Daniel Boone vs. Sullivan North

Booneman

It isn't a jab at the kids, and looking at how you looked at it, I can understand why. I was speaking of only kids who decided that they would transfer to a county school ONLY because they thought they would be an allstar. I speak from experience Cap. It isn't steam it is something I have seen in person bud. I will admit I am speaking from the county side of the argument and yes, it is a bit one sided. I have seen too many kids go to a county school who then think they will be "the man" simply because they transfered in.

I am also defending the county kids. They work hard and they also have worked for their positions. If a kid was an allstar...he would be playing in the city as a starter. Simply because a kid TRANSFERS because of football because he thinks that a county school is inferior is stupid. You know that Cap. I think you are digging up words that really shouldn't be said. The kids in gray aren't some backwater players who just learned about football in the past couple of years, you know that from last season just like we have learned it from playing kids DEEP from the country.

Don't pick a fight on this bud, post it on the board, post this one on the board. I am only talking about kid who transfer in, say they are from the city, and look at the other kids as not being as good players. Reality check, it takes hard work to earn a position on any team Cap.

And if I didn't, which I believe I did, the first sentence I said was "Aside from moving, a player that moves schools from a city school to a county school is usually one with issues that can not play on any HS team."

I've never dealt with a kid who comes in, is an all-star, and couldn't cut it. The kids playing are not that different. The only difference between 5A and 6A is the number of students, not the quality. You know better than most that it takes hard work for a kid to be good at ANY high school level. You know dang well there are kids playing on the Boone team that would be playing at SH, DB, or TN High, as well as there are kids who are playing on those teams that would be playing on the Boone team. Just some player who comes in and thinks he is going to be great because it is a "county school" is one that has issues Cap. That is my issue, and if you took it the wrong way, so be it bud.

formerblazer, speaking from the perspective of someone who actually knows some of the kids and their families that are now at North; you don't have a clue what you're speaking of.

When cap1 called you out, an apology would have been a much better response. Both of these young men are as far from "one with issues that can not play on any HS team" as any of your kids at Boone. So, whether you meant as an insult or not, it was an insult.

With regard to the game; why wouldn't Boone beat North? They're nearly double the size.

North is a well-coached team that is only lacking (IMO) size enough along the lines to compete with the larger schools. Coach Norris does more with less than any coach in this area.

With all that said I have ties to both schools and typically root for them both. However, slaps at the character of at least two of these young men aren't something I think should be ignored, bud.

Edited by bwm

formerblazer, speaking from the perspective of someone who actually knows some of the kids and their families that are now at North; you don't have a clue what you're speaking of.

When cap1 called you out, an apology would have been a much better response. Both of these young men are as far from "one with issues that can not play on any HS team" as any of your kids at Boone. So, whether you meant as an insult or not, it was an insult.

With regard to the game; why wouldn't Boone beat North? They're nearly double the size.

North is a well-coached team that is only lacking (IMO) size enough along the lines to compete with the larger schools. Coach Norris does more with less than any coach in this area.

With all that said I have ties to both schools and typically root for them both. However, slaps at the character of at least two of these young men aren't something I think should be ignored, bud.

Well then I stand corrected. I was speaking to Cap from my experience. Take it for what it is and get insulted or not, that is your business, but you have an apology....and again I stated "aside from kids moving."

In regards to size, that doesn't mean anything and you know it. The staff at North does a great job and I am sure they are preparing well. In the past 4 or 5 years, North has had Boone's number more than Boone beating North. The season Boone was slated to win in the IMAC was the year that Boone lost 2 games...one of them was North. Boone should be doing well with numbers but just because you have a larger school doesn't always mean you have a lot of people going out for sports. SH the past 10 years is a good example of that. We all went to school and there were always kids who should have been playing but didn't....but then again there is a reason those kids aren't playing either. I would probably say per ratio size there is more interest with the North for going out for football than population than Boone, but Coach Jenkins has done a tremendous job making the numbers 35 to 60+ than when I was playing there.

