Why do you WANT to stay together??

itzme

Indian...

Your correct we could travel to Memphis...but You asked why we wanted to not split..and I gave you one persons opinion as to why I am against it. Sure we could drive further to play games, I resent having to because someone wants to win and can't now. Secondly, I am not referring to anyone in particular as a loser, but to teams who don't win and as a result want to change the rules. Finally, no I am not a USJ fan. They are a fine team but not mine.

[Edited by JaxMan on 9-30-02 11:56P]

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

References keep being made here as to number of titles over two years. Look at football titles in 1A over last ten years. Trends are more accurate when viewed over a longer period of time not a period short enough to prove a given point. Finally, since public schools are winning so many 5A championships, would the logic that wants to change 1A also apply. We should come up with a rule that somehow produces a private winner in 5A. It can't be hard work or talent, because when privates in 1A use that were told it is hogwash. Since this whole argument is about fair I am certain someone will think of a way to produce 5A private champs along with 1a public champs.

sorry, but i dont have the data to go back 10 years. 6 years ago the count was 8 state champions & 8 runners up for the 1-A privates. 3 titles & two runners up for the publics. the "trend" since then; fewer public 1-A champions every year, until last year when they disappeared altogether. the only sport where i can see even a possibility of a 1-A team winning this year is girls basketball.

but you and i agree on one thing. it is not fair for everyone to be punished for the abuses of a few. (and abuse isnt really a fair term, since it implies that they are doing something wrong, when all they are really doing is what programs are supposed to do; developing the best teams they can.)

vg and i agree on something as well. the private schools belong with the publics. i like to see them play. they are well coached and disciplined. they are classy and display (with very few exceptions) outstanding sportsmanship. they make worthy opponents who are fun to play, as long as there is at least some competitive balance. i think that everyone has lost something with the partial split, and i think a total split would be a crying shame.

but take another look at those numbers. that is a spread far too wide to attribute to normal fluctuation, or to write off as an anomaly. even under the tssaa this cannot go on indefinitely without something changing. if that change is not initiated by opponents of a split, there is only one other direction it can take.

Good Post...I was referring to class 1A football championships when I spoke of ten yrs. I will admit I haven't looked at all sports or all classes. I most often, however, hear talk of how small public 1A's can't compete with privates. The ten yr history is:

01 Ezell

00 CPA

99 South Pittsburg

98 Trousdale

97 Trousdale

96 DCA

95 BGA

94 South Pittsburg

93 Trousdale

92 Onedia

That is 60% Public and 40% private.

I will agree the current system may not be perfect and changes to help would be fine. I don't however, want to be penalized because a few extremes are used as a rally point. If people abuse the system, kick out the guilty not everyone. The truth is it is hard for all 1A teams to compete. The same names appear on the list above over and over. Public and private alike, they are good and we can't beat them. But I agree that if changes keep us all together then lets make some. A total split would be bad for everyone.

I am also against a total split.but if you look at the trend in the last few years for all sports,something has to be done.The numbers speak for themselves.I think everyone concerned should get together and come up with a happy medium.I do think there is 90 percent chance of a total split if a certain few don't want to compromise.The numbers don't lie.I really don't think a 1.5 multiplier would create a level playing field .I may be wrong,but I believe 2A would be dominated by a few private schools.Although 2a should be a little tougher challenge.

there are several points that i have seen supporting both sides.if a split did happen i agree that the 1a and 2a championships would be watered down alot but there are still dominant public schools such as cloudland,south pitt,lewis county,westview so the ones that are making this claim the small rural schools are still goiong to have trouble winning.if there is not a split most of the privates can play up and contend with schools in a larger class so what is the use in staying and beating up on the smaller schools.me personally i am against a total split the best i dea i have heard is a multiplier.i base this last statement on watching ezell harding play in week zero they could easily play with most 4a teams also i watched goodpature scrimmage portland this preseason

The thing that gets me is that most private school supports are quick to point out why they split away from public schools. Our teachers were not good enough, the rules were not good enough, the atmosphere was not good enough, the students were not good enough. Why then are our public school football teams good enough to play with and since you guys split away from the public education sysytem to begin with, why are you so dead-set against a sports split???

[Edited by imasoftballer on 10-3-02 1:50P]

Why are women trying to get into Augusta. We would probably say "Hey let's split" if you weren't throwing such a kicking screaming fit to get us out. Plus the timing just agitates us.

Satterfield finally gets beat by a private school in the playoffs and he leaves, South Pitt is down, and Cloudland gets murdered in the BCB.

The same people who loved to revel in their triumphs over private schools just two or three short years ago are now screaming foul when they lose.

Posted by imasoftballer:

The thing that gets me is that most private school supports are quick to point out why they split away from public schools. Our teachers were not good enough, the rules were not good enough, the atmosphere was not good enough, the students were not good enough. Why then are our public school football teams good enough to play with and since you guys split away from the public education sysytem to begin with, why are you so dead-set against a sports split???

I am confused by this post. For one, I was under the impression (correct me if I am wrong) that it was a few public schools (particularly one in Murfreesboro) which led the split charge.

Am I missing something here?

[Edited by rollredroll on 10-3-02 3:53P]

Posted by rollredroll:
Posted by imasoftballer:

I am confused by this post. For one, I was under the impression (correct me if I am wrong) that it was a few public schools (particularly one in Murfreesboro) which led the split charge.

I think you have totally missed the point. It is crystal clear in this post: If the public schools are not good enough to go to school with, what makes them good enough to play ball with? A very valid question, and one that most public school supporters are asking. It all boils down to you (private schoolers) wanted away from us, now why don't you just leave us alone? Clear enough? :confused:

Linden, Cloudland, two of the towns from which these people that are arguing for the split are from. Hmmm... Have you ever set foot inside a public school in Nashville Memphis or Chattanoog? Probably not. These are the schools that privates are taking students from.

Wonder why there aren't alot of privates in the smaller areas. Better schools and less problems.

In 1a the schools are alot more alike than you think. Kids that have grown up together and gone to to school together and been in the same classes together, sometimes for 13 years.

Communities that are close. Parents that are friends. That have cookouts, go to church and most everything else together.

People that still hold onto to some basic typically but not always more conservative values that you would be absolutely crucified for having in big Metro ACLU run school.

But the difference here is that in the past two years privates have had ALOT of athletic success. So you throw them out.

If they're out, they're out that's fine. But it's for all the wrong reasons and you're fighting the wrong people.

Posted by ie3:
Posted by rollredroll:
Posted by imasoftballer:

I think you have totally missed the point. It is crystal clear in this post: If the public schools are not good enough to go to school with, what makes them good enough to play ball with? A very valid question, and one that most public school supporters are asking. It all boils down to you (private schoolers) wanted away from us, now why don't you just leave us alone? Clear enough? :confused:

No, it's not clear enough. As I said, I was under the impression that it was a group of public schools (primarily one in Murfreesboro) that led the charge to split. According to imasoftballer, the privates are "so dead-set against a sports split". If that's the case, why would they have led the charge to split in the first place? What private school(s) are you saying led the charge to split?

This comment makes no sense either: "If the public schools are not good enough to go to school with, what makes them good enough to play ball with?" What in the world? If one is attending a private school, how can he/she attend a public school (and vice versa) at the same time??? Admittedly, I haven't read every single post on this site, but who on here (and where) said that public school students "were not good enough to go to school with"? Even if someone said it, what does that have to do with what kind of schools (public or private) a school chooses to play?