Why do you WANT to stay together??

itzme

By the way, if you think it's still unfair for Notre Dame, Briarcrest and Lipscomb to be in with the current "Super 7" teams, just leave the large class at 7 and plug those three into the proposed AA class. No big change and it's still something that could work. Or maybe Notre Dame would be too large for one of the smallest AA teams.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. The travel would be greater regardless of what people say. We would have to travel much further than we do today.

2. I enjoy the rivalalries we have developed in our region, which while we could still play some of the teams, games would lose much of the meaning.

3. Finally, I resent my team being penalized for FALSE assumptions. We do not now nor have we ever provided any financial assistance to atheletes, we do not recruit, we do work hard and expect to enjoy our success just like every other school is entitled to. I do not want to be moved because losers can't win. That is the real issue here. Teams who are frustrated are making schools like mine their whipping stick for their frustrations.

Posted by lazarus:

over the past two season, in all sports, the teams classified as 1-A in football:

private schools= 21 team championships

public schools= 1 championship (Wayne Co Girls Basketball)

and i am supposed to believe that changing the system will make championships mean less?

This is why the small rural public school coaches (all sports) are crying foul! Volunteer Guy and all of his friends just keep saying stuff like "just work harder" but the fact is 21-1 championships in two seasons (all sports) is an advantage! Collectively, all public school coaches (all classes) need to call this exactly what it is and speak with one voice! SPLIT IN 2005! ;)

Posted by JaxMan:

1. The travel would be greater regardless of what people say. We would have to travel much further than we do today.

2. I enjoy the rivalalries we have developed in our region, which while we could still play some of the teams, games would lose much of the meaning.

3. Finally, I resent my team being penalized for FALSE assumptions. We do not now nor have we ever provided any financial assistance to atheletes, we do not recruit, we do work hard and expect to enjoy our success just like every other school is entitled to. I do not want to be moved because losers can't win. That is the real issue here. Teams who are frustrated are making schools like mine their whipping stick for their frustrations.

1.Travel: I am guessing you're in Jackson, but not sure what school you follow. If it's USJ, in this proposed system you'd go to Memphis 1 or 2 times a year, maybe 60-75 miles depending on where the schools are at around Memphis. 60-75 miles is nothing, even though it would be longer than playing the crosstown privates. Just around here, Grundy County has to go to Sequoyah and Walker Valley (Madisonville and Cleveland), Marion and Sequatchie go to Polk and Tellico Plains and South Pittsburg and Whitwell go to Copper Basin, and those teams come here too. And just look at schools in the current Division II leagues-though they probably don't like it, McCallie and Baylor can afford to go to Memphis, but do you think St. Andrew's Sewanee and their AD/boosters really like the bills that go with 3 or 4 trips there every year? With a split, those trips to Memphis, and the trips from Memphis to SAS and Chattanooga would be over.

2. Rivalries. So you wouldn't get to play region games with some rivals anymore. Well, too bad. That happens all over the state every year each time enrollments are counted and regions are redrawn. Sequatchie's 5 main rivals over the years, Bledsoe, Marion Whitwell South Pittsburg and Grundy have all played in different regions than Sequatchie for at least a few seasons in the past decade. Whitwell and South Pittsburg are in a smaller class now, and Grundy is one class higher but the rivalries continue and the games continue. Soddy-Daisy and Ooltewah are having to play region games against Farragut and Oak Ridge instead of Red Bank and Brainerd, if there was a four class public system those teams might be back together. You might have to do a little more traveling but teams all over the state would be helped at the same time.

3-Losers. Very few people with any kind of credibility, and those that aren't students looking to cause trouble, get on here and say JP Shelley got a BMW from Ezell or silly stuff like that. I think a word that can be used there is "influenced" but not actual "recruiting" or at least it's not widespread among the smaller private schools (which would include everyone of them in 1A and 2A). As far as losers, would you call Clint Satterfield and Gary Rankin losers? By their actions and words, they proved they were as against playing private schools in the postseason or region as a rural 1A team getting beat 40-0 every year in the playoffs by the Nashville privates. Trousdale moved to 3A from 2A (not a 1A to 3A jump, they were classified as 2A) to avoid playing in a region with Goodpasture and Lipscomb, even though I'm certain on a given night Trousdale could line up and play with them and possibly win some games with those two. Riverdale's complaining especially after losing to Brentwood Academy one year I believe was a major factor in the partial split

[Edited by Indian on 9-29-02 12:31A]

[Edited by Indian on 9-29-02 12:49A]

Indian...you said

" By their actions and words, they proved they were as against playing private schools in the postseason or region as a rural 1A team getting beat 40-0 every year in the playoffs by the Nashville privates."

