Dobyns-Bennett vs. Sullivan Central

dbindian11

Bud my post was saying that city schools state wide are heading toward bigger and bigger student bodies,teaching studies have found that a 600 student highschool if the best all around for learning. I can see how that would be true. Many things can help a smaller school win against bigger ones. For many years many of the good students around the county went to DB in hopes for attention from bigger schools, and it helped DB do better against their oppents. That is a fact not a complaint. The same thing is still happening but now some of the other schools get players from noncompetive football schools as well. Bud if you believe bigger numbers does not mean more wins then you have never coached much. year after year if I pick my 11 form 100 and you pick your 11 from 25 I'll beat you 85% of the time. Then parents see my program as a winner and bring me little johnny superstar and my snow ball gets bigger & bigger.Bottom Line DB is a program disigned to win, they do the most with there own kids and take all the in county talent and transfers that come to them, with which they try to build a championship team.Nothing wrong with that.

Its not the size of the school that makes a winning football program, Its the quality of the program and the coaching staff. Interest and support from the community also factor in. Their are alot of "Big" schools in this state that have never had much success. Their are alot of "small" schools that can take these "big" schools to the woodshed on a regular basis. Its the program and the coaching staff at DB that makes them the best in Upper East Tn., not transfers from the county. We generaly have more student athletes transfer out than transfer in.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winchell is a Division I quality player. He has nothing to support him. No one to throw to and no one to defend him. If he gets a pass off against DB pay close attention to his method. It will be spot on target at high velocity but uncatchable by his recievers. I would like to know from anyone if he has generated any attention yet?

Edited by compusatman

Its not the size of the school that makes a winning football program, Its the quality of the program and the coaching staff. Interest and support from the community also factor in. Their are alot of "Big" schools in this state that have never had much success. Their are alot of "small" schools that can take these "big" schools to the woodshed on a regular basis. Its the program and the coaching staff at DB that makes them the best in Upper East Tn., not transfers from the county. We generaly have more student athletes transfer out than transfer in.

I did not say it was the transfers that make DB great I said it was the use of them along with all the other things that makes DBs program the quality system it is. What small schools take the big schools to the woodshed ON A REGULAR BASIS. SC could not go all the way at South but watch what happens now that his talent pool is so much deeper. WILL HE COACH SH BETTER THAN HE DID SOUTH ?? I don't think so. So WaCo if GC was at Central would he win Friday night, if DB was not the best team around most of the time would Cook be there. Are you saying if DB only had 600 kids they would be as good a team as they are now? Would North keep getting quality transfers if their program was not getting better all the time. Few of the kids that have came to North in the last few years would have came there to play for a losing team. My point is that it is easier to build a Great program from a bigger school with lots of money than it is to do so at a small county school with a small county budget. If you can't see the truth here then your ego is puffed up over your eyes

As always WaCo, you are totally correct (when you want to be)because you know your high school football. Good coaching + quality + community interest + total control + money =ingredients for success. Dobyns-Bennett, Oak Ridge, Alcoa, Maryville, Greeneville, Tennessee High, and even Elizabethton over the years have most of these on a regular basis. It takes the money and control to hire and keep the good coaching staff to build and keep the tradition. City schools, as the only high school under their school board, have a big advantage usually. And before you start spewing exceptions, yes there are some, but they are few and far between. Cite some examples for instance that are county or city schools that share within the system and are premier. Riverdale,Oakland,and Melrose come to mind and i'm sure there are others. They still have all the criteria except maybe the total control.

I'm a Kingsport guy and support Dobyns-Bennett after my local school, but aside from the reasons I listed,there are 2 reasons the Indians are the state's winningest football program: 1)founded in 1921 2)Eastman chemical and there's nothing wrong with that.

Winchell is a Division I quality player. He has nothing to support him. No one to throw to and no one to defend him. If he gets a pass off against DB pay close attention to his method. It will be spot on target at high velocity but uncatchable by his recievers. I would like to know from anyone if he has generated any attention yet?

