Big Games in Memphis

kwc

Craigmont put up 33 and 56 on very bad teams. They put up only 21 against Kingsbury (Brentwood, MUS, and Briaircrest scored 30+ on Kingsbury). Craigmont still has a lot to prove. Cordova is always at least well coached...

They are usually well-coached. But Craigmont also has some good coaches in Coach Van Hooks running the offense and Coach Dotson running the D. I guess we'll find out in a few hours.

But let me also ask - how many points did Kingsbury put up on Brentwood and Briarcrest? 38 and 36. How many did they put up on Craigmont? 14.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In its loss to South Panola, MUS looked as slow as molasses at pretty much every position -- particularly @ RB. The QB also seemed like he was stuck in mud.

While Olive Branch does possess a lot of team speed, they are no South Panola!!! As such, I suspect that MUS will likely find enough ways to overcome its speed defecit....should be able to outlast OBs young team and pull out a narrow, hard fought victory.

--------------------------------

As for the alleged post-game locker room incident........

Wow! Man, if that indeed happened ...that's a 100% CLASS-LESS thing to do! Olive Branch's Administration should feel totally embarrassed and take immediate steps to make amends to Brentwood Academy, somehow!

Their rb's did look slow, but I think they only had like 10 rushing attempts. I was surprised #23 didn't run the ball more, he only had 1 attempt. The qb did look stuck in the mud, but primarily at the hands of the SP defense, lol.

All right Memphis high school football fans it's getting pretty interesting. There are some schools that aren't doing as well as was predicted and there are some schools doing better then expected. That's high school football for you. Here is my list of games.

Collierville (2-1) vs Ridgeway (3-0) @ Halle

Whitehaven (3-1) @ CBHS (3-0)

Craigmont (3-0) vs Cordova (1-2) @ Raleigh-Egypt

Mitchell (4-0) @ Melrose (1-2)

Germantown (1-2) vs Houston (2-2)

East (3-1) vs White Station (0-4)

MUS (3-1) vs Olive Branch (1-2)

Sheffield (3-1) vs Hillcrest (3-1)

My pics are as follows:

Ridgeway wins a hard faught game ... 21 - 10

Whitehaven wins a defensive fight ... 13 - 10

Craigmont wins ... 21 - 7

Melrose beats Mitchell ... 28 - 21

Houston beats Gtown ... 21 - 14

East wins .... 28 - 21

MUS wins ... 31 - 21

Hillcrest wins ... 16 - 14

Well ... that's it for me. Your turn!

Ridgeway wins 28-7

CBHS wins 10-7

Craigmont wins

Melrose wins 35-34

Gtown wins 21-14

White Station finally gets a W 35-14

MUS wins 17-14

Sheffield wins

Any CBHS fans know the status of Warren, Jennings and Zdancewicz? Add Trent Johnson to that list too, I think he got hurt last week.

They are usually well-coached. But Craigmont also has some good coaches in Coach Van Hooks running the offense and Coach Dotson running the D. I guess we'll find out in a few hours.

But let me also ask - how many points did Kingsbury put up on Brentwood and Briarcrest? 38 and 36. How many did they put up on Craigmont? 14.

You should know that "comparative scores" can be misleading, especially if not taken in context. I am not familiar with the Briarcrest game but Kingsbury put up 32 of those points in the 2nd half against reserves. I think BA even put uniforms on the managers and water boyz and played them too....

Their rb's did look slow, but I think they only had like 10 rushing attempts. I was surprised #23 didn't run the ball more, he only had 1 attempt. The qb did look stuck in the mud, but primarily at the hands of the SP defense, lol.

The last 2 years MUS running backs were sprinters on the track team. This year, they are baseball players. Their quickest and maybe fastest player probably is William Cross. He was the backup QB last year who directed 5 TDS against White Station after Brunetti went down. This year, out of necessity, he is a WR and is their best ball catcher. This is partly why an inexperienced Junior (Toby Baker) is at QB. He is a soccer (and BBall) player and a great punter, as anybody who saw the S Panola game can appreciate.

You should know that "comparative scores" can be misleading, especially if not taken in context. I am not familiar with the Briarcrest game but Kingsbury put up 32 of those points in the 2nd half against reserves. I think BA even put uniforms on the managers and water boyz and played them too....

I don't recall seeing reserves in the Briarcrest film. But maybe I'm wrong. Just keep doubting Craigmont.....

Article from tonight's game :

It was a game Hillcrest will wonder how it managed to lose. And one that Sheffield won’t apologize for winning.

The Knights (4-1, 2-0) took advantage of a special teams breakdown in the closing moments to escape with a 7-6 victory over their rivals in District 16-AA.

Clinging to a 6-0 lead with just under a minute remaining, the Vikings (3-2, 1-1) lined up to punt from their own goal line. Xavier Todd’s kick went straight up into the air, giving Sheffield possession of the ball on the two-yard line.

