Faragut Who?

a-town1408

My $ .02

If you are going to dog out a school for not being competitive, at least spell it correctly.

two-fingers3.jpg

Two "r's" in FaRRagut, boys...... Two.

Sorry for the spelling on Farragut. It takes longer to put 2 rs in there. haha. That is beside the point anyways. You know what I was saying. They should have put up a better fight being that they are a good program and they have all of that money and talent to chose from. There is no excuse for getting dominated by a school 3 or 4 times smaller than you even if it is a scrimmage. Thats all that I was saying from the beginning of this post that started all of this. I was a part of Read or Meadows that is correct. We didn't have near the discipline or physical strength that Rankin has brought to Alcoa but we were very good in our own right without those things. We talked a lot of trash and got a lot of trash talked back to us. It was just part of the game. We could and did beat anyone from any class even back then. If we would have had some discipline and a good weight program it would have been REALLY SCARY. I love the Tornadoes and love HS football. I enjoy giving my opinion and seeing the responses. I do not do the whole trash talking thing any more and this is in no way trash talk. I think that the upper division schools (excluding Maryville) in our state should be able catch up to Alcoa . I don't see what is holding them back. No excuses for them.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a part of Read or Meadows that is correct. We didn't have near the discipline or physical strength that Rankin has brought to Alcoa but we were very good in our own right without those things. We talked a lot of trash and got a lot of trash talked back to us. It was just part of the game. We could and did beat anyone from any class even back then.

No, you didn't. If that were the case we would have at least 12 championships now.

The debacle against Goodpasture in 2001 was embarrassing to the school and the community and showed the lack of control that a coach had over his players.

It's 10 years later now and the stench is finally gone. We won in 2000 in spite of Mr Meadows (remember we almost blew a 28 point lead againd Union City and had to have a goal-line stand in the final minute of the 4th to preserve the win) because the F5 was just that talented. with slightl lesser talent in 2001 and COMPLETE lack of discipline, we let an easy one get away.

As far as the big school thing is concerned, It is going to get worse for them before it gets better. Maryville was down last year and the big schools still couldn't touch them. (albeit Mr Meadows and Coach Courtney had their chances and shot themselves in the foot) Oak Ridge is in for another F5 size headache tomorrow especially since they had NO answer for CAK last week.

Here is a good discipline question to ponder: in what game did the F5 get their first unsportsmanlike penalty last season?

(click 'show' below for answer!)

Week 15 against Elizabethton

Edited by AlcoasPaintedBridge

No, you didn't. If that were the case we would have at least 12 championships now.

The debacle against Goodpasture in 2001 was embarrassing to the school and the community and showed the lack of control that a coach had over his players.

It's 10 years later now and the stench is finally gone. We won in 2000 in spite of Mr Meadows (remember we almost blew a 28 point lead againd Union City and had to have a goal-line stand in the final minute of the 4th to preserve the win) because the F5 was just that talented. with slightl lesser talent in 2001 and COMPLETE lack of discipline, we let an easy one get away.

As far as the big school thing is concerned, It is going to get worse for them before it gets better. Maryville was down last year and the big schools still couldn't touch them. (albeit Mr Meadows and Coach Courtney had their chances and shot themselves in the foot) Oak Ridge is in for another F5 size headache tomorrow especially since they had NO answer for CAK last week.

Here is a good discipline question to ponder: in what game did the F5 get their first unsportsmanlike penalty last season?

Hey APB, I still get tickled thinking about E-town's team taunting the F5 in pre-game. It was startling when they did it to CAK, but it didn't work, and then AE came to town and it worked big time, so I quess that they thought they would go for best 2 out of 3. Bad decision :roflolk:

Edited by FootballDad

A-town had to have played for Meadows in my opinion. I say this because Coach Reid believed in the power of the weight room and because of his responses of talking a lot of trash and what not. Reid's teams did it too, but not near to the extent that Meadows' teams did.

Also, the discipline at Alcoa is so much better now then it use to be. However, Coach Reid started laying some of the ground work for this, and then Coach Rankin came in and took the discipline to a whole new level. Building blocks, small steps at a time. I have a lot of respect for both Reid and Rankin because both did great things for the Alcoa program.

