Sullivan South vs. Daniel Boone 9/3/2010

2000southreb81

Maybe they have fallen prey to the pre-season hype or maybe they are just saving up for the first big game. My bet is they are very into it this week.

Maybe, but after there poor week zero performance I would have thought the coaches would have run the big head out of them. They got worse. If this South game doesn't wake them up then nothing will. I see a very tough, close football game with south having good success throwing the football.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love and respect the coaches and I know if you are not on the field and in the dressing room everyday then you don't have the whole picture. So I will say this with that in mind. I won't harp on this the rest of the year. I have said it twice and this is the last time. After this I will shut up and work.

After attending last nights game I have concluded that what I have said previously is gospel. Did you see the back side screen that Jordan caught? Did you see his acceleration? This guy has some wheels. Get him in space and we have a weapon. BUT! He is not a RB that you can send up the gut and expect him to succeed. You can beat his head against the wall all season long and he is never going to become a RB in the mold that we have had in previous years. HOWEVER, he has skills. And they need to be utilyzed. This is the first play this season he has been utilized. He is out of position. Period.

In contrast to Jordan we have another athlete who by many is concidered to be the best we have. He did not touch the ball last night. JC Garvin is out of position. Period. JC needs to be in the backfield and Jordan needs to be in the slot position. Put somebody else at TE. Jordan has breakaway speed and we are sending him up the gut. JC is an animal and we are wasting him at TE. How many times are we going to get the ball in his hands this season at TE? Mark my words. We will not win a game in the current configuration.

If these changes are made then we get two dividends. Combine JC with Hubbard and then we have a threat. Because when Jordan gets the ball in his hands in space then he will make something happen.

My opinion. Everyone has one, including everyone I was sitting near who were saying it first. However, I will say it outloud.

There are very good and valid reasons why Jordan is in the backfield and why Garvin is at receiver. Watching practices, freshmen and JV games over the last few years have shown who needs to be where. The coaches see it every single day so they are in the "best" position to make the call. Sometimes they are wrong (gasp) and some (Haynie) admit it when they are (see Jay Conkin - 2010 - who flourished)and make the move. But, wholesale changes don't need to be made by position right now. Continued practice and experience with everyone in their spot will bring the improvement. Look back at film and you will see that early in the season, the play that everyone is harping on of sending the tailback in to the middle of the line (including the Spin Dr. era) was not as successful early in the year (possible exception being the Science Hill game in 2009). Someone on here asked about the pitchout and we saw that implemented last year at midseason and that helped open things up for a while. (Only to disappear when it could have helped in late November.) The passing game will continue to improve as well. You mention that JC didn't get the ball enough and that may well be. But, you don't mention that Rowland made some catches that were impressive across the middle and Steffey as well.

I've seen both games and seen positive things in both games. There are problems, but I have confidence in this coaching staff and know that this team will be competitive. I'll be there supporting again Friday night as I'm sure you will be as well.

Go Rebels!

There are very good and valid reasons why Jordan is in the backfield and why Garvin is at receiver. Watching practices, freshmen and JV games over the last few years have shown who needs to be where. The coaches see it every single day so they are in the "best" position to make the call. Sometimes they are wrong (gasp) and some (Haynie) admit it when they are (see Jay Conkin - 2010 - who flourished)and make the move. But, wholesale changes don't need to be made by position right now. Continued practice and experience with everyone in their spot will bring the improvement. Look back at film and you will see that early in the season, the play that everyone is harping on of sending the tailback in to the middle of the line (including the Spin Dr. era) was not as successful early in the year (possible exception being the Science Hill game in 2009). Someone on here asked about the pitchout and we saw that implemented last year at midseason and that helped open things up for a while. (Only to disappear when it could have helped in late November.) The passing game will continue to improve as well. You mention that JC didn't get the ball enough and that may well be. But, you don't mention that Rowland made some catches that were impressive across the middle and Steffey as well.

