Dobyns-Bennett vs. Sullivan Central

dbindian11

What about those small schools over in Southwest Va.? Nothing special going on over there. Some of them struggle to buy uniforms for all the players. Powell Valley, Gate City, Richlands and some years Appalacaha. All are good enough to beat alot of the 3,4, & 5A schools in upper east tn. Gate City has been down for a couple years but they used to beat Tennessee High & North every time they played. You guys need to quite whinning and start doing something about the problem. As for as open enrollment goes we might as well have it here. We've got players moving all over the place in the Tri-Cities area.

I just read in an earlier post on this thread that little county school Ketron once beat the winningest program in Tennessee. You can find exceptions to any general truth to attempt to bring relevance to your line of thinking Waco. It's how you establish control.

tell you what. Make South a city school. Cut us in on a Kingsport sized city school budget. Give us total control to run our high school like you guys have. No North, Central, or East to consider or divide the goods with. Let us stay in 4A where we will be and we will bring home the gold ball that all of Kingsport is frothy-mouthed lusting for. Deal??? It could happen if you boys overcome your control fears.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about those small schools over in Southwest Va.? Nothing special going on over there. Some of them struggle to buy uniforms for all the players. Powell Valley, Gate City, Richlands and some years Appalacaha. All are good enough to beat alot of the 3,4, & 5A schools in upper east tn. Gate City has been down for a couple years but they used to beat Tennessee High & North every time they played. You guys need to quite whinning and start doing something about the problem. As for as open enrollment goes we might as well have it here. We've got players moving all over the place in the Tri-Cities area.

Waco do you think Kingsport will ever have 2 High Schools ? ( in our lifetimes)

Edited by 02raiderdad

Southwest VA parents fight first and use diplomacy to clean up the mess. The tell gays and athiests to get on the coal train and find their way to JC. These people live for Friday nights.

Southwest VA parents fight first and use diplomacy to clean up the mess. The tell gays and athiests to get on the coal train and find their way to JC. These people live for Friday nights.

I will never forget the 1st GateCity Powellvalley game I went to at Legion Field. It was pouring down rain going in and a little old man on a walker with his oxygen bottle strapped to it pushed by me to get to his reserved seat. GC is a lot like all city systems they skim the cream from all around them.

I can't speak for North, but the quality of Viking teams in the late 90s was significantly different from recent years. You could say the same about Gate City's teams. Gate City was a semifinalist in Division 3 in '96 while Tenneseee went 5-5. The Blue Devils won the state title in '97 while the Vikings were 6-4. Gate City had a down year going 3-7 in '98 while the Vikings went 6-4 again. The Blue Devils also made 2 additional semi-final appearances in '99 and 2000 going 12-1 both years while the Vikings went 5-5 and 7-3. They were in their version of 3A during all of those years and at some point they dropped down to 2A. Gate City had a pretty good year last year going 10-2, but judging by the score they were no match for South. But I still need to give credit to some of the Southwest Va schools; they're able to do more with less. Gate City and Powell Valley have rich traditions which includes several state titles.

South's decreasing enrollment may affect them, but if they get 50 to 65 players out every year than I don't think the enrollment issue will hurt them too much unless they aim to stay in the Big 8. They didn't look that great in some of the games I saw them in last year, but they still made it to the semifinals. South has went 8-2 or better every year for the past 5 years so I wouldn't find it suprising for them to slip a little this year.

Edited by THSVikings2004

I got to reading and forgot this was a DB vs Central thread.Good stuff .Really for Central,it's a matter of keeping more of it's skill players and stud athletes at home.Two or three are at DB.A starting defensive back and future running back is at South and a D1 offensive lineman is at TH.I know there are more but they are just getting the worst of it.North has some fine DB boys as does South.It just seems that all trains are leading out of Central and none back into it like at the rest of our schools..

I got to reading and forgot this was a DB vs Central thread.Good stuff .Really for Central,it's a matter of keeping more of it's skill players and stud athletes at home.Two or three are at DB.A starting defensive back and future running back is at South and a D1 offensive lineman is at TH.I know there are more but they are just getting the worst of it.North has some fine DB boys as does South.It just seems that all trains are leading out of Central and none back into it like at the rest of our schools..

Good points Batman. It's tough to rebuild if you cannot keep your premier players at home. South has been happy to get the transfers they have had in recent years as I'm sure D-B, Tn Hi. and especially North have.

This should be a good game for the Tribe to fine tune some things, tighten up special teams, and get everyone some PT for a big stretch run thru Boone and Sevier Co.

Come on guys. It's not a perfect world no matter how much we want it to be. For every winner, there has to be a loser. Central is playing in the classification that they should be in. It is their job to develop a winning program. Central has more students than South and I don't see anybody feeling sorry for the Rebs because they are 0-2. I guess it's because they have been fortunate to win big the last 6 years with fewer students. Central needs to schedule some smaller, non-conference teams like Unicoi Co.,Unaka, Cloudland etc. until they get a feel for winning some. Now if you want to complain about the TSSAA making Central and South play in a league with Science Hill and Dobyns-Bennett you are crying out for justice.

Edited by WaCoJaCo

Something going on at Central right now. Reported shots being fired and a intruder at the High School.

Just heard it as well on WCYB WaCo. I hope this is erroneous reporting but fear not. Let's pray for those involved in the situation and all our kids at whatever schcool they attend. It is sad commentary on where we are as a society.