Oneida @ Cumberland Gap

crow

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your 100% right Injun! I was prepared for the worse this year but Dang, having seen these boys play, my expectation went up like 1000%! They are a really, really good team. That offense is leathal if they can just hold on to the dadgum ball! Big If!

Im not worried bout the razzing! Next year this entire team will be back and the year after the Indians will be 4 deep at every position and probably starting a Freshman LB. That will be a hoot! 8-)

The Indians will be back!! They dont know the phrase quit. The game v/s wartburg was hard fought and you diddnt give up. Regaurdless to what idiots like oletiger says you all have a man schedule not north green, witwell no disrespect to them, Keep your heads up that is a good team you have and I look forward to seeing you all keep some tail! By the way do you all have Sunbright on the Schedule this year?

Will the coachs stay with the freshmen and sophmors at reciever spots or will they start useing some of their juniors with massingale and a senior or two.That might stop some of the offensive mistakes.

That's a good question. Coach Brewster is a no-nonsense kinda guy. The rule at Oneida (at least for the last 6-7 years...SmashMouth timeline) has been the best players get the most playing time. That's the way Coach Sexton runs the middle school and that's how Coach Brewster runs the high school.

All a coach can do is teach a boy how to play, then put the best unit of boys out on the field, in the best position to win. Luckily we have a great coaching staff and a really tallented group of kids so it's just getting over the hump of focusing every play for EVERY player. Some of the problems come with linemen missing blocks which leads to a RB getting hit the backfield....etc....

Short answer, I am 100% Coach Brewster and his staff know who is doing what and what needs to happen to fix anything not correct. The season is not over by a long shot. The Indians are in a hole, but it aint that deep yet!

Well Smash I hope that they stay in that hole for at least one more week!! CG, like Oneida, has a lot of young kids playing. They have a bunch of sophs and jrs out there. And with only 5 Seniors on the team, leadership on the field sometimes is the question. If you dont get the leadership you need from the very few upperclassmen that you have, then things can unravel in a hurry. Luckily for CG, it seems like some of the younger ones are stepping up to the plate in the leadership department. On another note, I hope this game doesnt turn into the fog bowl again like it was the last time Oneida came to town! I could barely see the kids out there from the stands!

I'm willing to concur with Smash....the players on the field on game night are probably earning that right during the week of practice. Everyone and their uncle knows we have to do a better job of holding on to the football, but we have the best players on the field. BECAUSE that is who the coaches have out there! When you feel you have "the right stuff".....apply for the job. Folks....it ain't as easy as it looks! :roflolk: One born every minute!

Kazzy

Boy you figured our little secret out, we let our young kids go to Head start. What's your beef there hairyman23? This is the second post you've made referring to "kinderstart". I've been following Oneida football closely for many years & can't recall a single senior that graduated older than 18. I think that's about the normal age for graduation isn't it. In fact a large number of our starters have to hitch a ride to & from practice because they are to young to drive. Now I'm sure you have a point but I'm beginning to think it is only valid in your little world.

BTW is there no kindergarten or head start in devil land?

You might want to check that out a little more. (18) I don't know how they are 15 in the 8th grade(large # of them anyway) and then 18 in the 12th. Doesn't add up. It is well known up there and now others are finding out about Kinderstart. Don't get me wrong I wish we would do it. Have they stopped Kinderstart? If they don't have it anymore they used to have the program.

"I've been following Oneida football closely for many years & can't recall a single senior that graduated older than 18." I could name 3 right now from last year. Two are in harriman at roane state and was talking about it just the other day.

I dont have a dog in this fight, but, according to the TSSAA rules, as long as you dont turn 15 on or before august 1st, you are eligible in middle school ball. In high school, its as long as you dont turn 19 on or before august 1st. If the parents want to do it then hey I'm all for it. I wish more parents would do it up here in Cumberland Gap. It makes a difference...a big difference.

You might want to check that out a little more. (18) I don't know how they are 15 in the 8th grade(large # of them anyway) and then 18 in the 12th. Doesn't add up. It is well known up there and now others are finding out about Kinderstart. Don't get me wrong I wish we would do it. Have they stopped Kinderstart? If they don't have it anymore they used to have the program.

"I've been following Oneida football closely for many years & can't recall a single senior that graduated older than 18." I could name 3 right now from last year. Two are in harriman at roane state and was talking about it just the other day.

Any teacher who has taught more than 1 year of middle school will tell that you the difference in BOYS (not girls) starting kintergarden at age 5 vs age 6 is tremendous. It's a maturity issue.

I have two boys, both will start kintergarden at age 6 (one already has). If you do the math, they should graduate at 18. Actually, my oldest son, who has started school, will turn 19 in May, then graduate. There is no conspiracy theory. Anybody can do it and I would suggest it. Boys simply are not as mature as girls.

Oneida has exceptional athletes because these kids work very hard, year round starting in middle school. You shouldn't suggest that Oneida's success comes from Kinderstart or magic water or some other crazy scheme. If a boy did graduate from Oneida and was 19, it was a matter of weeks or months.

I dont have a dog in this fight, but, according to the TSSAA rules, as long as you dont turn 15 on or before august 1st, you are eligible in middle school ball. In high school, its as long as you dont turn 19 on or before august 1st. If the parents want to do it then hey I'm all for it. I wish more parents would do it up here in Cumberland Gap. It makes a difference...a big difference.

The boys at Oneida are all 14 in Middle School. I wish folks could see how time Coach Sexton and Coach Lay and the rest of the Middle School staff put into the program. I garuntee you those men work as hard as any High School program out there. That's the big secret, I let the cat outa the bag.....Hard Work!

The boys at Oneida are all 14 in Middle School. I wish folks could see how time Coach Sexton and Coach Lay and the rest of the Middle School staff put into the program. I garuntee you those men work as hard as any High School program out there. That's the big secret, I let the cat outa the bag.....Hard Work!

Not disputing the hard work by any coaches Smash. Ours at CG work themselves to death too. I was just sayin that who cares if they are 15 or 12 in the 8th grade or 19 or 15 when they graduate high school. It's legal. It's smart. And it helps the boys out. I'm agreeing with you 100%, especially on the maturity thing. It makes a huge difference.