I've seen both games and seen positive things in both games. There are problems, but I have confidence in this coaching staff and know that this team will be competitive. I'll be there supporting again Friday night as I'm sure you will be as well.

Go Rebels!

Good post URWE. I don't care how it comes together just that they find themselves. And yes, I have noticed the young men that are making plays. I will be there. One difference in the two eras you speak of. I don't think Jordan has been given the freedom to exploit his territory as previous RB's were. Maybe Friday night we will turn a corner.

TBB, you want to talk football! What a commodity. What I would like to know is which one of your QB's is carrying the load? You want to know about our passing game? It has potential. Same as years past? It will probably gel this Friday night. And turnovers?.....we'll race you! Oh, and Science Hill is struggling rather badly so I don't know if I would put them in the same category as DB just yet.

Neither quaterback has really showed anything, 16 missed most of summer practice becuase of baseball and 10 shows alot of inconsistency. 10 hit a pretty big pass the play after the cherokee player got hurt, but other then that there hasnt been anything even close. 5 has broken some long runs and has proven to be an athlete. 23 is running strong also. My concern is when 10 is put in the secondary, he seems lazy and doesn't move to the ball as he should. Most of the big pass plays are given up when the ball is thrown his way. Boone suppposedly has some tricks up their sleves that I suppose they are saving for the south game...IMO its gonna take more then a few tricks for a team that racks up the penalties and cant hold on to the ball. The game that everyone says will be close will more then likely be close because it will be sloppy.

Neither quaterback has really showed anything, 16 missed most of summer practice becuase of baseball and 10 shows alot of inconsistency. 10 hit a pretty big pass the play after the cherokee player got hurt, but other then that there hasnt been anything even close. 5 has broken some long runs and has proven to be an athlete. 23 is running strong also. My concern is when 10 is put in the secondary, he seems lazy and doesn't move to the ball as he should. Most of the big pass plays are given up when the ball is thrown his way. Boone suppposedly has some tricks up their sleves that I suppose they are saving for the south game...IMO its gonna take more then a few tricks for a team that racks up the penalties and cant hold on to the ball. The game that everyone says will be close will more then likely be close because it will be sloppy.

I think both sides will open up their bag of tricks tbb. It wouldn't surprise me to see at least 3 special plays per side, especially early until the game settles in. I just remember the great play action Boone hit South with last year to start the 2nd half with a TD. It was hardly a trick, but well executed when the Rebels were settling in and suddenly were reeling.

I don't agree with the lazy comment, I just think he doesn't have quick enough feet to play corner. It also doesn't help that there hasn't been any pash rush to speak of either. I'm sure JJ will dial up some blitzes this week, plus they will play alot more nickel with South being more of a passing team.

I don't agree with the lazy comment, I just think he doesn't have quick enough feet to play corner. It also doesn't help that there hasn't been any pash rush to speak of either. I'm sure JJ will dial up some blitzes this week, plus they will play alot more nickel with South being more of a passing team.

I see him being lazy, thats my opinion. I call it that because I've seen the lack of effort in every sport he has played. He has a strong arm and is a smart kid but he belongs in the offense and thats it. JJ has a team full of players that can jump in the corner position and be effective. IF JJ goes with the both qbs in the offense at the same time scheme he talked about all preseason I dont see how he can go both ways. We will see. There were some blitzes early in the seymour game but they were quickly hidden away back in the play book. Boone has played conservative football against weak openents. This week will tell all. We win then we have a shot at the big 8 title. We lose then it will me an average season.

Congrats Boone on your #6 ranking. We know you are very good. Surprized you weren't ranked even higher.

Thanks, but I wonder who the homer was that gave us a first place vote.

Where are all the South fans? Are you circling the wagons or is everybody accepting the inevitable?

Thanks, but I wonder who the homer was that gave us a first place vote.

Where are all the South fans? Are you circling the wagons or is everybody accepting the inevitable?

Retrenching for Friday's battle. Hoping for a knock down, drag out battle without injuries to either team.

Go Rebels!