Grins and Chuckles

owlbooster

I can guarantee you South Panola would play either Alcoa or Maryville IF they will agree to a home and home (SP has a nice facility...no concerns there). They played Colquitt County, GA this year for the competition with no return game but rarely will they travel without a return game. They have a heck of a time trying to get anyone to play them so the schedule is always a challenge. I still wish they'd told Rush Propst no b/c he won't return the game and would only agree to play at Hoover when he was coaching there. Kudos, by the way, to both CBHS and MUS who have had home and home series with South Panola.

Tell either coach to call SP coach Lance Pogue about next year. They have 2 spots coming open early in the year. I can assure you that a guarantee of a home and home series would nail either matchup down in a heartbeat. They simply don't turn down a competitive home and home against a good non-district opponent.

Don't hold your breath. As I jokingly said in a post earlier in the season, "home and home" to Alcoa usually means "ya'll come up here 2 years in a row."

Edited by owlbooster

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, you can't reason with them. Some of them think nobody should be mentioned in the same breath with them. As I have never seen them play, I have refrained from making any predictions of the outcome of a matchup, but those who saw both teams play last year almost unanimously felt MUS was better. Certainly the pollsters did. This year, no doubt Alcoa is the better team, probably by a large margin, and probably is the best team overall in TN. But you won't ever hear any of them admitting to another team possibly being better until they actually lose a game (Maryville, since they don't play any other competitive teams currently) and then I suspect they'll find a way to argue out of that too, but maybe they'll just pick up Maryville's banner, since they are neighbors.

They may be bratty but they're not stupid or boring, just totally hung up on themselves. And some are quite paranoid - everybody's out to get Alcoa.

Speaking of "not going over there," did you read at the start of the season about the unfortunate guy, who had moved here from Ohio, that "made a wrong turn" onto the "Who can compete with Alcoa in 3A" thread site and dared criticize them? Coach T had to close down the thread things got so uncivil. They're good at that. They even took some gratuitous snipes at MUS on that thread (posts #175,181,184). They will NEVER get over last year's "snub" of being #2 in the opinion of the polls and most fans. And they probably will continue to show their "behinds" over it.

Boy do I remember Owl, lol. That was a heck of a thread. You are right. You cannot talk to them about the possibility that there is something better than what they percieve as the greatest show on earth as far as h.s. football. I've never seen a more self absorbed group of people in my life except for a handful of Cincinnati area h.s. fans, but even they realize that there are teams out there that can play with them, and beat them. Because they actually play them. You get that "you ain't from around here are ya boy?" treatment from the getgo. Pretty pathetic that a group feels that if you aren't in their little circle of fans/alumni, you have no buisness posting....unless you want to shower praise/stroke the ego for them(define forum?). I guess that's to be expected when you don't get out of your back yard and play better competition. Some very prideful, narrow minded people, aka "big fish in a little pond", lol.

I wonder how long a thread would last over on DI if I started one about a DII team and encouraged people to bad mouth them ?

Answer to your question: As long as some of your BC pals have a breath of life in them. BTW, they need no encouragement. They do it reflexively, like scratching an itch.

Nobody on DII is "encouraging people to bad mouth" any team. I'm still waiting for you to list a single post that "badmouthed" the Alcoa team. That's your paranoia talking. To opine that Alcoa might not be the best team in TN, that there are a few teams that could beat them, is not "badmouthing" in the real world outside of BC. There are always going to be some absurd posts like the one that listed 12 teams that would beat Alcoa. You seem to have overlooked the fact that this was on a 3A/4A thread. I wouldn't be surprised if that poster worded it that way just to provoke your base. It worked.

CoachT is an open public forum of ideas and opinions. So happens that a lot of people have the same opinion about certain things that you don't like. For example, the above post by jlmac4 about the inarguable certainty of some people that BC is the center of the HS football universe and Alcoa is the zenith. Or, as another like-minded poster crudely said, "That your "excrement" doesn't stink." You may not like that, but there are a lot of people that see it that way, far more than actually post it, lest they be targeted for "stalking"....

Edited by owlbooster

For example, the above post by jlmac4 about the inarguable certainty of some people that BC is the center of the HS football universe and Alcoa is the zenith. Or, as another like-minded poster crudely said, "That your "excrement" doesn't stink." You may not like that, but there are a lot of people that see it that way, far more than actually post it, lest they be targeted for "stalking"....

Na ... this isn't bad mouthing at all .... take what you just said and apply it right back to most DII teams .

Na ... this isn't bad mouthing at all .... take what you just said and apply it right back to most DII teams .

I don't condone anybody's bad behavior. It happens on all sides and it never should be used to paint an entire group of posters nor justify the bad behavior of others. But there appears to be a big disparity between the tactics and tone of the "opposing" sides. For example, NOBODY on any "side" is "badmouthing" much less ridiculing the Alcoa TEAM or its players. That's not the case with some on the Alcoa side of the aisle.

