BA vs. BGA

BAEagleFootball

What are your thoughts and opinions?

BA is one of the top teams in the country and should have no problem with a BGA team that has only two senior starters. However, I have not seen any teams execute the passing game as well as BGA this year. If the O Line can give the QB time, BGA can make it a competitive game. If BGA can't slow down the rush, it will be a long night for the Wildcats. I think it is time for BGA to stop making excuses about their small enrollment and show they can compete with the Big Boys.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Run an 8-5-5 defense, and on offense, use snipers liberally.

Best comment I have/will ever read on here.

I think it is time for BGA to stop making excuses about their small enrollment and show they can compete with the Big Boys.

I don't think it is as much as an excuse as it is an honest circumstance. And unless something has drastically changed since I graduated, the BGA administration will never put the emphasis on athletics that MBA, EHS, and BA do. But, with that being said, going 6-4, 8-3, 5-6, and to this point, 4-1 since they have joined DII-AA is pretty impressive. Also, going 2-2 against Baylor, 2-2 against Father Ryan, and 1-0 against McCallie, who have all been staples of Super Prep football since the public/private split, shows that they have been competing just fine with at least the upper section of the middle tier.

Still, move down to DII-A, and they would win state. All the time. In more than just football. Just another example of a lack of common sense in the Williamson County bubble.

I don't think it is as much as an excuse as it is an honest circumstance. And unless something has drastically changed since I graduated, the BGA administration will never put the emphasis on athletics that MBA, EHS, and BA do. But, with that being said, going 6-4, 8-3, 5-6, and to this point, 4-1 since they have joined DII-AA is pretty impressive. Also, going 2-2 against Baylor, 2-2 against Father Ryan, and 1-0 against McCallie, who have all been staples of Super Prep football since the public/private split, shows that they have been competing just fine with at least the upper section of the middle tier.

Still, move down to DII-A, and they would win state. All the time. In more than just football. Just another example of a lack of common sense in the Williamson County bubble.

Good place for snipers would be the cow pasture next to BGA football field where they can disguise themseleves as grazing cattle. Woops....nevermind game at BA.

The BGA baseball program is another reason that BGA will stay DII-AA.

They are competitive year after year now and the BGA baseball coach would never approve stepping down to DII-A.

If BGA ever decides to compete at the lower level their athletic program will suffer. No competition will make the program stale and unattractive to prospective students and families.

Edited by shakinthefat

Good place for snipers would be the cow pasture next to BGA football field where they can disguise themseleves as grazing cattle. Woops....nevermind game at BA.

The BGA baseball program is another reason that BGA will stay DII-AA.

They are competitive year after year now and the BGA baseball coach would never approve stepping down to DII-A.

If BGA ever decides to compete at the lower level their athletic program will suffer. No competition will make the program stale and unattractive to prospective students and families.

I think you can see this happening at ECS right now.

Good reply. the knock on BGA here is similar to the one that Ryan gets as well. There's a perception that if the football team is not consistently successful, somehow the athletic program (and by extension the school itself) is a failure. That completely misses the point of a scholastic sports program. In terms of lessons, I would argue that a team like BGA learned more last year than MUS. No knock on MUS, but their success can't have come as a great shock. BGA's win at MBA, on the other hand, has a lot of good lessons for underdogs of all sorts, as well as those facing long-shots in any any endeavor.

That said, the smart money would be on BA this evening.

Sometimes you just have to win the ugly ones . . . Congrats to BA, but if we play like that on Thursday, Ensworth will win big. I thought that BGA came out ready to play and BA had maybe spent to much time reading their press. I don't know the final count, but I'll bet BA had more penalties in this game than their other games combined. BGA was game, but in the end, BA's speed killed them. BGA's quarterback Beathard was fun to watch. He kept taking shots (I think BA's Woody Baron hit him hard about 12 times alone) and he kept getting up. He's a gamer.

I was struck by the fact that as we left the field, BA was playing "The Boys of Fall" which is becoming a bit of a BA tradition (can you have a tradition after only 3 home games?). I'm pretty sure it was written by Beathard's dad . . . I hope the BGA faithful didn't feel like that was an "in your face" thing . . . we love the song and it does play after every game.

I hope this is a good learning experience for BA . . I suspect that they will be getting some serious "coaching" this week as they prepare for Ensworth.

Sometimes you just have to win the ugly ones . . . Congrats to BA, but if we play like that on Thursday, Ensworth will win big. I thought that BGA came out ready to play and BA had maybe spent to much time reading their press. I don't know the final count, but I'll bet BA had more penalties in this game than their other games combined. BGA was game, but in the end, BA's speed killed them. BGA's quarterback Beathard was fun to watch. He kept taking shots (I think BA's Woody Baron hit him hard about 12 times alone) and he kept getting up. He's a gamer.

I was struck by the fact that as we left the field, BA was playing "The Boys of Fall" which is becoming a bit of a BA tradition (can you have a tradition after only 3 home games?). I'm pretty sure it was written by Beathard's dad . . . I hope the BGA faithful didn't feel like that was an "in your face" thing . . . we love the song and it does play after every game.

I hope this is a good learning experience for BA . . I suspect that they will be getting some serious "coaching" this week as they prepare for Ensworth.

I'm not a big fan of "moral victories," but the MBA announcers kept the score on this one updated. BGA hung in longer than I would have expected. I'm guessing BA just has too many horses to control for a full game. From the BA persepctive, one of the hallmarks of a great team is that they still manage to win when they're not really "on." BA seems to be above the pack, but the pack seems to be awfully even.

Don't worry about the song being an "in your face thing" to the "BGA faithful." You just beat them 49-23 then you say "if we play like that on Thursday, Ensworth will win big." Think about it.

Edited by owlbooster

BGA gave BA a great game (better than the score would indicate in my opinion). Ensworth just beat Smyrna 30-14 and many thought Smyrna was the best team in the mid-south. There is a difference between making an observation that I could argue is factual and rubbing someone's nose in it. If anyone from BGA took offense at my remark I apologize.