Player Airlifted.....Motionless After Hit

Butchie

Last I heard this afternoon from his church family is that Drake is recovering from his AM surgery and did have movement in the upper extremities. His lower extremeties had some slight movement but no feeling still. He will require another procedure once the swelling subsides and the prognosis is still in question. The family is in a wait in see position at this time.

Please, everyone keep Drake and his family in prayer. They are going through a difficult time and will need all the support they can get.

I don't know the Damesworth side of his family much but, I know all of his moms family and they are strong, good McKenzie people but, none the less need all of our support now.

McKRebelDad, my daughter told me this AM that they are talking about putting in a stainless steel rod to prevent movement in the injured area.

I can tell you and all this much, I've known him for a few years now related to youth football up to now and he literally loves the game of football and plays every play at 100% and wishing for more. His eyes get all big during a game like Singletary always did. He's a good kid and a good player. I reckon everyone that knows him and his family are pretty much in shock right now....reckon that includes me.

I said something to tnrec1 (my daughter) a while back about getting my grandson a "cowboy collar" which helps prevent this type of accident. It won't prevent a compression type injury but anything that snaps the head from side to side or back it will help a lot. Today, I went out to the shop and found my son's old collar (it's a McDavid and one of the best made) and Mike will be wearing it next week!!

Odd but, when I played I played all out with reckless abandon. Had a neck injury myself (stinger which is now herniated!) and never missed a down...mainly 'cause I never told my parents. Now, I really need surgery to fix it but....... But to my point, It scares me to death to see one of my grandkids out there on the field and it scared me to death when it was my son out there. But, I know I have to let them live their lives and try to help them as much as I can.

Edited by duckman38201

McKRebelDad, my daughter told me this AM that they are talking about putting in a stainless steel rod to prevent movement in the injured area.

I can tell you and all this much, I've known him for a few years now related to youth football up to now and he literally loves the game of football and plays every play at 100% and wishing for more. His eyes get all big during a game like Singletary always did. He's a good kid and a good player. I reckon everyone that knows him and his family are pretty much in shock right now....reckon that includes me.

I said something to tnrec1 (my daughter) a while back about getting my grandson a "cowboy collar" which helps prevent this type of accident. It won't prevent a compression type injury but anything that snaps the head from side to side or back it will help a lot. Today, I went out to the shop and found my son's old collar (it's a McDavid and one of the best made) and Mike will be wearing it next week!!

Odd but, when I played I played all out with reckless abandon. Had a neck injury myself (stinger which is now herniated!) and never missed a down...mainly 'cause I never told my parents. Now, I really need surgery to fix it but....... But to my point, It scares me to death to see one of my grandkids out there on the field and it scared me to death when it was my son out there. But, I know I have to let them live their lives and try to help them as much as I can.

duck, that is the same thing I heard today. The second surgery will be for the rod when the swelling goes down. One of my sons is good friends with Drake and literally crushed him when Drake went down. I totally understand where you are coming from when your kids are out there. I watch and pray every week for no injuries. With my oldest on the line, I watch for the knee injuries mainly. That's why I'm so con to cutting and chop blocking.

During film this morning, you could see how the incident happened. We are really pulling for Drake and his family to get through this emotional time. My God help this young man and his family recover and heal.

duck, that is the same thing I heard today. The second surgery will be for the rod when the swelling goes down. One of my sons is good friends with Drake and literally crushed him when Drake went down. I totally understand where you are coming from when your kids are out there. I watch and pray every week for no injuries. With my oldest on the line, I watch for the knee injuries mainly. That's why I'm so con to cutting and chop blocking.

During film this morning, you could see how the incident happened. We are really pulling for Drake and his family to get through this emotional time. My God help this young man and his family recover and heal.

Of course I haven't seen it on film but, I did see it when it happened real time. It was a vicious lick passed. I hope that your son comes thru all this OK too. That is another bad part of all this. McKenzie and Gleason are ALMOST like one town....lots of us there and them here. Good grief, we only 5-6 miles apart. Drake just lives a mile or two from my grandsons and Drakes mom and my daughter played ball together in school and graduated together. I've been upset all day!!!

In my playing days, I was in the trenches like your kids are and I've had knee issues every since then. Had my right knee scoped about 12 years ago. And I also had a neck injury which was not such a big deal back when we played "ironman ball" I had a stinger. NOW it's a herniated disc that really needs surgery because it has a bad effect on my right hand...I'm right handed!!! So if you ever see me dropping stuff with my right hand you know what caused it!!!!! If I drop stuff with my left hand it's 'cause I'm an old fart!!!! Either way, somebody help me pick up whatever I drop.

Hang in there Drake!!! We're prayin' for ya'!!!

And RebelDad, if ya ever need someone to go to bat with you about cut and chop blocking give me a shout....I'll go to bat with you anytime on that! Usually it happens in a double team block. You have a post lineman and a drive lineman. Post hits low, drive hits high. Knee gone. You just don't realize it untill it happens. After my first one of those I started posting about their hip!!!

It's a wonder any of us that played back in my day are still walking, typing and able to still go watch the Rebels play!!!

Edited by duckman38201

Last Night Against Mckenzie...A Young Man Named Damesworth Was Severely Injured And Airlifted From Mckenzie's Medical Center. His Condition Is Not Know At This Time...It's Always Tragic When This Happens....And Prayers Do Help....

Butchie, I certainly hate to hear of this young man being seriously injured. The Grunt & TC

certainly wish him the best. With his age he has a good chance of healing this injury.

When I was wounded in "Nam, the Doc told me I would likely lose my right leg. Spent 16 mos.

in an Army hospital. Still walking around on the leg. I have faith he'll be just fine as well.

:thumb: :thumb:

So sad to hear of this...It gives me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach...It's the kind of thing every parent of every kid that plays football fears...I pray that God has in His plan that this young man fully recovers and has a testimony that glorifies God in every way...I also pray that God lays a protective blanket over each and every athlete out there giving his/her all and that no other injuries happen...Prayers going up for this young man and his family, school and community....

I read a text after church this morning on Drake - it stated he woke up early this morning (3:30 a.m.) hurting but that was from laying in the same position for a long time. He has been able to keep liquids down as well as jello and mashed potatoes. He has gotten a little more range of motion in his arms and has the ability to tell where he is being touched. He is in good spirits - so please everyone keep on praying because God answers all prayers. He is an awesome young man and loves the game of football.... we love our young bulldog and praying for the hand of God to lay upon him and heal him .....