What a joke

crazy_cowboy89

Just curious. What is the drive time to these games for Brentwood? Also, How many years have these teams been scheduled?

Good questions. Most are within 45 minutes. We have been playing Smyrna, Gallatin, Lavergne, & Blackman for years. Oakland will probably go away with this contract as I think Coach McDaniel and Coach Crawford are probably tired of playing each other and keeping the family peace. I would hope maybe we would play pick up Riverdale to replace them.

Good questions. Most are within 45 minutes. We have been playing Smyrna, Gallatin, Lavergne, & Blackman for years. Oakland will probably go away with this contract as I think Coach McDaniel and Coach Crawford are probably tired of playing each other and keeping the family peace. I would hope maybe we would play pick up Riverdale to replace them.

I think those are important facts.

1) This is who they traditionally play, program up or down. Maybe not necessarily by design. I mean that area has exploded, these programs are fed by growth in these schools. The growth probably parallels the competitveness as well.

2) These options are close. What if they had to travel an hour or more one way?

As far as a 6A playing 1A, there has to be a story behind that.

Edited by onefortheteam

If I were a Lavergne or White Co or a Shelbyville where I may not finish 1 or 2 in my district I would schedule 1A and 2A teams out of district, maybe even play them both years at my place and split the gate and even concessions each year if my stadium seats a lot more than theirs does, and make sure I get as many wins as I can. If Lavergne could win 5 out of district games next year and squeak out one district win they could be in the running for the post-season. If they could somehow go 2-3 in district they could be a shoo-in. Imagine a Smyrna or a Blackman next year going 3-2 in district with a couple of tough losses and losing two out of district to a Brentwood or an Ensworth and finishing 6-4 to a Lavergne's 7-3. It could happen and would if I was the AD at Lavergne. I would be calling MTCS, Eagleville, Cascade, Red Boiling Springs and any other 1A team that wants to play me. I would even offer to pay for the gas for their team bus!

Trust me, they've figured it out.

What is the solution?

I mean you guys in the middle have been saying this is a problem, because you are being cheated based on your tough schedules. Some teams do not have close competition.

Brighton is 6A, but the smallest 6A in the state(I've been told). Also, they are somewhat rural, probably a good 45min drive to the edge of the Memphis metro and at least 45-60min to Jackson. Some of these teams are scheduled out of the past, but who would want to play them from Memphis and drive an hour, when there are other competitive teams closer.

Who will be the one to determine who is a good opponent?

Are we going to have a poll? Or maybe we just go on the past? Or maybe we could base it on best uniform? I mean how do you know your district is competitve when they play the same teams? I mean just because they have a past doesn't mean they're competitive "this year" or for that matter they're competition either. Granted playing lower division teams to purposely fluff your schedule should be controlled, but how?

The real problem was created by the new classifications. Trying to satisfy one group, created this problem for others. Some districts only have 1 or 2 of classification. What do they do? Travel all over the state to find their competition? Who pays for that? How do you penalize them for playing their district? Why are they in that district?

My solution:

Redistrict with only 1 classification, break up some districts and give equal travel to all districts.

Problem created:

Traditional or nearby opponents don't play "in" district. Some teams traveling further than ever...then cost(big potentially).

The solution is, your record against same class or higher (or equivalent if playing out of state competition) should count. Or a BCS type format

Edited by randymc

Trust me, they've figured it out.

The solution is, your record against same class or higher (or equivalent if playing out of state competition) should count. Or a BCS type format

Brighton is the only 6a team in the district. So how can you punish them for not playing 6a teams? On top of that games are hard to find for them due to location. MAHS happened to be open two years ago so they signed a contract. That is how lots of smaller schools make money. Manassas did it for years. I don't see how its a joke. The starters came out at halftime. Big deal. Playoffs were not in consideration for playing this game, it was just used to have 10 games on the schedule.

If I were a Lavergne or White Co or a Shelbyville where I may not finish 1 or 2 in my district I would schedule 1A and 2A teams out of district, maybe even play them both years at my place and split the gate and even concessions each year if my stadium seats a lot more than theirs does, and make sure I get as many wins as I can. If Lavergne could win 5 out of district games next year and squeak out one district win they could be in the running for the post-season. If they could somehow go 2-3 in district they could be a shoo-in. Imagine a Smyrna or a Blackman next year going 3-2 in district with a couple of tough losses and losing two out of district to a Brentwood or an Ensworth and finishing 6-4 to a Lavergne's 7-3. It could happen and would if I was the AD at Lavergne. I would be calling MTCS, Eagleville, Cascade, Red Boiling Springs and any other 1A team that wants to play me. I would even offer to pay for the gas for their team bus!

