have 20 people max in the stands and can't even afford to pay you on a regular night. I have heard two teams talking about shutting down JV and that would mean a decrease in pay for you guys anyway. I say thanks you TSSAA.

I'm not going to get into a discussion over whether umpires make too much money now, but the increase was going to be fairly substantial. $85 for a single game and $110 for a DH. I know most people who get on this board have a job. What if you hadn't had a raise for 3 years and finally the company said you're overdue for a raise, so next year you'll get your raise. Then when its about time you get that raise you've earned and the company says that they have changed their minds. They're going to think about it and discuss it for another year. Now wouldn't that make you a little mad. The TSSAA sounds like a bunch of Indian givers. The umpire pay schedule was published on the TSSAA website. Maybe we can get some Mexican umpires to work the games next season for a cheaper price. Our country is still sending companies to Mexico for the cheaper labor, while we're losing the jobs here in the USA. I guess we can thank Bill Clinton for that.

Binns, I understand your frustration, but I also see Sportsfan opinion a lot clearer! When my son first started HS, we would only have a crowd of about 30. This was AAA baseball. Some nights were even worse if the competition was not in district. The Price was $4 adult and $2 student. We would not make $100 at the gate. The price for 2 Umps was $130. We did not have a JV at that time. We were in the hole $30 each night. The school asked the boosters to make up the difference, which the boosters didn't have it either. $20 a game increase is way too much for schools to handle on the lower end.

I know umping is a unappreciated job. I have disagreed many times & voiced my opinion loudly to the umps. I know for the most part, most umps take their job serious and do their best. They are going to miss calls, they are human, they are also going to get calls right that the fans disagree with. The umps that don't know the rules or do not hustle to position are the ones that you tend to remember though. I know that with gas prices, they would think a raise would be in order, but on the other side, schools are getting less money for gate & booster functions b/c of the economy also. In this age of cutting back, I have to agree that TSSAA needs to look at this increase closely! $5 a game I can see, $20 a game, no way.

Just my opinion.

The increase was $5.00 for a single game. You are right most of us do have jobs, but

we have to leave early or take vacation to do something most of us love doing. The per hour

rate is not $21.25 when you include all the travel to and from the games, gas and food.

The TSSAA sure didn't mind increasing the fees officials have to pay each year!

The way I see it the pay as it is makes for pretty good pay for a part time job.

I also don't have a problem with the increase either.

People should be able to make whatever the job will pay. I would not want anyone telling me how much I can make and I don't think anyone else would either.

Neither pay scale is gonna make anyone broke or rich so whats the big deal?

How about a graduated pay scale?

A first year umpire shouldn't make the same as an umpire who's been umpiring for several years imho?

1-2 years: $X

3-4 years $X plus some.

5 years +: $X plus some more.

10+ years: $X plus some more.

Thoughts?

Why would you not pay a first year umpire the same as you pay a 10 year vetran? What if the 1st year man is better? What if the 1st year umpire attend the 5 week Wendelstedt Umpire School @ a personal cost of $2950.00 not counting time missed from work? I have watched alot of high school umpires over the years and the best one was a 23 year old that graduated from college and attended the Wendelstedt Umpire School. This young man was "light years" ahead of men with much more experience but they had never been trained like this young man. That young 23 year old man is now working AA games just 5 years later. I know this is just one example but some of these young guys are very good & some of the older men have poor mechanics and are lazy.

Then let's have a merit based payscale. Pay grades would depend upon training certifications and evaluations including knowledge of the game, demeanor and experience. The association knows who's going to have the big gate games and he can send guys accordingly.

My problem is not paying a good umpire $110 for a DH. I have a problem with paying $85 for a horrible umpire. They're not all the same quality and they shouldn't be paid the same rates.

Then let's have a merit based payscale. Pay grades would depend upon training certifications and evaluations including knowledge of the game, demeanor and experience. The association knows who's going to have the big gate games and he can send guys accordingly.

My problem is not paying a good umpire $110 for a DH. I have a problem with paying $85 for a horrible umpire. They're not all the same quality and they shouldn't be paid the same rates.

I have no problem using a merit based payscale for umpires. Why don't you go ahead and have a merit based payscale for the coaches? Yes, there are some bad umpires but you have just as many if not more bad coaches. Just like some umpires you have some coaches out there for nothing more than an easy check. When you have umpires and coaches that never played the game you have a problem!