Ok this is not a knock on the kid. This is about the 4th time I have read a post like this.

Please tell me why? Looks great in practice? Something he did last year I missed? Has there been a break out game sometime we missed?

Stats:

TD's:

Yards:

40 speed:

# INTS:

INT VS Pass completion ratio:

No. Schools don't want to recruit from a 2-38 team (over 4 years). Cause if the coach picks a bad athlete then they are ridiculed and held responsible for picking the athlete from the 2-38 team. If you pick a bad athlete from a 38-2 team then you are not ridiculed and you may still keep your college coaching job.

Bud, I really enjoy your input on these boards, but tire of your D-B #1, South stinks rhetoric. Let me help you out since you are embarrassing yourself with your argument. Why did D-B lose to 5A Clinton last year? Why does TSSAA classify schools according to SIZE? Why is Greeneville ranked #1 today and "below average" Knox West #13?

5A Clinton had probably its best team it has ever had last year. D1 running back Hazelhurst and one of the top dual threat quarterbacks in the state and we also played them down to the wire with the worst DB team in 25 years.

I did not say it was the transfers that make DB great I said it was the use of them along with all the other things that makes DBs program the quality system it is. What small schools take the big schools to the woodshed ON A REGULAR BASIS. SC could not go all the way at South but watch what happens now that his talent pool is so much deeper. WILL HE COACH SH BETTER THAN HE DID SOUTH ?? I don't think so. So WaCo if GC was at Central would he win Friday night, if DB was not the best team around most of the time would Cook be there. Are you saying if DB only had 600 kids they would be as good a team as they are now? Would North keep getting quality transfers if their program was not getting better all the time. Few of the kids that have came to North in the last few years would have came there to play for a losing team. My point is that it is easier to build a Great program from a bigger school with lots of money than it is to do so at a small county school with a small county budget. If you can't see the truth here then your ego is puffed up over your eyes

Two points i would like to make. 1) Some kids would rather be a big fish in a small pond. And i don't blame them for going where they will get to play. This has became evident with the transfers leaving DB and going to North and South. If in fact those players were thinking seriously about playing at the next level, then they would stay at DB where they could increase their ability competing against better team mates and competion. With a couple of exceptions, i think James Brown would have been a great addition to the DB game plan if he had decided to stay. Another, i believe Jordan Cassell would have been a great DB player. I think had he stayed he would have played a lot as a soph. when Sensabaugh was hurt and a lot on defense maybe even starting last year. When he played at Sevier with Sensabaugh and Steele they complimented each other so much, that they won the area middle school championship. Those kids worked their butts off for each other and it paid off. I wish all these players the best of luck and i support all our local teams, as should everyone who lives here. All this hate your neighbor crap really makes me mad. As a whole this attitude shows how jealious a society we have become. College football is a perfect example of why kids go to which college. Would you send your D1 prospect to Florida or to Furman? Naturally, they will go where they have the opportunity to win and make it to the next level. 2) Stacy Carter will win in Johnson City if he is worth his salt. I don't know if this season will tell the story(little to early) but by next year if he's not winning or beating DB people will start to talk. Roll Tribe!!!!!!!!!

Edited by dbFAN91

Bud, I really enjoy your input on these boards, but tire of your D-B #1, South stinks rhetoric. Let me help you out since you are embarrassing yourself with your argument. Why did D-B lose to 5A Clinton last year? Why does TSSAA classify schools according to SIZE? Why is Greeneville ranked #1 today and "below average" Knox West #13?