Other than Cannon County who is 3-a or 4-a and maybe Spring Hill (4-a?) I don't see why LaVergne would schedule those other teams, especially Red Boiling Springs. A game vs. nearby Cannon County would be a good draw geographically as would a game vs. Ezell-Harding. In the past handful of years, LaVergne has wins over Hendersonville, Franklin County (twice), Centennial (twice), Columbia (twice) and @ Cookeville (playoffs). Your Red Boiling Springs comment is out of line.

Gentlemen, agreed. Excellent points by several of you. I do believe that you're missing the "big picture" here. I've said it before, by Brighton playing some poor little single 'A' school, only solidifies the fact that the "best" football in this state in played in Middle TN. In particular, Rutherford Co., but let me remind you that there are also other schools in the mid-state that play pretty good football too. All that to say, I know of 2 District 8 teams that scheduled multiple Rutherford Co. teams. Lincoln Co.-Blackman, Riverdale, and Oakland. Tullahoma-Blackman, Siegel and I think Riverdale for a pre-season scrimmage, maybe??? It'll be a sad day if the TSSAA doesn't correct the obvious mistakes to get this thing back on track. Seems the reason I enjoy watching High School football is because it's football in it's most competitive form. I hope it stays that way.

That is true, Tullahoma got punished last year for it schedule. Lincoln Co just has an absolute brutal schedule.

The solution is beat teams like Brighton in the playoffs. Win the Golden Ball. It is pitiful to see a 6A team play a 1A team. Should it count? Absolutely not. But it does. Win the game if and when you play them then all of the problems are solved. Not every team that deserves it will make it to the playoffs. No system is perfect. All you can do is play your schedule. The TSSAA is not about the competition, but about the gate. So in there eyes everything is just fine. :thumb:

Last year's Smyrna team was 5-5 and missed the playoffs. Some say they got screwed because some teams with lossing records got in. I say if we had won one of those games then the argument goes away. You hardly ever feel you got screwed if you take care of business. Secondly if your a top program why would you not schedule top programs to play. Yes I understand that other teams are making it in on lesser competition. But if you can't beat the upper level teams during the regular season then how do you expect to beat them in the playoffs.

I can clear up this whole thread. Crazy Cowboy or whoever started this did not do his research. I spoke to an assistant principal at Brighton today who helped make the schedules. He said that originally Brighton and Collierville had agreed to play. The contracts were signed and everything was a go. Then the TSSAA realigned the districts, forcing Collierville to play a district game that night. So Brighton only had nine games late in the scheduling period. MAHS called Brighton wanting to play!!! The coach said they were trying to start a new program and they needed the money and the experience, so the teams agreed to play. Brighton was trying to schedule a 6A opponent. As a matter a fact a school quite larger than themselves. So to avoid having nine games, Brighton agreed to play MAHS. SO before everyone on here bashes someone, do your homework first. I have the schools phone number and the name of the administrator if you would like to call verify this story.

Also, the TSSAA put Brighton in an all 5A district. They were 6A by one student. TSSAA should have allowed them to play in 5A or moved them into the district with Millington, Arlington, Cordova, etc. Brighton is the only 6A school west of Jackson not in Shelby County.

Brighton is the only 6a team in the district. So how can you punish them for not playing 6a teams? On top of that games are hard to find for them due to location. MAHS happened to be open two years ago so they signed a contract. That is how lots of smaller schools make money. Manassas did it for years. I don't see how its a joke. The starters came out at halftime. Big deal. Playoffs were not in consideration for playing this game, it was just used to have 10 games on the schedule.

The problem is when NON-District Games began to be used for playoff consideration. You CAN NOT DO THAT in High School Sports, period! When only district games count, then it does not matter who you play out of district, 1A or 6A or out of state, because no one else cares who you play either. But counting only district games with as many classifications and watered down districts caused (3-7) and (2-8) teams to make the playoffs so there was a big uproar made about that. But that was far more fair than the current system because you knew what you had to do to get in, finish 1st or 2nd in your district and you hosted in week 11, finish 3rd or 4th in your district you hit the road. How is it fair that some districts have more teams in them than others or that a Lavergne is in district with 5 other 6A teams and a Brighton is in a district with no other 6A teams? It can never be totally fair. But implementing a system where out of district games count is a serious mistake with such a wide range in school sizes and quality of teams.