Excuse me???? did I hear you say that Trousdale was getting beat 40-0 every year by privates?

Posted by VolunteerGeneral:

Indian...you said

" By their actions and words, they proved they were as against playing private schools in the postseason or region as a rural 1A team getting beat 40-0 every year in the playoffs by the Nashville privates."

Excuse me???? did I hear you say that Trousdale was getting beat 40-0 every year by privates?

No. Not Riverdale, either.

Posted by Indian:
Posted by VolunteerGeneral:

Indian...you said

No. Not Riverdale, either.

OK...I was having a hard time understanding your post. Regarding Satterfield I think you paint the wrong picture. He never jumped from 1A, which you stated. He stayed there just beating up on everyone, public and private alike, until he was forced to move because of the student numbers. I think the subsequent jump to 3A was because of conveniance, not because he didn`t want to compete with a couple private schools. He used the move to make a political statement against private schools, when his record shows that he never moved out of 1A when he could have if he didn`t like playing against private schools. The whole situation was just a conveniant opportunity to make a weak statement. If he had done that while he was killing everyone in 1A, then it might have meant something.

Posted by RealGoEagles:

Also wasn't it ole Satterfield's last year in 1a that he finally got beat by CPA.

Don't put your public schools on a pedestal it's not about a level playing field. It's about winning.

Maybe he thought he could do better against CPA, Ezell, Boyd-Buchanan, USJ than against Goodpasture and Lipscomb, who knows? CPA and Ezell only started getting really great near the end of Trousdale's 1A run. Also those private school games weren't region games like Goodpasture and Lipscomb would have been. Convenient would have been Smith County and the whole group staying in 2A, but as a group they all moved up. I don't know what you meant by putting them on a pedastal, it was responding to the person from Jackson. And even if you think the Satterfield part is weak, how about Rankin, and all the other parts of the post

It just bothers me that where some people put Rankin and Satterfield up there as "fighting the good fight" so to speak. They only like privates if they can beat them.

You think they're looking out for other schools?All they're doing is covering their own you know whats. If Rankin hadn't gotten clobbered by BA this discussion would never have happened. Likewise, if Trousdale thought they could whip all the privates like they used to they'd be in 2a.

Posted by RealGoEagles:

It just bothers me that where some people put Rankin and Satterfield up there as "fighting the good fight" so to speak. They only like privates if they can beat them.

You think they're looking out for other schools?All they're doing is covering their own you know whats. If Rankin hadn't gotten clobbered by BA this discussion would never have happened. Likewise, if Trousdale thought they could whip all the privates like they used to they'd be in 2a.

So they're more interested in their own programs. The other coaches feel like they do so what difference does that make?

real go said:

"it's not about a level playing field. It's about winning."

i couldnt have said it better myself. as i mentioned earlier, the "single a" privates collected a whopping 21 state "championships" over the past 2 years, compared to the publics in the same division netting only 1. but there are plenty more interesting numbers to go with that. this past season, in the sports that have championship play at the A/AA level -which includes the football classes 1-2-3- and the bottom 8 4-A teams- single a privates had 5 champions & 4 runners up to go with 11 teams reaching the "semifinal" level-3rd or 4th place. public single A teams had ONE semifinalist and no champions or runners up. the 3 & 4-A publics combined had 4 champions & 6 runnersup. the 2-A privates collected another 2 titles & a runnerup.

the scorecard for 1st & 2nd places:

private 1& 2 A= 12

public 3 & 4 A= 10

public 1 & 2 A= 0

the ONLY public single A semifinalist got there without playing a private school.

so if you are dominant against 3 & 4 A teams, where is the honor in beating up on single A?