What's wrong with Halls?

btgoG

I know someone knows the answer but didn't Burnett's son go to MTSU and quit or transfer to another school? Sounds like he fit Quarles system but didn't or couldn't fit MTSU's system (whatever that is). If you think back, a lot of qb's from Maryville go to college to play ball but the only one that has had any sucess was the Tompson kid and he left S. Carolina and went to UTC I think.

Brent transferred from MTSU to Arizona Western JC with Aaron Douglas. Brent is starting at QB and has decent numbers through the first couple of games. He is a good kid, by the way.

Edited by HTV

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know someone knows the answer but didn't Burnett's son go to MTSU and quit or transfer to another school? Sounds like he fit Quarles system but didn't or couldn't fit MTSU's system (whatever that is). If you think back, a lot of qb's from Maryville go to college to play ball but the only one that has had any sucess was the Tompson kid and he left S. Carolina and went to UTC I think.

I believe Thompson went to UT Martin, if it wasnt him, then they had another qb do this.

Playing behind Dwight Dasher was the problem and falling down the pecking order to third string from another athletic QB coming in this year. Dasher was a very Mobile QB with a cannon for a arm. Brent an excellent pocket passer but in D-1 even the lineman are faster today than most backs from a few years ago so mobility was most likely the problem at MTSU. I agree with HTV Brent great kid with a fabulous arm but wasn't gifted with wheels.

Cade Thompson finished up at UT Martin and posted good numbers.

Well the old saying, Halls has it, will soon be changed to Halls HAD it. I have never seen a fb program go down hil so fast. Maybe it is what Powell faced a few years ago, the talent level aint as good as it used to be and the coaching, well I've complaind about the little feller for 2-3 years, but I aint so sure there aint some unlying problem. I mean why would young respectable coaches like Hassel and Kilgore level and go over the ridge to Central? I dont know about the upcoming talent level from the youth program but they used to win everything and now maybe they have fell off a bit.

Will they win a game? Prolly, but I cant put a finger on a forsure victory just yet!

Kilgore was a big mental problem for the boys, we didn't lose any coachs. Williams should also be gone. These coaches can't teach defense when the defense also has to learn offense. they keep the same players in the whole time til they are worn out. Watching the Powell game on TV, the announcers were commenting on teaching them to tackle.

These kids are talented, as were the kids the last 2 years. Last year's seniors was in the championship game every year in the ball park. So the talent was there.

Look at the kids we lost, that according to our coaches were useless. I saw their names in the paper making the big plays. Burnette, Blakely, Templeton, and the list goes on.

Halls problem is the coaches. period. These kids had more plays when the were Cutters under the real Teddy Williams. Maybe you should let HIM coach the team. They may go back to the championship games then.

Until Halls gets rid of their coaching staff, nothing will change. As you can see it just keeps going down hill further and further.

Well the old saying, Halls has it, will soon be changed to Halls HAD it. I have never seen a fb program go down hil so fast. Maybe it is what Powell faced a few years ago, the talent level aint as good as it used to be and the coaching, well I've complaind about the little feller for 2-3 years, but I aint so sure there aint some unlying problem. I mean why would young respectable coaches like Hassel and Kilgore level and go over the ridge to Central? I dont know about the upcoming talent level from the youth program but they used to win everything and now maybe they have fell off a bit.

Will they win a game? Prolly, but I cant put a finger on a forsure victory just yet!

Kilgore was a big mental problem for the boys, we didn't lose any coachs. Williams should also be gone. These coaches can't teach defense when the defense also has to learn offense. they keep the same players in the whole time til they are worn out. Watching the Powell game on TV, the announcers were commenting on teaching them to tackle.

These kids are talented, as were the kids the last 2 years. Last year's seniors was in the championship game every year in the ball park. So the talent was there.

Look at the kids we lost, that according to our coaches were useless. I saw their names in the paper making the big plays. Burnette, Blakely, Templeton, and the list goes on.

Halls problem is the coaches. period. These kids had more plays when the were Cutters under the real Teddy Williams. Maybe you should let HIM coach the team. They may go back to the championship games then.

Until Halls gets rid of their coaching staff, nothing will change. As you can see it just keeps going down hill further and further.

