New Bat Rule in Place Immediately

govols78

I received an email from the NFHS saying the new bat guidelines are in place immediately instead of later. They are overriding the individual states' decisions. The rule says that all composite bats are outlawed, but does not specify what is a composite bat. I talked to one sporting goods rep who is also an umpire, and he didn't even know exactly what it meant. Is a composite bat any "two piece" bat? The NFHS needs to clarify this soon. People will want to order bats in the offseason when they are cheaper, and they need to be able to fully understand what they can buy. A list of approved bats would be helpful. I'm sure the bat companies aren't happy about this.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI: Key points in BOLD.

Baseball Rules Change Puts Moratorium on Composite Bats

Baseball Rules Change Puts Moratorium on Composite Bats

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Elliot Hopkins

INDIANAPOLIS, IN (July 7, 2010) — One of six new rules changes by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Baseball Rules Committee forbids the use of composite bats until they can meet the Batted Ball Coefficient of Restitution (BBCOR) performance standard. The changes, which were subsequently approved by the NFHS Board of Directors, will take effect with the 2010-11 school year.

After thorough testing by the Baseball Research Center at the University of Massachusetts–Lowell, the NFHS Baseball Rules Committee voted to outlaw composite bats until they can produce consistent results through the life of the bat, be made tamper-evident and be labeled as a composite product.

Elliot Hopkins, NFHS liaison to the Baseball Rules Committee, visited with James Sherwood, director of the Baseball Research Center, and spent several hours witnessing composite bat testing. “Rolling the bat gives it a higher performance,†Hopkins said. “It can significantly increase the performance and that’s huge in our game.â€

Rolling the bat isn’t the only problem. Rolling only speeds up the performance enhancement that would occur over time after normal use. Even composite bats that were not altered will eventually see this increase in performance, and the rules committee views that as a major concern.

Rule 1-3-2 through 5 was completely rewritten with the intention of creating a rule that preserves the intent and spirit of the old rule, but is better suited to products resulting from new technology.

Under the new rule, bats with composite handles and tapers would still be legal. The stricter language applies primarily to the barrel of the bat.

“While the handles and taper are important components of the bat,†Hopkins said, “the area that we recognized as more susceptible to abuse is the barrel.â€

So the main 2 questions that will clarify the issue here are:

1) Will the current certification on bats be acceptable if they are not composite bats??? Every bat must have a visible BESR label on the bat for it to be legal with the old rule. Ball Exit Speed Ratio(I think)

or

2) Will all bats used in high school contests be required to have the new certification stamp BBCOR?

If the answer to the first question is YES.....Then I agree with a previous post that there needs to be a list with approved/not approved bats to clarify.

If the answer to the second question is YES.......these bat companies will be salivating.

Incorrect.......Original rule change was not scheduled to go into effect until Jan. 1 of 2012

http://www.nfhs.org/content.aspx?id=2772&terms=baseball

That is true. I am having parents calling me and the advice I am giving is to make sure it has the BBCOR silk-screened certification.

The change will also require that all non-wood bats meet the Batted Ball Coefficient of Restitution (BBCOR) performance standard, which is the standard used by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). Formerly, non-wood bats had to meet the Ball Exit Speed Ratio (BESR) standard.

So the main 2 questions that will clarify the issue here are:

1) Will the current certification on bats be acceptable if they are not composite bats??? Every bat must have a visible BESR label on the bat for it to be legal with the old rule. Ball Exit Speed Ratio(I think)

or

2) Will all bats used in high school contests be required to have the new certification stamp BBCOR?

If the answer to the first question is YES.....Then I agree with a previous post that there needs to be a list with approved/not approved bats to clarify.

Bat companies will be happy. All new bats will have to have a BBCOR stamp. Pretty much all the bats on the market right now are illegal. Had someone who is very high in TSSAA tell me this today.

If the answer to the second question is YES.......these bat companies will be salivating.

Take this for what it's worth, but discussed this with a dealer and according to them, NFHS will not require BBCOR stickers this year. Which would seem to mean 2011 will be up the umpire not sure. Doesn't make a lot of since even though you can buy the college legal bats online.

Take this for what it's worth, but discussed this with a dealer and according to them, NFHS will not require BBCOR stickers this year. Which would seem to mean 2011 will be up the umpire not sure. Doesn't make a lot of since even though you can buy the college legal bats online.

Every sporting good supplier I have talked to have said the BBCOR sticker will be required. I can't see the Federation allowing it to be up to umpires. With that logic it would be possible to show up to a game with no legal bats. Won't happen. I had a dealer tell me a couple of days ago that the bat companies are chomping at the bit to start selling BBCOR only.

It does not seem right for all this to be going on while the bat companies are still selling their comps which are now USELESS. They should all be pulled off the rack of stores by the manufacturers. For all those that are not in the "know" that are buying bats for next year, $300 to $400 is going to be wasted on a useless bat. Most organizations follow HS rules, so ALL comps will be illegal, summer & HS ball both. For those that purchased a bat last year with the expectations of TSSAA not applying a bat rule until 2011/12, they wasted their money on a one year bat! I called TSSAA last year & asked about when the rule change would go into effect and was told 2011/2012.

It seems that there should be some regulation on how fast rules can go into affect. This would protect all wanting to purchase equipment.

There also should be more PRESS RELEASES on the changes if they are going to be enforced this year!

I am all for safety, but this is going to make some people a lot of money. Just is not right in my opinion!!