What a joke

crazy_cowboy89

Gentlemen, agreed. Excellent points by several of you. I do believe that you're missing the "big picture" here. I've said it before, by Brighton playing some poor little single 'A' school, only solidifies the fact that the "best" football in this state in played in Middle TN. In particular, Rutherford Co., but let me remind you that there are also other schools in the mid-state that play pretty good football too. All that to say, I know of 2 District 8 teams that scheduled multiple Rutherford Co. teams. Lincoln Co.-Blackman, Riverdale, and Oakland. Tullahoma-Blackman, Siegel and I think Riverdale for a pre-season scrimmage, maybe??? It'll be a sad day if the TSSAA doesn't correct the obvious mistakes to get this thing back on track. Seems the reason I enjoy watching High School football is because it's football in it's most competitive form. I hope it stays that way.

LOL i know what you mean, but im just saying that if you cant beat the good teams on your schedule, you are not going to win a state championship either.

Believe me I agree. If you have a state-championship caliber program, you should play teams that are relative to your talent. This system is a crock to me honestly and will stick by that until something changes.

Believe me I agree. If you have a state-championship caliber program, you should play teams that are relative to your talent. This system is a crock to me honestly and will stick by that until something changes.

I complained last season about Brighton being a great example of why the new playoff plans are terrible.

Their schedule last season:

Brighton (6A) (District 13) (8-2)

-----------------------------------------------------

Week 0) Raleigh Egypt (5A) (1-9) 48-12

Week 1) Bartlett (5A) (4-6) 21-14

Week 2) Cordova (6A) (6-4) 32-34

Week 3) Covington (4A) (2-8) 14-7

Week 4) Jackson Northside (5A) (7-3) 32-21

Week 5) MAHS (1A) (1-6) 63-8

Week 6) Munford (5A) (3-7) 35-41

Week 7) Carver (3A) (0-10) 45-0

Week 8) Hardin County (5A) (8-2) 34-14

Week 10) Dyer County (5A) (2-8) 41-0

Brighton made the 6A playoffs last year with a record of (0-1) vs 6A teams!!!!

They played a 4A team, a 3A team and a 1A team.

Their schedule this year is same as last year of course. They beat Cordova this year 35-21 so they will qualify as a 6A playoff team with a (1-0) 6A record.

If I were a Lavergne or White Co or a Shelbyville where I may not finish 1 or 2 in my district I would schedule 1A and 2A teams out of district, maybe even play them both years at my place and split the gate and even concessions each year if my stadium seats a lot more than theirs does, and make sure I get as many wins as I can. If Lavergne could win 5 out of district games next year and squeak out one district win they could be in the running for the post-season. If they could somehow go 2-3 in district they could be a shoo-in. Imagine a Smyrna or a Blackman next year going 3-2 in district with a couple of tough losses and losing two out of district to a Brentwood or an Ensworth and finishing 6-4 to a Lavergne's 7-3. It could happen and would if I was the AD at Lavergne. I would be calling MTCS, Eagleville, Cascade, Red Boiling Springs and any other 1A team that wants to play me. I would even offer to pay for the gas for their team bus!

This has created such a mess. When the schedules were made it was said that non-district games wouldn't carry any weight in determining playoff teams. Then it hit the fan when teams get in with a better overall record than teams that played tougher schedules. So we get the bigger problem this year with teams on the lower tier of each classification who scheduled up for a more competitive game getting punished for trying to make their team more prepared for playoffs not getting in for losing to those higher tier teams. I look for Gallatin to drop Brentwood from the schedule next season and maybe even offer money for a victory opponent with it being like suggested a 2 time home game with a larger gate split than the customary 50-50 that is in place right now.

What is the solution?

I mean you guys in the middle have been saying this is a problem, because you are being cheated based on your tough schedules. Some teams do not have close competition.