Exactly! Clinton was a very good football team last year with some big time players. This year, they are down some but are still a very good team. The game Friday night with Clinton really opened my eyes as to how good this DB team will be. Overcoming 5 turnovers and still winning by 30. Pretty dang dominent performance. I was unsure after the Farragut game, but after the game and seeing Farragut beat Oak Ridge, i think i realize how special this team really is. Greenville is ranked number one in the state because they are. Now having said that, they are like Alcoa, they should be playing up instead of down in classification, regardless of school size. As far as West, i think they are over rated. They are big but not very well conditioned. They have some players to make some noise if they progress during the season. I don't like the current classification but we have to do what the T$$AA says. I look forward to being in a different conference again some day. Not to down the rest of the big eight, i just miss having the road trips to bigger schools and tougher games. No matter what anyone says the conferences should be compiled of the same classifications only. I would rather go 8-2 against 6a teams than go 10-0 against mostly 5a or less. Roll Tribe!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two points i would like to make. 1) Some kids would rather be a big fish in a small pond. And i don't blame them for going where they will get to play. This has became evident with the transfers leaving DB and going to North and South. If in fact those players were thinking seriously about playing at the next level, then they would stay at DB where they could increase their ability competing against better team mates and competion. With a couple of exceptions, i think James Brown would have been a great addition to the DB game plan if he had decided to be a team player and work hard. Another, i believe Jordan Cassell would have been a great DB player. I think had he stayed he would have played a lot as a soph. when Sensabaugh was hurt and a lot on defense maybe even starting last year. When he played at Sevier with Sensabaugh and Steele they complimented each other so much, that they won the area middle school championship. Those kids worked their butts off for each other and it paid off. I wish all these players the best of luck and i support all our local teams, as should everyone who lives here. All this hate your neighbor crap really makes me mad. As a whole this attitude shows how jealious a society we have become. College football is a perfect example of why kids go to which college. Would you send your D1 prospect to Florida or to Furman? Naturally, they will go where they have the opportunity to win and make it to the next level. 2) Stacy Carter will win in Johnson City if he is worth his salt. I don't know if this season will tell the story(little to early) but by next year if he's not winning or beating DB people will start to talk. Roll Tribe!!!!!!!!!

I agree. The only transfers South has had were Bobby Taylor and Jordan Cassell. Bobby did not have the speed to go to a high division but he had everything else. His timing was more or less good for him to come to South. But had he stayed at DB he would have shared the backfield with Chris. DB could have used him last season. Jordan may very well be a different story. Jordan fits in the mix with Chris and Swafford just fine. He brings something to the table that would have complemented the trio. Of course, that is before Canon... But I agree any athletes college asperations are enhanced playing at DB versus any other school in the region. No one can argue with that. So why did they come? Good question because they really did not get more playing time at South versus what they would have gotten at DB. I think more, and quicker playing time had to be in their thinking but Stacy was well aware of what he had coming from 2004. Many will say they weren't utilized. I think in Bobby's case that could be true. Especially during the playoffs of 2008.

Exactly! Clinton was a very good football team last year with some big time players. This year, they are down some but are still a very good team. The game Friday night with Clinton really opened my eyes as to how good this DB team will be. Overcoming 5 turnovers and still winning by 30. Pretty dang dominent performance. I was unsure after the Farragut game, but after the game and seeing Farragut beat Oak Ridge, i think i realize how special this team really is. Greenville is ranked number one in the state because they are. Now having said that, they are like Alcoa, they should be playing up instead of down in classification, regardless of school size. As far as West, i think they are over rated. They are big but not very well conditioned. They have some players to make some noise if they progress during the season. I don't like the current classification but we have to do what the T$$AA says. I look forward to being in a different conference again some day. Not to down the rest of the big eight, i just miss having the road trips to bigger schools and tougher games. No matter what anyone says the conferences should be compiled of the same classifications only. I would rather go 8-2 against 6a teams than go 10-0 against mostly 5a or less. Roll Tribe!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree again. Not because I fear playing the 6A schools. Because in 2007 and 2008 I would have paid to play DB. But, Knox West is a good example. Their conference is comprised of three top level 6A programs. They will never win their conference. They will get knocked out of the playoffs again this year. It is a terrible system. It was better before. The 5A and 4A schools can always schedule 6A schools as elective games to intensify their schedules. And they should. Racing improves the breed.