Except for Burnette - don't really know Templeton that well except he was small at the time, but Blakely caused nothing but problems with the team and kept an attitude. Maybe that is why some say the coaches thought he was useless.

This is just my opinion and mine alone and I am not trying to step on any toes. If you are offended to my comments, I apologize up front.

btgoG -

1. You stated we have a good head coach. He is a good “defensive†coach. The issues start with the head coach. He is the decision maker. IF there is a problem, he should be the one to step up and make it right instead of brushing it under the carpet and blaming it on everything else but the issue at hand.

2. Why do you think the assistants have left to go to greener pastures?

3. You stated if a kid is good enough he will get noticed. Who is going to notice a kid on a team that has a losing record when they could be looking at a well coached team that is winning games. How are they going to get recognized with the only publicity they get is because they are losing? We have a coach who says he does things to get kids name out there for colleges - NOT TRUE! If you want to look back at kids that have gone on to play college ball at any level, it is only by the mouths and work from their parents (which is fine for the parent) but definitely not because Kevin got them noticed.

4. You commented on the Wing T "Thats the tradition, its what the head coach knows best, and its difficut, not impossible to get away from what you know best". If that is what he knows best then he needs to hit the books. I feel its not what the "knows best and knows how to run" its that he don't know how to do anything else. He is too busy cradling Ted Williams and protecting him and his own play calling that his ego will not let him step up to the plate and change it up! You also commented that we have not had an offensive coordinator come in with experience and that you didn't think Kevin could justify a switch. He should have put Coach Hassel in that position or Coach Qualls instead of Ted Williams. It is his responsibility that if that OC is not getting the job done to remove him just as he would a player that is not getting it done on the field. As far as tradition goes, I feel its time for a new tradition!

5. You also commented on Kevin KNOWING HOW TO MOTIVATE THE YOUNG MEN. This could not be farther from the truth. Take a poll from the boys and ask them exactly what he does to motivate them. I bet Powell, Clinton, Webb, Sevier County or Oak Ridge kids could tell you what their coaches do. Look at their faces and tell me differently. He and Ted Williams can't hardly even speak to parents or kids outside the school much less pump up the players. His position as a coach is also a privilage, not a right.

6. As far as the assistants stepping up - its not because they don't try, Kevin does not allow them to over step their boundries when he don't agree with what they are saying. Attitude - It not only has to change with those off the field, but beginning with Kevin. CHANGE THE OFFENSE - PERIOD!!!!

You mentioned the head coach being more involved in the community leagues. Why? The head coach has kids at the youth program. You say it should not be allowed for dads to coach their sons, then he doesn’t need to have input. The best coach to have ever come out of Halls Community Park is Teddy Williams who started coaching his son (The one and only Teddy Williams, not the one that is our OC). Kevin lucked up and got two really good coaches from the community park with Casey Lane and Toby Kilgore. They coached one of the groups that just left Halls for several years and had winning teams, that is till they were turned over to Kevin Julian. Matter of fact, there have been several groups come through the ranks that have all had winning records till they get to Kevin. Other than that, Kevin needs to STOP hiring the midget and super midget coaches and his high school buddies to coach our team. There are youth coaches that are just now starting to help with high school activities because they are wanting a spot on the staff or the board. Is this really how he should pick his board members or coaches? Get some experienced coaches whose goal is to teach the players and win games. Get some strength and agility coaches in there to work them. Leave the youth coaches and the Kevin’s yes men at the community park! There are no more like Lane and Kilgore. Kevin lost two really good coaches because he refused to make changes. Toby was great with the boys and could relate to them, Hassel knew more about football than most people realized. How big of a slap in the face is it to have two of your better coaches to leave you and go to one of your biggest rivals?

There are a hand full of coaches that actually act like they care for a win, care for the players, and COACH the boys. The main ones that come to mind are Coach Qualls (who respects and gets respects from the kids and would make an excellent HEAD coach), Coach Lane, Coach Kirby, and Coach Sexton – they are the ones you see interacting with any of the players.