Scots50, just out of curiosity, what high school did you attend and where did you play your college ball? I know you played in college, just a hunch of mine.

Go Tornadoes, keep making all of us Alcoa alumni proud!

Hey APB, I still get tickled thinking about E-town's team taunting the F5 in pre-game. It was startling when they did it to CAK, but it didn't work, and then AE came to town and it worked big time, so I quess that they thought they would go for best 2 out of 3. Bad decision :roflolk:

FD.....Eye wood haiv luved two haiv seed Bee Cee unfold out ov that truk and got all 6'6" ov hiz self sideways up thair on that one feller.... :shock:

Eye thank Hardun Vallee iz now takin sum ov Farrah-Gut's stewdunts.... :unsure:

Edited by STARSNBARS

The stench is finally gone? 15-0 and 12-2. The only udefeated season until this past year. Wow you have a sensitive nose my friend. I know there was some discipline problems and the coaches didn't run a tight ship at all but we hadnt won a championship in a long time before the 2000 season. I would have to say the the 2 years that you pointed out kind of got the ball rolling again at alcoa. I agree the 2000 and 2001 teams were a little on the wild side but there football skills and willingness to win is the same as any of the other alcoa teams. In 04 and 05 we were a little on the wild side as well. Reid did bring in more strength training but the trash talking and getting hype was still there. 06 to current Rankin has brought the combo of both strength and discipline to the program which I believe was needed. The fact that we were able to win without Rankins style just shows what the capabilities for those other teams would have been if they would have had him. And yes 15-0 12-2 13-2 14-1 does show that we did beat all the other bigger schools besides maryville excluding 2000.

Alcoa lost in 2001 to Goodpasture in the State Semifinals 17-13. That is hardly what I would call a "debacle" now APB. Close matchups are what take place generally in the State Semifinals. After all wasn't it Marion County who nearly knocked off the Tornadoes in the State Semifinals back in 2008?

Fast Forward to 2003:

Now this is an example of a "debacle" my friend. That Saturday night State Semifinal loss to David Lipscomb by a score of 55-6 was a total "debacle". It can't be described in any other way, shape, or form.

Now With That Said.....

That loss to David Lipscomb was quite possibly the catalyst which has since led Alcoa to win 6 STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS in a row. As fate would have it Alcoa got their rematch with David Lipscomb the following year in the State Semifinals in Nashville. The Tornadoes went on to win that game going away.

Outside of the Marion County matchup in the State Semifinals in 2008 there is not one example of a State Semifinals/State Championship Game where I truly felt that Alcoa has been pushed by an opponent. In every case the games have been pretty well decided by the 4th Quarter.

The 2003 "debacle" against David Lipscomb was quite possibly the best thing to ever happen to Alcoa football from a motivation standpoint. I still would not refer to the 2001 loss to Goodpasture as a "debacle" however....

Alcoa lost in 2001 to Goodpasture in the State Semifinals 17-13. That is hardly what I would call a "debacle" now APB. Close matchups are what take place generally in the State Semifinals. After all wasn't it Marion County who nearly knocked off the Tornadoes in the State Semifinals back in 2008?

Fast Forward to 2003:

Now this is an example of a "debacle" my friend. That Saturday night State Semifinal loss to David Lipscomb by a score of 55-6 was a total "debacle". It can't be described in any other way, shape, or form.

Now With That Said.....

That loss to David Lipscomb was quite possibly the catalyst which has since led Alcoa to win 6 STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS in a row. As fate would have it Alcoa got their rematch with David Lipscomb the following year in the State Semifinals in Nashville. The Tornadoes went on to win that game going away.

Outside of the Marion County matchup in the State Semifinals in 2008 there is not one example of a State Semifinals/State Championship Game where I truly felt that Alcoa has been pushed by an opponent. In every case the games have been pretty well decided by the 4th Quarter.

The 2003 "debacle" against David Lipscomb was quite possibly the best thing to ever happen to Alcoa football from a motivation standpoint. I still would not refer to the 2001 loss to Goodpasture as a "debacle" however....

Lipscomb beat the tar out of a bunch or Freshmen and Sophomores in 2003....not a debacle at all, got beat by a better team.

