Portland Football

eers

What has happened to Portland football? For a team that is only 10 years removed from a state championship and 5 years removed from the playoffs to fall this far there must be a reason. Looking at there schedule, they could realistically go 0-10, from 1-9 last year.

Where do they go from here? How do you right this boat?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What has happened to Portland football? For a team that is only 10 years removed from a state championship and 5 years removed from the playoffs to fall this far there must be a reason. Looking at there schedule, they could realistically go 0-10, from 1-9 last year.

Can u say "BAILED" :shock: Perry and Co. left after seeing the writing on the wall :shock: Playing with "the BIG BOYZ" now and they still play second FIDDLE to the: now get this "the BIG BOYZ" :shock: after heading to Mt. Jupiter

I have NEVER posted on Portland football, but I think you should look at what the head coach did all those years he was an assistant. His last winning season was about 10 years ago when he was at Gallatin. No winning seasons at Shelbyville and no winning seasons at LaVergne, and now no wins at all at Portland.

Can u say "BAILED" :shock: Perry and Co. left after seeing the writing on the wall :shock: Playing with "the BIG BOYZ" now and they still play second FIDDLE to the: now get this "the BIG BOYZ" :shock: after heading to Mt. Jupiter

State championship was in 2A football now they are in 5A/6A with Gallatin, Beech, MJ, and Hendersonville. Little bit tougher I would say. Building the 2nd Middle school will help. I have seen both middle schools play this year and they do have some talent and also around 70 kids combined. 2-3 years down the road I think they will at least be respectable in a tough district. Some of the parents I talked to at a scrimmage in August think they are headed in the right direction but it will take a while.

Its not the coaching at Portland. Coach Sanders has done a great deal of work at Portland. The attitude at Portland is changing. There a work in progress. Be careful down the road because they could very easily sneak up on one of these powerhouses.

The attitude is changing...not sure I agree. Coach Bever and Co. at least won 5 ball games in three years. I don't see how starting 0-13 and a very possible second straight 0-10 year can change an attitude for the better. Another Sanders 0-10 means Coach Aric will be at the helm next year. It's harsh talk but true!

cough, cough 0-10 last year.

The attitude is changing...not sure I agree. Coach Bever and Co. at least won 5 ball games in three years. I don't see how starting 0-13 and a very possible second straight 0-10 year can change an attitude for the better. Another Sanders 0-10 means Coach Aric will be at the helm next year. It's harsh talk but true!

Coach Aric as the head coach at Portland next year? Really? I am not sure about that. Lets just be honest, Portland is playing in a 5A and 6A District with some of the best teams in the state you should expect some growing pains. Lets not throw anyone under the bus just yet. The only thing I would suggest to the Portland team is build around your strengths and focus on getting better week to week. Good luck to you except when you play the Wildcats.

Coach Bever is a good coach and those on his staff at Portland were very talented. I find it hard to believe that they were the problem. Perhaps it's athletes?

With that said, if you fire Bever and his staff for not winning, does Sanders really have a chance of sticking around after this year? Is Aric really the answer or do they look elsewhere? Perhaps a coordinator from a successful program?