Lastly – you mentioned for the boys to just go have fun. Varsity football is not a time to just have fun like they did in youth league - its time to win games. These boys have played all their lives to play varsity ball and win games not just go have fun. It can be both but they want the WIN! As far as kids leaving the program. You are not going to have kids WANT to come to play at HHS if they are losing games. THere are kids out there that have extreme talent and if they can get noticed and get their college paid for by getting noticed going to other schools then by all means if the parents can do it then they should. Isn’t that what parents do for their kids, give them the best opportunity in life they can. If that means moving there kid to another school, then so be it. The coach is not going to work for them even if he claims he does.

So, I guess I don't agree with a lot of what you said but I respect your putting it out there. Its time for Kevin to step up and make it right. Lose the ego, stand behind your assistants when they see changes can be made, stop hiring your high school or ball park coaches/buddies (leave the midget and super midget coaches at the community park and stop putting them on staff no matter how much they are making their presence known now) and get some other coaches in there, motivate these kids the right way, teach them what needs to be done, and let them enjoy their high school experience. Make the changes before the parents and community make the changes.

I'm not offended at all.

In fact, I appreciate your response.

I've only lived here for three years, so the perspective I can offer is limited to what I've seen elsewhere.

From a character standpoint, I think Kevin is solid. I've had two sons play for him and they both respect him and bought into him. I personally believe that he has the makeup and experience to a be a great head football coach.

Both of my sons have told me Coach Hassel going to Central was a big loss in their eyes. He is a good coach and a great school-teacher. Thankfully, he is still teaching at Halls, but it has to be tough for him to Teach at Halls and Coach at Central. One of them has also told me that one of the current assistants has given up on the players. I don't care how the season is going, IMO, that's inexcuseable.

My only experience, thus far, with the youth program here in Halls has been with my younger sons, and at their young ages, it seems that the Coaches are all Parents who ensure their sons are either the Pitcher in baseball or the QB in football. I hope this changes as they get older. I will hold out hope in their future coach's objectivity.

Whether it's the head coach, the assistants, the players or some combination of the above, something's got to change for the Red Devils. Getting hammerred week in and week out isn't healthy for ANYONE.

I will say this...

The only thing I know for sure is I haven't seen a championship team yet that runs the Wing-T; and I'm willing to bet I've seen more variety of High School football and better high school teams play, live, than anyone in this community. I've watched Birmingham (Hoover), Alabama; Valdosta, Georgia; Southlake Carroll, Texas, and plenty of other Alabama, Georgia, and Texas teams that would literally wipe the floor with Maryville, Alcoa, or anyone in East Tennessee. I have seen plenty of run-based and option offenses (like the Wing-T) get hammered by teams at the HS level that run pro-style and spread offenses; teams that had no more talent than the Run-Oriented teams they beat, but had a lot more ways to move the ball downfield and score and coaches who knew how to take full advantage of what those style offenses bring to the gridiron; keeping defenses on their toes.

The Wing-T isn't as complex as proponents seem to think it is. It's relatively easy to defend as long as you have a decent D-Line and linebackers who can tackle.

I've already overheard one coach on the sidelines of one of Halls opponents, this year, say these exact words...

"Don't pay any attention to all that motion, Wing-T stuff they're doing. It doesn't work. Just stay focused on the guy who has the ball and tackle him, because you know their going to run it right?"

I'm not sure using 1986 or 1996 as an example of a successful Wing-T really holds much merit as I'm willing to bet we would have won a state championship running the Power-I, the Wishbone, or darn near any offense you choose, with the personnel we had at the time.

I guess I'll know more as my sons continue to go through the system.

I can say this. My sons will play for the school where they live, win or lose; whether they are a Blue-Chip type player, an every day contrubutor, or a bench-warmer.

Thanks again for your perspective.

Edited by btgoG

I'm not offended at all.

In fact, I appreciate your response.

I've only lived here for three years, so the perspective I can offer is limited to what I've seen elsewhere.

From a character standpoint, I think Kevin is solid. I've had two sons play for him and they both respect him and bought into him. I personally believe that he has the makeup and experience to a be a great head football coach.

Both of my sons have told me Coach Hassel going to Central was a big loss in their eyes. He is a good coach and a great school-teacher. Thankfully, he is still teaching at Halls, but it has to be tough for him to Teach at Halls and Coach at Central. One of them has also told me that one of the current assistants has given up on the players. I don't care how the season is going, IMO, that's inexcuseable.