The debacle at Goodpasture was back to back personal foul penalties that cost Alcoa a trip to the finals. Unless you were there, you could not possibly understand how penalties and poor sportsmanship that night gave Alcoa a "black eye" for a few years and no crew wanted to ref a game coached by Meadows....A trend that has followed him from Sequoya, to Alcoa, to Jeff Co, to William Blount (see WB v. Ooltewah and WB v. Oak Ridge during his tenure) and now at Catholic....All of the talent was gone when he decided to jump ship, but I think The Judge might get him at Catholic before he runs that program into the ground.

We will see.

The purpose of my post was and continues to be about discipline and the lack of it during those years.

As an outsider I could see how you might have been confused.

Lipscomb beat the tar out of a bunch or Freshmen and Sophomores in 2003....not a debacle at all, got beat by a better team.

The debacle at Goodpasture was back to back personal foul penalties that cost Alcoa a trip to the finals. Unless you were there, you could not possibly understand how penalties and poor sportsmanship that night gave Alcoa a "black eye" for a few years and no crew wanted to ref a game coached by Meadows....A trend that has followed him from Sequoya, to Alcoa, to Jeff Co, to William Blount (see WB v. Ooltewah and WB v. Oak Ridge during his tenure) and now at Catholic....All of the talent was gone when he decided to jump ship, but I think The Judge might get him at Catholic before he runs that program into the ground.

We will see.

The purpose of my post was and continues to be about discipline and the lack of it during those years.

As an outsider I could see how you might have been confused.

There was only 1 personal foul that caused that loss. Not 2 in a row I remember that game. It was a receiver that was over on the far side away from the play that was fighting with a gp player that got us 15 yards. Then the punt 2 plays later which was blocked for a gp td. And yes that was an embarassing loss to lipscomb no matter what the years of the players on Alcoa. They redeemed themselves 2 years in a row after that though. Also you have to remember that 2001 meadows step son was battling cancer and missed many of the practices that year. There was some major distractions with him and his football team. I believe that if he wouldn't have missed so many practices and a game the discipline would have been better for that team. Although I will grant you that meadows has the reputation of not having disciplined teams and programs. That is the one thing that he is lacking I believe. It will be interesting to see if he can stay at Catholic and continue winning. There was no black eye for Alcoa after those years either. The only black eye after that year was the record 3-7. If we would have continued winning right after that you wouldn't have made that black eye comment. I will grant you that the Dalton coaching decision wasn't the brightest move in the world either. They were very young with a weak senior class. I am glad that they rebounded and made it two in a row their jr and sr years.

There was only 1 personal foul that caused that loss.

That foul came at the wrong time. The game was deep in the 4th quarter, Alcoa was driving the ball for a score that would have put that game away. The personal foul put the drive into a 4th and long and forced Alcoa to punt. After the foul the player responsible, threw his helmet across the field and it did not stop til it hit the fence. :shock: I was very surprised another flag was not thrown. It was a big distraction, that IMO, change the momentum of the game and Alcoa fell a part.

Goodpasture went on to the championship game and beat Westview 14-0.

It was these acts of un-sportsmanship that took place all season long. And, IMO prevented Meadows from being able to return to Alcoa after leaving for UT.

So........I have to agree with APB. The 2001 Alcoa team had the talent. It simply lacked the discipline and coaching to bring a second straight championship home and I hate it for the players on that 2001 team most of all.

That foul came at the wrong time. The game was deep in the 4th quarter, Alcoa was driving the ball for a score that would have put that game away. The personal foul put the drive into a 4th and long and forced Alcoa to punt. After the foul the player responsible, threw his helmet across the field and it did not stop til it hit the fence. :shock: I was very surprised another flag was not thrown. It was a big distraction, that IMO, change the momentum of the game and Alcoa fell a part.

Goodpasture went on to the championship game and beat Westview 14-0.

It was these acts of un-sportsmanship that took place all season long. And, IMO prevented Meadows from being able to return to Alcoa after leaving for UT.

So........I have to agree with APB. The 2001 Alcoa team had the talent. It simply lacked the discipline and coaching to bring a second straight championship home and I hate it for the players on that 2001 team most of all.

I have to agree with this post. I was at this game and I couldn't believe Alcoa let this game slip away. there is no reason Alcoa shouldn't have 12 gold balls right now...