I know you had unpleasant experiences with some DII posters during the Maryville "glory days." I'm not one of them, and I don't like being lumped in with them. What the public sees nowadays is a group of vocal meanspirited BC FANS who can't even consider the possibility that Alcoa might not be "numero uno" every year, that some team might be able to best them. Most DII fans at least would be open to civil discussion. Case in point: last year. Who started the thread "Is Alcoa the best team in the state regardless of classification?" and then proceeded to "poopoo" anybody who thought otherwise? (Has DII ever had such a thread for one of its teams?) To many of you, anybody who opined that MUS might be better than Alcoa was a biased idiot. Forget the objective "evidence," the polls, the relative schedule strength. Your pal BC now uses those same polls as objective evidence that Alcoa is #1 this year. You know what? I and many if not most DII supporters agree! Would your brethren ever admit the same about a DII team? Based on recent experience, apparently not.

Aren't you in the Eastern Time Zone? You're up awfully late, even more so than me. LOL

Edited by owlbooster

The sad truth in all this is that because of attitiude and/or philosiphy, not to mention the joke that is called playoff format, these games are not happening. I know this happens in a lot of other states, but these games between public/private powers are a necessity. When you have the same teams beating up on the same teams year in/year out, you have stagnant competition. All you're left with is a bunch of internet hot air, fans telling other fans to "bring it on" as if they're coaches or athletic directors and pointless peeing contests. Does absolutely nothing to help the perception or well being of TN h.s. football.

I don't condone anybody's bad behavior. It happens on all sides and it never should be used to paint an entire group of posters nor justify the bad behavior of others. But there appears to be a big disparity between the tactics and tone of the "opposing" sides. For example, NOBODY on any "side" is "badmouthing" much less ridiculing the Alcoa TEAM or its players. That's not the case with some on the Alcoa side of the aisle.

I know you had unpleasant experiences with some DII posters during the Maryville "glory days." I'm not one of them, and I don't like being lumped in with them. What the public sees nowadays is a group of vocal meanspirited BC FANS who can't even consider the possibility that Alcoa might not be "numero uno" every year, that some team might be able to best them. Most DII fans at least would be open to civil discussion. Case in point: last year. Who started the thread "Is Alcoa the best team in the state regardless of classification?" and then proceeded to "poopoo" anybody who thought otherwise? (Has DII ever had such a thread for one of its teams?) To many of you, anybody who opined that MUS might be better than Alcoa was a biased idiot. Forget the objective "evidence," the polls, the relative schedule strength. Your pal BC now uses those same polls as objective evidence that Alcoa is #1 this year. You know what? I and many if not most DII supporters agree! Would your brethren ever admit the same about a DII team? Based on recent experience, apparently not.

Aren't you in the Eastern Time Zone? You're up awfully late, even more so than me. LOL

Find a post where I've ever said Maryville would beat MBA , BA or MUS ... You won't find it . The only reason I'm here now is because I have seen for the last few years the agenda of several DII posters . You guys hate to see a public team get attention , so you attack that school by demeaning their schedule and basically saying that team is not worthy of your respect ...........UNLESS .... They play you guys ..... giving you guys the chance to keep claiming your superiority . The only way you guys would be happy would be if every Alcoa & Maryville poster started every thread with .... "We are soooo lucky we don't play those scary DII guys ". I gave plenty of respect to DII for years and years , even when I saw posts about how Maryville would be destroyed by fill in the blank DII team , I didn't say Maryville would beat them .

BTW , "Maryville glory days " ...... ya back in the good ol days when Maryville was relevant right !? Ya we got beat in the 6A state championship & Alcoa has beat us 2 years in a row , so I guess Maryville's all washed up now .... right ?

The difference between myself and you and several DII posters is that I have no trouble giving your teams respect ..... no matter who they play .... you guys are not giving respect to any team unless they play you or some team from Ohio , Texas , or where ever .

rollredroll has always been respectful and I wish I could always show the Class and respect that he does , but it's really hard to do when you see any successful Public team being roasted by you guys .

Find a post where I've ever said Maryville would beat MBA , BA or MUS ... You won't find it . The only reason I'm here now is because I have seen for the last few years the agenda of several DII posters . You guys hate to see a public team get attention , so you attack that school by demeaning their schedule and basically saying that team is not worthy of your respect ...........UNLESS .... They play you guys ..... giving you guys the chance to keep claiming your superiority . The only way you guys would be happy would be if every Alcoa & Maryville poster started every thread with .... "We are soooo lucky we don't play those scary DII guys ". I gave plenty of respect to DII for years and years , even when I saw posts about how Maryville would be destroyed by fill in the blank DII team , I didn't say Maryville would beat them .

