Crockett Co(1-0) @ Obion Co.(1-1)

treefitty74

There are games you go to that just leave you with a sick feeling in your gut...This was one of those...Third ranked Crockett County scored with 1:47 remaining in the game to turn back Obion Central's upset bid in Troy tonight...Final score was 22-16...

The sick feeling comes from the fact the Rebels got just about everything they needed from their much maligned defense and also got big yards out of their non-existent run game (LeDevin Fair rushed for close to 200 yards and had several runs including about a 50 yarder for TD negated because of holding penalties) but missed several opportunities at the end of the first half and start of the second to expand on a 10-7 lead...

Crockett County was very un-Crockett County-like with 4 maybe 5 turnovers...It seemed at times in the second quarter and part of the third that CC was just begging the Rebels to take the game...The Rebels didn't take the gifts and do anything with them...

A very troubling trend reared it's very ugly head tonight as OC unofficially committed 11 HUGE penalties, one that negated a touchdown run by LeDevin Fair in the 4th quarter, for around 150 yards...A good number of those being holding penalties but also a disturbing amount of personal foul penalties after plays that tacked on big yards....

Simple fact of the matter is this...Crockett County knows what it takes to win these types of games and Obion Central doesn't...The Rebels have nobody to blame but themselves in this one....

The Rebs don't get to feel sorry for themselves because they travel out of state for a 1pm game at SEMO next Saturday against the Cape Central Tigers...

There are games you go to that just leave you with a sick feeling in your gut...This was one of those...Third ranked Crockett County scored with 1:47 remaining in the game to turn back Obion Central's upset bid in Troy tonight...Final score was 22-16...

The sick feeling comes from the fact the Rebels got just about everything they needed from their much maligned defense and also got big yards out of their non-existent run game (LeDevin Fair rushed for close to 200 yards and had several runs including about a 50 yarder for TD negated because of holding penalties) but missed several opportunities at the end of the first half and start of the second to expand on a 10-7 lead...

Crockett County was very un-Crockett County-like with 4 maybe 5 turnovers...It seemed at times in the second quarter and part of the third that CC was just begging the Rebels to take the game...The Rebels didn't take the gifts and do anything with them...

A very troubling trend reared it's very ugly head tonight as OC unofficially committed 11 HUGE penalties, one that negated a touchdown run by LeDevin Fair in the 4th quarter, for around 150 yards...A good number of those being holding penalties but also a disturbing amount of personal foul penalties after plays that tacked on big yards....

Simple fact of the matter is this...Crockett County knows what it takes to win these types of games and Obion Central doesn't...The Rebels have nobody to blame but themselves in this one....

The Rebs don't get to feel sorry for themselves because they travel out of state for a 1pm game at SEMO next Saturday against the Cape Central Tigers...

Wallace Milam)

I wouild like to take this opportunity to eat some crow ahd congratulate Obion Central on their effort against Crockett. I had predicted a 41-7 Crockett blowout. What I saw was an exciting--but ragged game which came down to the final 2 minutes.

First let me praise the Obion Central offense. Your TB had a tremendous game. He has some elusiveness and the needed "other gear" for breakaways. He played a great game. I found your QB average for the spread formation. Has a good arm, but not a really good touch, had some drops. I don't think OCCHS completed a pass in the second half--maybe one--and Phipps is clearly not a runner, which you need to make the spread work better. I thought the Rebel receivers did pretty well in catching balls over the middle.

Then there is Crockett County. This is the weakest Cavalier team I have seen in the past 8 years. Taylor is tremendous at FB, but the offensive line is not up to standards, especially at tackle; only one WB can run inside the tackles, and the QB seems only to be able to hand the ball off, not to throw it or run with it.

Interesting and exciting game. Obion Central is better than I had thougjht and Crockett is not as good as I had thought. Obion Central may well have a winning record--6-4 or at best 5-5.

It was a heck of a ball game..both teams had many penalties! Crockett played very un crockett ..5 turn overs and countless penailtes.This game was a nail bitter very intense very exciting and kinda odd lol .My cavs better practice hard this week if they wanna beat dyer co

Wallace Milam)

I wouild like to take this opportunity to eat some crow ahd congratulate Obion Central on their effort against Crockett. I had predicted a 41-7 Crockett blowout. What I saw was an exciting--but ragged game which came down to the final 2 minutes.

First let me praise the Obion Central offense. Your TB had a tremendous game. He has some elusiveness and the needed "other gear" for breakaways. He played a great game. I found your QB average for the spread formation. Has a good arm, but not a really good touch, had some drops. I don't think OCCHS completed a pass in the second half--maybe one--and Phipps is clearly not a runner, which you need to make the spread work better. I thought the Rebel receivers did pretty well in catching balls over the middle.

Then there is Crockett County. This is the weakest Cavalier team I have seen in the past 8 years. Taylor is tremendous at FB, but the offensive line is not up to standards, especially at tackle; only one WB can run inside the tackles, and the QB seems only to be able to hand the ball off, not to throw it or run with it.

Interesting and exciting game. Obion Central is better than I had thougjht and Crockett is not as good as I had thought. Obion Central may well have a winning record--6-4 or at best 5-5.

I think Phipps showed his inexperience tonight....After the first INT he kind of got rattled it seemed...He was locking in on his receivers and seemed very timid on other passes...He made a very ordinary secondary look better than it was....Turnovers and penalties killed OC...Phipps is better than what he showed tonight....Good to see Fair have a good game....You would think that with him having close to 200 yards rushing, the passing game would have really took off...It just never did...

Cape Central will come into the game at 2-0..They went on the road and beat Festus 28-16....

Sikeston, by the way, improved to 2-0 with a 51-6 beat down of Charleston...

