occhs football

ocucsf

Well wasn't coach goltra here the 0-10 season teaching at Jr high then coaching at oc, next year taught at oc went 6-4? Even the 0-10 year they put up some points on good teams. My question is does it take these kids a good year to not just learn but translate your scheme onto the field? I mean if it does aren't they ahead of the game so to speak compared to that season? ??

That's a whole other issue. Seems to me no assistants stay long enough for the kids to learn the schemes, so they are always learning something new. Tell me there's a good chance he will be back next year and I'll concede your point.

While I have been reading these posts and am very sad by the lack of wins at OC, I am very happy to see the community and the desire to win. As Defensive Coordinator last year, I fell in love with Obion County and would never have left if it were not for family circumstances. It kills me to see the hard work and dedication of the players and the coaching staff not paying off in the win column as they deserve. In my one year at Obion County, I was blessed to be a part of a program that had the hardest working players and coaches I have ever been a part of in my 9 years of coaching at the high school and college level.

I believe the lack of success at Obion has more to do with the coaching turnover than anything else. Coach Jackson is the best football coach I have ever known. He understands the game and knows how to run a program. Through no fault of his own, he has had to go through 6 defensive coordinators in 3 years, myself included in that number. It is near impossible to establish a football program on the defensive side of the ball when you are switching defenses so much. Coach Jackson's offense has shown what can happen when there is an established coaching staff on that side of the ball and you run the same offensive philosophy every year. Once OC gets the right guy as DC and ends the DC carousel the Rebels will be a playoff team year after year.

Obion County has had the talent to compete with every team they have been on the field with this season, with maybe the exception of Cape Central. After watching just several games, however, it was evident they wouldn't be able to stop anyone's offense. They are making average qbs and average rbs look like the next coming. The kid rushed for 300 yards plus the other night without being touched more than a few times before he got to the third level. That, my friends, has nothing to do with athletic ability and a lot to do with defensive scheme. I read with interest the coach's comments following the game where he basically defended the defense. To me, you can't defend giving up an average of 30-plus ppg when you a lot of your best athletes playing one way on defense. If you score 30 you ought to win. All this has nothing to do with jr highs, etc and a lot to do with getting out of that 3-4 read which by the way leaves a smallish corner in a man on every play. IT JUST ISN'T WORKING!

I will agree that the defensive woes are not related to jr. highs. I realize a new scheme is not ingrained overnight, but when you are beat by the same basic play every time it is run, by multiple teams, you have to question your scheme. I'll leave no doubt that I am not a fan of the 3-4 against the offenses that OC will see most every Friday night. Now, these coaches get paid (albeit maybe not that well) and I really don't question that they are good coaches and know what they are doing. But I do question why there is no adjustment being made to stop the bleeding of this gaping wound I would consider to be a simple crossbuck. Against a primarily run team, gap control would be more important to me than penetration. If you can't stop the run, you darn well better be able to slow it down, and we can't. And you are right in that we have good corners, but they are undersized. I believe they are the right kids to have there, but you have to be able to provide some help. Our linebackers aren't covering the underneath routes on backs coming out of the backfield. The safety is busy defending the run on most every play. Now I wouldn't condone replacing the D-coordinator by any means, but I would like to see him try a 4-3 scheme instead. I think the right coaches are in place and should be able to establish a strong program if they stay in place. I will support the Rebels regardless of who coaches or what the win-loss column reads. In the words of one of my favorite movies, "Improvise, adapt and overcome"!!!

Okay, yall really do not know what the problem is. Its not scheme at all, by the way people Obion does not play a 3-4, sometimes players make mistakes and it has to be corrected and most of the time its not during the game. please do not act like coaches on here when yall are most certainly not one. everyone has opinions but dont show your ignorance all the time. leave the coaching to the coaches.

Don't think I've showed up at there practices trying to coach, and yes people have there opinions and I have mine even if they are ignorant I have a right to express them on any public forums I chose. And trust me scheme is not the issue at all I know that, I know Exactly what the problem is. That is more Then enough that needs to be Said on here, be more than happy to discuss This off of here since I am very accessible and always at the games! Good luck tonight. GO REBELS!!!!

Okay, yall really do not know what the problem is. Its not scheme at all, by the way people Obion does not play a 3-4, sometimes players make mistakes and it has to be corrected and most of the time its not during the game. please do not act like coaches on here when yall are most certainly not one. everyone has opinions but dont show your ignorance all the time. leave the coaching to the coaches.

Please enlighten us. If it's not scheme, then what is it? And if it is not a 3-4 then tell us what it is, oh brilliant one. It really doesn't matter anyway cuz whatever it is still don't work.

While I have been reading these posts and am very sad by the lack of wins at OC, I am very happy to see the community and the desire to win. As Defensive Coordinator last year, I fell in love with Obion County and would never have left if it were not for family circumstances. It kills me to see the hard work and dedication of the players and the coaching staff not paying off in the win column as they deserve. In my one year at Obion County, I was blessed to be a part of a program that had the hardest working players and coaches I have ever been a part of in my 9 years of coaching at the high school and college level.

I believe the lack of success at Obion has more to do with the coaching turnover than anything else. Coach Jackson is the best football coach I have ever known. He understands the game and knows how to run a program. Through no fault of his own, he has had to go through 6 defensive coordinators in 3 years, myself included in that number. It is near impossible to establish a football program on the defensive side of the ball when you are switching defenses so much. Coach Jackson's offense has shown what can happen when there is an established coaching staff on that side of the ball and you run the same offensive philosophy every year. Once OC gets the right guy as DC and ends the DC carousel the Rebels will be a playoff team year after year.

Coach, you are so right, coaching turnover has been the MAJOR PROBLEM at OC. Coach Jackson has come in and done an AMAZING job of turning the attitude around at OC. They EXPECT to win now. And I think that will continue, and the longer he and his staff are here, the better that will get. I have covered OC for 20 years, and seen many coaches in that time, good coaches, struggle in a short tenure, and then they are gone. Some kids that have played 4 years at OC have had 3 different coaches. That WILL not bring success. I am a DIE HARD OC fan, and I want much success for the team. That starts with getting a GOOD coach, as we have now with Coach Jackson,and his staff, and KEEPING THEM here, and letting them build a program. To me, that has been the major problem with OC Football, and I hope that is in the past. You did a great job here, and we wish you nothing but the best in the future, and thanks for your comments.