My only experience, thus far, with the youth program here in Halls has been with my younger sons, and at their young ages, it seems that the Coaches are all Parents who ensure their sons are either the Pitcher in baseball or the QB in football. I hope this changes as they get older. I will hold out hope in their future coach's objectivity.

Whether it's the head coach, the assistants, the players or some combination of the above, something's got to change for the Red Devils. Getting hammerred week in and week out isn't healthy for ANYONE.

I will say this...

The only thing I know for sure is I haven't seen a championship team yet that runs the Wing-T; and I'm willing to bet I've seen more variety of High School football and better high school teams play, live, than anyone in this community. I've watched Birmingham (Hoover), Alabama; Valdosta, Georgia; Southlake Carroll, Texas, and plenty of other Alabama, Georgia, and Texas teams that would literally wipe the floor with Maryville, Alcoa, or anyone in East Tennessee. I have seen plenty of run-based and option offenses (like the Wing-T) get hammered by teams at the HS level that run pro-style and spread offenses; teams that had no more talent than the Run-Oriented teams they beat, but had a lot more ways to move the ball downfield and score and coaches who knew how to take full advantage of what those style offenses bring to the gridiron; keeping defenses on their toes.

The Wing-T isn't as complex as proponents seem to think it is. It's relatively easy to defend as long as you have a decent D-Line and linebackers who can tackle.

I've already overheard one coach on the sidelines of one of Halls opponents, this year, say these exact words...

"Don't pay any attention to all that motion, Wing-T stuff they're doing. It doesn't work. Just stay focused on the guy who has the ball and tackle him, because you know their going to run it right?"

I'm not sure using 1986 or 1996 as an example of a successful Wing-T really holds much merit as I'm willing to bet we would have won a state championship running the Power-I, the Wishbone, or darn near any offense you choose, with the personnel we had at the time.

I guess I'll know more as my sons continue to go through the system.

I can say this. My sons will play for the school where they live, win or lose; whether they are a Blue-Chip type player, an every day contrubutor, or a bench-warmer.

Thanks again for your perspective.

Well put. I will say that if you are Webb then the Wing T works. If you are Halls - it does not work. Everyone except for KJ could agree that Halls needs to get rid of the Wing T.

I'm not sure which coach has gave up on the players and I agree - that is inexcusable! These boys are not stupid boys. They know what is going on. They can't expect the boys to get beat down on the field when they aren't fighting for them on the practice field and side lines.

As far as tackling goes, Halls don't practice it. Ask any of the players if they practice REAL tackling drills. I could guarantee that the Maryville, Webb, Powell, etc. teams practice REAL tackling old school drills. Need to go back to some of the basics!

Other teams know exactly what Halls is going to do or should I say not going to do. They know which players to key in on. They know what we are going to run. We have Ted Williams who just pulls a play off the sheet and then repeats one or two and don't pay attention to what is actually going on on the field. Its a joke! Its embarassing to the players most of all, the parents, the community with what is going on.

We agree...get rid of the Wing T. It don't work for this program.

Well put. I will say that if you are Webb then the Wing T works...

Couldn't agree more and if you watched the game Friday night you saw how brutally effective the wing-t offense can be when it is run, executed and play-called correctly against a team with an above average d-line and LBs who can tackle.

These people who don't think the wing-t can win championships are wrong. I understand it's not "sexy" and all that but if it is executed correctly as a unit and the play-calling is done with some knowledge and thought, then it can be very difficult to stop. I've heard coaches say that to stop it all you have to do is key on the guards and they will lead you to the play. If I'm running it against a defense that is using that read then I will be able to exploit it big time.

It's not an offense that is for everybody that's for sure but it can be relentless at the high school level. Webb has spent the past 25 years running it with the same head coach and offensive coordinator so they completely understand the entire philosophy of running it from execution to play-calling.

powersweep,

Are you saying that if we can wait 18-19 more years then we will be like Webb? I aint waiting any longer!

Haha... no :D

I'm just saying that the wing-t is an offense that can work in high school but if you want to run it, you better know what you're doing and commit to the entire philosophy of how it works. There's nothing worse or more ineffective than watching a team run bits and pieces of it... now that will for sure be a disaster and really ugly.