I agree with you 100% P&G. I told my wife I think that was the most dissapointing game I've ever watched as OC fan. They truly LOST that game. The penalties are very disturbing. I would love to know what all the personal fouls were for exactly. That has been a sore spot for OC for the past couple years and you would've thought they could take care of it but it just keeps happening over and over. Was dissapointed in the passing game. Looked nothing like the week before when we threw for 330 yards. Phipps is a much better QB than what he showed. What can you say about LeDevin Fair? He is just an outstanding talent. Really hard nosed runner and can see the field well. Tough game coming up next week. Really have a bad feeling about it going to SEMO. I hope it's not anything like playing in Kentucky with all of there mysterious calls. Rebels will have to both run and pass well and not kill thereselves with useless penalties.

Tough game for the Rebels to loose. I listened to some of the game while attending the U C game.

The Rebels will get better and have threats all over the field.

Keep it up Rebs, your hard work is starting to show up of being respected now by all.

Looks like the Tornadoes need to shore up their defense as well.....28 and 29 points given up in the first two games....

P.S.

UCDIA....LOL !!

I agree with you 100% P&G. I told my wife I think that was the most dissapointing game I've ever watched as OC fan. They truly LOST that game. The penalties are very disturbing. I would love to know what all the personal fouls were for exactly. That has been a sore spot for OC for the past couple years and you would've thought they could take care of it but it just keeps happening over and over. Was dissapointed in the passing game. Looked nothing like the week before when we threw for 330 yards. Phipps is a much better QB than what he showed. What can you say about LeDevin Fair? He is just an outstanding talent. Really hard nosed runner and can see the field well. Tough game coming up next week. Really have a bad feeling about it going to SEMO. I hope it's not anything like playing in Kentucky with all of there mysterious calls. Rebels will have to both run and pass well and not kill thereselves with useless penalties.

One might have been a hit out of bounds...I saw an OC player throw a guy down after the whistle but I think more were of the mouthing off/taunting variety....That's got to stop...It shows a lack of discipline but more importantly a lack of class...

LeDevin did a real good job except for the two fumbles, one that he lost...Should have had close to 250-280 yards rushing if not for the multitude of holding penalties...The radio said he had 182 but it could have been more...72 on one run...

Does it look to you like some of the guys on the D-line have their eyes closed ??...They run by so many tackles..CC had two kids with over 100 yards rushing again...CC is not a threat through the air, at all...Two INTs out of four passes thrown...But, when you get 5 turnovers from a team like Crockett County you got to make them pay...They may not have 5 TOs in the next 5 games...

One might have been a hit out of bounds...I saw an OC player throw a guy down after the whistle but I think more were of the mouthing off/taunting variety....That's got to stop...It shows a lack of discipline but more importantly a lack of class...

LeDevin did a real good job except for the two fumbles, one that he lost...Should have had close to 250-280 yards rushing if not for the multitude of holding penalties...The radio said he had 182 but it could have been more...72 on one run...

Does it look to you like some of the guys on the D-line have their eyes closed ??...They run by so many tackles..CC had two kids with over 100 yards rushing again...CC is not a threat through the air, at all...Two INTs out of four passes thrown...But, when you get 5 turnovers from a team like Crockett County you got to make them pay...They may not have 5 TOs in the next 5 games...

The difference in the Defense from last week to this one was like night and day. Still gave up some yards but you're not gonna completely shut down a team like Crockett Co. If they contiue to improve on that side of the ball from week to week we're gonna have a really good team before it's over with. Most of these guys are underclassmen so they'll continue to get better. What are your thoughts on the Cape game? I know they'll be out for revenge for the way it ended last year with Patrick running for 70+ yards on the final play when the game was already decided. I didn't like that at all and thought it showed very poor sportsmanship. I remember Coach Jackson wasn't very happy about it.

The difference in the Defense from last week to this one was like night and day. Still gave up some yards but you're not gonna completely shut down a team like Crockett Co. If they contiue to improve on that side of the ball from week to week we're gonna have a really good team before it's over with. Most of these guys are underclassmen so they'll continue to get better. What are your thoughts on the Cape game? I know they'll be out for revenge for the way it ended last year with Patrick running for 70+ yards on the final play when the game was already decided. I didn't like that at all and thought it showed very poor sportsmanship. I remember Coach Jackson wasn't very happy about it.

I've kind of been keeping up with Cape on a couple of SEMO websites....They are much better than they were last season...They have a huge O-line...All their kids will hear the whole week is how OC rubbed it in on them at Troy...The boys could be running into a buzz saw actually...

They got to put this week behind them...First road game...Playing in the afternoon...Playing on Saturday...All new stuff...It's going to be a huge challenge...

Ah, so you see it too. I talked about how in the Sikeston game the D-line over ran the play and what I feel the D-line needs to do. I say forget the penetration and concentrate on gap control. Passing offenses will not be the killer for the OC defense, but the run will be. Gap control does not give you tackles for a loss, but it can sure minimize those long breakaway runs. The paper had Miller with 24 stops (14 solo) for the Rebs. No way that should happen for a safety. The D-line still needs to step up and make more plays at the line and I just don't see that happening when they have their heads down driving for penetration. With that said, the defense did look much better this week. Glad to see that kind of improvement. The passing game never got in rythym, although Fair looked great in the run game. Appears to me Phipps has to pass often to get his timing and to excel at his game. And that could be a lack of maturity for the junior. The kid has great potential and I hope he has a great season.

Crockett didn't look like the #3 team in the state that night. They are still a good team, and they did what they had to for the win. Congrats to the Cavs. But they also have some "fixin" to do to make their presence known in the state this year. Good luck to CC from here on out.