BTW , "Maryville glory days " ...... ya back in the good ol days when Maryville was relevant right !? Ya we got beat in the 6A state championship & Alcoa has beat us 2 years in a row , so I guess Maryville's all washed up now .... right ?

The difference between myself and you and several DII posters is that I have no trouble giving your teams respect ..... no matter who they play .... you guys are not giving respect to any team unless they play you or some team from Ohio , Texas , or where ever .

rollredroll has always been respectful and I wish I could always show the Class and respect that he does , but it's really hard to do when you see any successful Public team being roasted by you guys .

WOW! Your paranoia and insecurity are boundless. Only YOU could find some hidden negative meaning in the phrase "Maryville glory days." A normal person sees this for what it is - a simple reference to the period when they won 70 or 80 something games in a row and implies absolutely nothing about the current situation.

I was very careful, after your past overreactions, to word everything in the 3rd person or else spell out A-L-C-O-A so that you couldn't turn this into a "me" and "Maryville" thing. But you did it anyway.

We've been over the "respect" thing ad nauseam. I personally don't know anybody that doesn't think that Alcoa and Maryville are among the very best teams in TN every year, and I'm getting tired of repeating that. Your incessant "Rodney Dangerfield" routine that you're not respected is totally and patently ludicrous at face value. There is no hidden "agenda." I don't give a rat's behind how much attention a public school gets or whom they play. But in Alcoa's case, their schedule is nothing to brag about and does the players and fans a disservice. Furthermore, it does little to advance the cause of promoting TN HS football outside the state's borders. Despite their schedule, reasonable people still give them credit for being a topnotch team because it's obvious that they ARE. If you believe that your annual pounding of the same noncompetitive teams by 40 or more points is fine and dandy, go right ahead. I just find it hard to believe that the BC football fanatics and the Alcoa team are satisfied with the status quo. When we play noncompetitive teams, I find it difficult to get motivated to even go to the game, and if I do, I leave at halftime, or else arrive at halftime, so I can see the future players. Almost your whole season is like that. That's exciting? Gratifying? Fulfilling? FUN?????

Edited by owlbooster

When we played Alcoa a few years ago it was a great game. Tremendous atmosphere, close game. We might have been in our "glory days". I really truly enjoyed the event (except for the outcome).

I think it is fabulous that any school public or private does so well. I've studied your system to figure out what makes Alcoa so good and if I feel that we can learn something from it. That being said, would I drive out of my way to simply go watch Alcoa vs. The Have Nots? No. Would I drive out of my way to go watch two really top notch teams who are equally matched duke it out? You bet I would.

Best of luck to the Tornadoes on their quest for another gold ball and to all the "Have Nots" to improve their programs and win their own trophy!

Thanks, but I haven't always been respectful. I have taken my shots. I have been catty. But, just like in-person arguments, you have to step aside at some point or things get really nasty. This stuff isn't worth it. I saw a kid in a wheelchair at the BA-MBA game Friday night with some sort of disability. To see that happiness on his face for being at his team's game without an outward care in the world, juxtaposed next to a hard-on I had for a post I read on the Herbstreit thread that drove me nuts, really made me reassess how serious I/we take things.

If I had to nominate the "class" representative for the DII boards, I would nominate KWoodroof. Met him in person at Herbstreit two years ago and a couple of MBA games since. I promise anyone who would meet him from the other side would immediately rethink any biases. And he has a sense of humor that really is fantastic if you take the time to look past the topics/issues at hand. And yes, DI/MHS/AHS has representatives as well.

Honestly, my radar is up for only one poster these days. He is not a MHS fan. He has initials in his screen name. And I don't know how any logical, unbiased person cannot rolls his/her eyes when he comments. It's probably not a secret who it is. His primary argument these days is that his school's record against DII schools the past two decades - a set of only a few games, and a set that does not include MBA, MUS, a modern day Brentwood Academy, and the vast majority of DII schools - is the reason for his school's dominance and DII being dogmeat. That is flat out asinine. That's the equivalent of Briarcrest claiming 6A/5A superiority because they beat Craigmont this year.

Because I run a website - one run out of pure love of the game - I have scores flying through my head every minute of the day pretty much. When I look at what a Maryville has done, it is, indeed, staggering. No one should question what MHS has done (as an aside, pepvol, I am sure it has been gratifying that the move to 6A has eliminated a lot of the DI flak about Maryville playing up), regardless of class or opponent. Similarly, though, I do believe that DII's record versus DI schools (an 80% winning percentage since the beginning of DII in 1997, and a lopsided winning % against every DI class) is, at the very least, enough to go by to say that said initialed-poster referenced in the last paragraph looks absolutley idiotic for his claims about DII strength.

So, we live to live and fight another day.

Edited by rollredroll