After a penalty for too many men on the field moved the ball half the distance to the goal, Knights quarterback Deuntre Williams punched it in to tie the score with 41 seconds left.

Then Anthony Williams calmly stepped up and booted the game-winning extra point, despite a high snap.

Some Hillcrest supporters were incensed with the officials, claiming Sheffield should have been called for roughing the kicker on the decisive play of the game.

“I’ll be honest; I’ll have to watch the tape,†said Vikings coach William Johnson. “I don’t know if it was (roughing) or if we just shanked it.â€

Knights coach LaShawn Lester said he’ll take the victory any way he can get it.

“Some wins are pretty and some are ugly,†he said.

Lester rightly pointed out that there were questionable calls against both teams, including one that negated a scoring run by Deuntre Williams earlier in the fourth quarter.

“They said it was holding on number 56 and we don’t even have a number 56,†he said. “I’m not going to bash the officials. The calls went both ways.â€

It was a night for the defenses.

Sheffield won despite gaining just 91 yards of total offense, including a grand total of just four on the ground. Hillcrest had 148 yards of total offense, 80 of which came on the opening drive of the game that was capped off Brian Baskerville’s four-yard touchdown run.

“We’re young,†said Lester, pointing to a roster that has just six seniors. “But we fight. We find a way.â€

Johnson too praised his team’s “valiant effort.†After a 14-8 loss to fourth-ranked Mitchell in the opening week of the season, the Vikings will now have to regroup following another tough loss.

“We’re halfway through the season,†Johnson said. “We’re 3-2 and we’d love to be 4-1.â€

The game was delayed for well over half-an-hour in the third quarter when an ambulance was called to attend to Sheffield running back Trent Watson, who suffered a broken ankle.

The delay was compounded even further when the paramedics had to attend to an unidentified female Hillcrest supporter, who suffered an apparent seizure while Watson was being treated.

I don't recall seeing reserves in the Briarcrest film. But maybe I'm wrong. Just keep doubting Craigmont.....

I was referring only to the Kingsbury game. I stated that I knew nothing about the Briarcrest game. I'm not "doubting" Craigmont. I'm simply stating that Kingsbury scoring only 14 against you and 38 against Brentwood tells us very little. BA was ahead 41-0 at halftime. KB apparently largely kept their 1st team in for much of the 2nd half against BA reserves. Not a criticism of KB - they may not have had much choice. When comparing how teams do against common opponents, tricky at best, it means more when games are not blowouts.

The last 2 years MUS running backs were sprinters on the track team. This year, they are baseball players. Their quickest and maybe fastest player probably is William Cross. He was the backup QB last year who directed 5 TDS against White Station after Brunetti went down. This year, out of necessity, he is a WR and is their best ball catcher. This is partly why an inexperienced Junior (Toby Baker) is at QB. He is a soccer (and BBall) player and a great punter, as anybody who saw the S Panola game can appreciate.

I was very impressed with Baker's punting. I was curious as to why #23 didn't run the ball more against SP. He seems to have decent speed and much more size and strength than the other RB, which could have been better. However, I will say that most any team will have trouble running the ball vs SP.

I was very impressed with Baker's punting. I was curious as to why #23 didn't run the ball more against SP. He seems to have decent speed and much more size and strength than the other RB, which could have been better. However, I will say that most any team will have trouble running the ball vs SP.

When you hit punts for 57,50,52 and 56....You're pretty solid! Lot of folks should come knocking on the door.

I was referring only to the Kingsbury game. I stated that I knew nothing about the Briarcrest game. I'm not "doubting" Craigmont. I'm simply stating that Kingsbury scoring only 14 against you and 38 against Brentwood tells us very little. BA was ahead 41-0 at halftime. KB apparently largely kept their 1st team in for much of the 2nd half against BA reserves. Not a criticism of KB - they may not have had much choice. When comparing how teams do against common opponents, tricky at best, it means more when games are not blowouts.

That's a fair enough point in general. However, the Briarcrest/Kingsbury game showed a lot from both teams. That game tells quite a bit...

Here are my picks:

Collierville (2-1) vs Ridgeway (3-0) @ Halle- Ridgeway in a very good game.

Whitehaven (3-1) @ CBHS (3-0)- Whitehaven in a very good game. I wish I could be there!

Craigmont (3-0) vs Cordova (1-2) @ Raleigh-Egypt- Craigmont

Mitchell (4-0) @ Melrose (1-2)- This had to be a tough week in Orange Mound. Out of respect, no pick.

Germantown (1-2) vs Houston (2-2)- Germantown in a close one.

East (3-1) vs White Station (0-4)- WS gets their first W.

MUS (3-1) vs Olive Branch (1-2)- MUS

Edited by fourthree