Take Hampton a few years ago. Aside from DB and South, I guarantee they could have whipped every single program in East TN. Size of school is an argument boggles me. Crockett has more kids on record than Boone, but Boone has always dominated the series. I dunno bud.

Can I take this topic in a bit different direction? I live in Washington County. My Neighbor is in Carter County. We are seperated by a maybe 50-100 yds. I am also in the city. I work in Gray and the wife works in Kingsport. The grandparents who keep the boy also live in Kingsport. We have a long time before high school (he's 2). However, I am curious. Being in city will he have to go to Science Hill? If he went to a county school would we have to pay tuition. If he went to a different county school we would have to pay tuition, right? Even though I'm pretty sure Carter Co. (Happy Valley) buses run past our house. I guess to put it in perspective. You are talking about Sullivan Co. schools. As long as you are in the county can you pick the school or do you pay outside of certain zones? Yes, very new to all this and don't grasp it. I had some help from BTM. Thanks by the way. I guess I just am to slow to understand.

It isn't a jab at the kids, and looking at how you looked at it, I can understand why. I was speaking of only kids who decided that they would transfer to a county school ONLY because they thought they would be an allstar. I speak from experience Cap. It isn't steam it is something I have seen in person bud. I will admit I am speaking from the county side of the argument and yes, it is a bit one sided. I have seen too many kids go to a county school who then think they will be "the man" simply because they transfered in.

I am also defending the county kids. They work hard and they also have worked for their positions. If a kid was an allstar...he would be playing in the city as a starter. Simply because a kid TRANSFERS because of football because he thinks that a county school is inferior is stupid. You know that Cap. I think you are digging up words that really shouldn't be said. The kids in gray aren't some backwater players who just learned about football in the past couple of years, you know that from last season just like we have learned it from playing kids DEEP from the country.

Don't pick a fight on this bud, post it on the board, post this one on the board. I am only talking about kid who transfer in, say they are from the city, and look at the other kids as not being as good players. Reality check, it takes hard work to earn a position on any team Cap.

And if I didn't, which I believe I did, the first sentence I said was "Aside from moving, a player that moves schools from a city school to a county school is usually one with issues that can not play on any HS team."

I've never dealt with a kid who comes in, is an all-star, and couldn't cut it. The kids playing are not that different. The only difference between 5A and 6A is the number of students, not the quality. You know better than most that it takes hard work for a kid to be good at ANY high school level. You know dang well there are kids playing on the Boone team that would be playing at SH, DB, or TN High, as well as there are kids who are playing on those teams that would be playing on the Boone team. Just some player who comes in and thinks he is going to be great because it is a "county school" is one that has issues Cap. That is my issue, and if you took it the wrong way, so be it bud.

I’m not going to spend a lot of time on this because this is not the subject of this thread. But I will say that my problem with what you said isn’t really WHAT you said… it’s how you said it… so “a matter of fact†like. You are trying to generalize a situation that could have WAY to many variables to generalize. So many things come into play with a kid that has left the city for the county and vise versa. And as a rule of thumb, City schools generally have MORE (no necessarily better) talent than County schools. When I say talent I’m not talking about the coachables … I’m talking about the God given. And lets face it… it usually has A LOT to do with the demographics of the area that the school covers. I’m not trying to pick a fight… I just personally know at least a couple of people that post on here that where in the very situation you spoke of…and your theory was far from being the case in their situations.

Well IMO if #10 could just concentrate on playing just QB he would be less tired and playing both QB's on the def. side of the ball is a little much. Play #33 at corner and #7 at saftey. Our LB will get better as the year goes on. On the Off. side #9 & #14 touched the ball a combined 5 times. They really need to find ways to get them involved more, #14 on an end around with his speed, and #9 has a good set of hands ( did anyone see the catch vs. DB). Very few points being scored in the 2nd half this year is a problem that i hope we can work out. Our kicker is doing pretty good on FG's but we are struggling on PAT's. seems to be waiting till the ball is placed down b-4 he starts moving forward to kick. That being said i have watched these kids for the better part of 10-12 years and they will not quit, i think they will turn it around. Hope for a safe game on both sidelines this week, and GO BLAZERS.