Brighton is 6A, but the smallest 6A in the state(I've been told). Also, they are somewhat rural, probably a good 45min drive to the edge of the Memphis metro and at least 45-60min to Jackson. Some of these teams are scheduled out of the past, but who would want to play them from Memphis and drive an hour, when there are other competitive teams closer.

Who will be the one to determine who is a good opponent?

Are we going to have a poll? Or maybe we just go on the past? Or maybe we could base it on best uniform? I mean how do you know your district is competitve when they play the same teams? I mean just because they have a past doesn't mean they're competitive "this year" or for that matter they're competition either. Granted playing lower division teams to purposely fluff your schedule should be controlled, but how?

The real problem was created by the new classifications. Trying to satisfy one group, created this problem for others. Some districts only have 1 or 2 of classification. What do they do? Travel all over the state to find their competition? Who pays for that? How do you penalize them for playing their district? Why are they in that district?

My solution:

Redistrict with only 1 classification, break up some districts and give equal travel to all districts.

Problem created:

Traditional or nearby opponents don't play "in" district. Some teams traveling further than ever...then cost(big potentially).

Edited by onefortheteam

Or having to go out of state or an extended road game...........

It would not stun me to see the start of some "money games"- giving lesser teams a certain amount of the cut so they can play at a top level program and take a beating for one game. This laugher of a playoff system is going to force that to happen if things dont change

Going out of state use to be something a top program did once every ten years or so. Now look for those top programs to travel out of state multiple times a year. Isn't this something the playoff system was supposed to take care of? Traveling great distamces to play football. Old region system had its flaws but it worked the best for everyone. Go back to the region system and let the top four teams get in. The current system is horrible with higher seeds traveling to lower seeds and big time match ups happening in the first round. Off the soap box now....

Gentlemen, agreed. Excellent points by several of you. I do believe that you're missing the "big picture" here. I've said it before, by Brighton playing some poor little single 'A' school, only solidifies the fact that the "best" football in this state in played in Middle TN. In particular, Rutherford Co., but let me remind you that there are also other schools in the mid-state that play pretty good football too. All that to say, I know of 2 District 8 teams that scheduled multiple Rutherford Co. teams. Lincoln Co.-Blackman, Riverdale, and Oakland. Tullahoma-Blackman, Siegel and I think Riverdale for a pre-season scrimmage, maybe??? It'll be a sad day if the TSSAA doesn't correct the obvious mistakes to get this thing back on track. Seems the reason I enjoy watching High School football is because it's football in it's most competitive form. I hope it stays that way.

Brentwood High School's Out of District Schedule:

Lavergne - 6AAA, Region 7,

Oakland - 6AAA, Region 7, Ranked in Top 5 - Undefeated

Smyrna - 6AAA, Region 7, Ranked in Top 5 -1 Loss

Blackman - 6AAA, Region 7, Don't know where they're ranked but good - 1 loss

Gallatin - 5 AAA, Ranked in Top 10 - Not as bad as we made them look

I think playing a 1A school is reprehensible and should not even be allowed but I think the current system causes it to happen. I wonder if there would be a way to require you to place atleast 3 or 4 of your non-district games against opponents in your classification or only 1 below or above.

Brentwood High School's Out of District Schedule:

Lavergne - 6AAA, Region 7,

Oakland - 6AAA, Region 7, Ranked in Top 5 - Undefeated

Smyrna - 6AAA, Region 7, Ranked in Top 5 -1 Loss

Blackman - 6AAA, Region 7, Don't know where they're ranked but good - 1 loss

Gallatin - 5 AAA, Ranked in Top 10 - Not as bad as we made them look

I think playing a 1A school is reprehensible and should not even be allowed but I think the current system causes it to happen. I wonder if there would be a way to require you to place atleast 3 or 4 of your non-district games against opponents in your classification or only 1 below or above.

Just curious. What is the drive time to these games for Brentwood? Also, How many years have these teams been scheduled?