Top teams in All Classes

basketballnut

In the loss to JPII it was the varsity team less C. Slay. Also, Byner has yet to participate. Still recovering from injury. It will be interesting to see where point production comes from. There is no individual offensive threat to replace Carpenter and I haven't seen anyone that can provide the range lost with Alsmiller.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the loss to JPII it was the varsity team less C. Slay. Also, Byner has yet to participate. Still recovering from injury. It will be interesting to see where point production comes from. There is no individual offensive threat to replace Carpenter and I haven't seen anyone that can provide the range lost with Alsmiller.

They have much more balance with three or four palyers who can get 15 points and 10 rebounds a night. They will smother teams defenisively.

I know that at Team Camp @ A-game Ensworth split with Hillsboro and Jackson County. Ensworth hosted a Team Camp and lost to JPII there. Along the way they beat Overton, Cane Ridge, Cunberland Co, FRA, Westmoreland, and Brentwood.
It is likely that Metro saw some of those games at those camps, which does bring up why I was asking. Early in the year may or may not mean anything except on a chemistry basis these days because many of the players are also playing summer league along with going to team camps. I was just wondering based on the competition. JPII lost at least their best player from last year but had some other good players, FRA had some good players as did the rest on the list. Hillsboro will be good and Jackson County is Jackson County. A lot of those schools had summer league players also. 44 knows of missing players which likely all schools had. From what I understand, this year generally is a good year as far as freshman are concerned and some will help schools a lot.

In lots of AAA type schools freshmen don't see much, if any varsity floor time. There are exceptions that goes along with talent. So look at the Sophs.

In A and AA, last years 8th graders mean a lot. Some may be in their rotation this year. Their sophs that got floor time as freshmen last year, are now seasoned players. :roflolk:

Jimbo, good post. However, the past few years times have changed. Doesn't mean that freshman are game changers but certainly the class certainly can fill a large roll if a roster had a large graduation rate or any of a number of reasons. For a long time, extended summer play can make a number of years difference depending on the number of years played in the summer, sometimes as many as one or two. With some work coming in to a freshman year, a freshman can play as high as a sophmore in the right situation. However in another situation, having to retrain because of bad habits, and not being able to adjust to another playing situation, may just blow the situation up in smoke. Coaches usually have to adjust to that but the player has to know that.

Jimbo, good post. However, the past few years times have changed. Doesn't mean that freshman are game changers but certainly the class certainly can fill a large roll if a roster had a large graduation rate or any of a number of reasons. For a long time, extended summer play can make a number of years difference depending on the number of years played in the summer, sometimes as many as one or two. With some work coming in to a freshman year, a freshman can play as high as a sophmore in the right situation. However in another situation, having to retrain because of bad habits, and not being able to adjust to another playing situation, may just blow the situation up in smoke. Coaches usually have to adjust to that but the player has to know that.

I agree with Jimbo. Only exceptionally talented freshman will see the floor and really contribute to a good AAA team. This doesn't happen very often. I know Riverdale has had a couple but they are exceptions due to their talent. That will not continue to happen. If your counting on Freshman to give you really quality minutes, your probably in trouble unless their name is Barbee or Petty.

What about Mt Juliet? What about Wilson Central? What about jefferson when she was a freshman at Lavergne? What about Smyrna about 4-5 years ago? What about Lebanon when the twin towers came thru? Cason at Siegel was an instant role success. Memphis Central had a freshman last year. There are a number that during their freshman year that make a splash.

What about Mt Juliet? What about Wilson Central? What about jefferson when she was a freshman at Lavergne? What about Smyrna about 4-5 years ago? What about Lebanon when the twin towers came thru? Cason at Siegel was an instant role success. Memphis Central had a freshman last year. There are a number that during their freshman year that make a splash.

You make a good point PHargis but I think in general, your not going to get much from Freshman. Obviously there are some that can contribute early as you have pointed out especially in girls basketball.

• 4 weeks later...

A lot of coaches use camps to look at young and new talent to access their ability to fit in with the veterans and the type of game he plans on playing. Sometimes he may decide to change plans if the young talent can play at the level to give him a more complete team than the older players.Seen thia happen a few times and resulted in state tourney births if not the first year the 2nd and 3rd.

• 1 month later...