• Upvote 1

Well IMO if #10 could just concentrate on playing just QB he would be less tired and playing both QB's on the def. side of the ball is a little much. Play #33 at corner and #7 at saftey. Our LB will get better as the year goes on. On the Off. side #9 & #14 touched the ball a combined 5 times. They really need to find ways to get them involved more, #14 on an end around with his speed, and #9 has a good set of hands ( did anyone see the catch vs. DB). Very few points being scored in the 2nd half this year is a problem that i hope we can work out. Our kicker is doing pretty good on FG's but we are struggling on PAT's. seems to be waiting till the ball is placed down b-4 he starts moving forward to kick. That being said i have watched these kids for the better part of 10-12 years and they will not quit, i think they will turn it around. Hope for a safe game on both sidelines this week, and GO BLAZERS.

The Coach did have #7 at safety back in scrimmages and he just has not had enough experience there yet, but I thought he has been getting to the ball better and improving every game when he has played. I agree with getting the ball more in the hands of #9,#14,#20, and #5, these guys have speed and ability to move the ball. I think #23 is a good RB, but when he carries (mostly up the middle) every game twice as much or more than these other guys than Boone has less chance getting those 5-10 yard runs or break a long run when you don't get the ball outside.

• Upvote 1

I’m not going to spend a lot of time on this because this is not the subject of this thread. But I will say that my problem with what you said isn’t really WHAT you said… it’s how you said it… so “a matter of fact†like. You are trying to generalize a situation that could have WAY to many variables to generalize. So many things come into play with a kid that has left the city for the county and vise versa. And as a rule of thumb, City schools generally have MORE (no necessarily better) talent than County schools. When I say talent I’m not talking about the coachables … I’m talking about the God given. And lets face it… it usually has A LOT to do with the demographics of the area that the school covers. I’m not trying to pick a fight… I just personally know at least a couple of people that post on here that where in the very situation you spoke of…and your theory was far from being the case in their situations.

Well if the few people who post on here and it rubbed them the wrong way...my bad... but I also see things differently on the other side of the fence Cap.

I really like Coach Jenkins, but I am confused why he went away from the option. I felt like I have been watching a Johnny Majors coached games against South and DB. Run up the midde two plays and throw a pass, very readable offense. I have said it before, Boone has speed in the back field and they need to get them on the outside with pitches and screens. I would like to know Coach Jenkins answer to these concerns.

I believe alot of us would like to know.

Well if the few people who post on here and it rubbed them the wrong way...my bad... but I also see things differently on the other side of the fence Cap.

Takes a good man to apologize… especially when he doesn’t think he’s wrong. :thumb: I think you obviously have good reason behind your stand on this issue… I just see it a little differently. I say we agree to disagree and move on. Good luck to your boys… even though I picked against them this week. I’ve been trying to chew alot of gum here lately… but I still can’t seem to get that bad taste out of my mouth from 09’. :blush: You know how it is.

I think Boone has this game. How are the boys spirits? A third loss in a row would be a killer IMO. However the season is still young and there is alot left to play for. I hope they raise the intensity level. This is a good team still. Sometimes it seems they are just going through the motions late in the game wheter up or not. Last year they just kept grinding. I've been to 3 games this year, 2 being wins, but they just don't seem on the same intensity level through out the game as last year.

Takes a good man to apologize… especially when he doesn’t think he’s wrong. :thumb: I think you obviously have good reason behind your stand on this issue… I just see it a little differently. I say we agree to disagree and move on. Good luck to your boys… even though I picked against them this week. I’ve been trying to chew alot of gum here lately… but I still can’t seem to get that bad taste out of my mouth from 09’. :blush: You know how it is.

I can deal with that. And I know not what you are speaking of Cap....things taste just fine from 09 over here. Besides...my insider says that TN High should really raise some eyebrows tonight.