Grins and Chuckles

owlbooster

WOW! Your paranoia and insecurity are boundless. Only YOU could find some hidden negative meaning in the phrase "Maryville glory days." A normal person sees this for what it is - a simple reference to the period when they won 70 or 80 something games in a row and implies absolutely nothing about the current situation.

I was very careful, after your past overreactions, to word everything in the 3rd person or else spell out A-L-C-O-A so that you couldn't turn this into a "me" and "Maryville" thing. But you did it anyway.

We've been over the "respect" thing ad nauseam. I personally don't know anybody that doesn't think that Alcoa and Maryville are among the very best teams in TN every year, and I'm getting tired of repeating that. Your incessant "Rodney Dangerfield" routine that you're not respected is totally and patently ludicrous at face value. There is no hidden "agenda." I don't give a rat's behind how much attention a public school gets or whom they play. But in Alcoa's case, their schedule is nothing to brag about and does the players and fans a disservice. Furthermore, it does little to advance the cause of promoting TN HS football outside the state's borders. Despite their schedule, reasonable people still give them credit for being a topnotch team because it's obvious that they ARE. If you believe that your annual pounding of the same noncompetitive teams by 40 or more points is fine and dandy, go right ahead. I just find it hard to believe that the BC football fanatics and the Alcoa team are satisfied with the status quo. When we play noncompetitive teams, I find it difficult to get motivated to even go to the game, and if I do, I leave at halftime, or else arrive at halftime, so I can see the future players. Almost your whole season is like that. That's exciting? Gratifying? Fulfilling? FUN?????

Owlbooster , I really think you don't have any idea how arrogant and condescending you come across ...

Rollredroll , Yes we were very happy to make the move to 6A , it really got old hearing all the talk . Anyone who follows Maryville Football though would have wished we had one of our stronger teams coming up last year , but we didn't . To be honest I would rate last year's team as one of George's weakest teams ... that's why we were so surprised to make it to the Title game . This year's team is about on the same level as last years , with more experience overall , but offset with a new QB learning the ropes . I don't know how far we'll go this year , but I do know we're only losing a few players and we've got some great players on the way .

I keep hearing rumors Rollredroll of a possible matchup between Maryville and one of the DII's .... I would love to play you guys , I would prefer that over any OOS matchups myself . Lets keep our fingers crossed , maybe it will happen soon .

Edited by pepvol

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say I found that flattering, though not necessarily justified. I suppose my one over-arching thought here is that the rancor that shows up so often in these threads is not necessary. I don't wander over to the Div I boards very often, as they really don't much interest me. MBA is about all I can follow (as I spend every Friday night watching MBA play on my computer screen, I frequently think that a group of 15-17 year old children whom I don't know have a lot more influence on my time than they should). But sometimes I look at threads over there that are connected to MBA. As an example, I looked in on the thread concerning the Ensworth-Smyrna game. Most of the posters were Smyrna fans, all of whom were gracious and classy. there were no complaints about EHS' recruited team. They talked about football. Three years ago, a thread like that would have been unremarkable. Now, it needs to be preserved for a museum.

And RRR's behavior at a game is much better than mine. And his observations on raising a daughter are hilarious.

Owlbooster , I really think you don't have any idea how arrogant and condescending you come across ...

Rollredroll , Yes we were very happy to make the move to 6A , it really got old hearing all the talk . Anyone who follows Maryville Football though would have wished we had one of our stronger teams coming up last year , but we didn't . To be honest I would rate last year's team as one of George's weakest teams ... that's why we were so surprised to make it to the Title game . This year's team is about on the same level as last years , with more experience overall , but offset with a new QB learning the ropes . I don't know how far we'll go this year , but I do know we're only losing a few players and we've got some great players on the way .

I keep hearing rumors Rollredroll of a possible matchup between Maryville and one of the DII's .... I would love to play you guys , I would prefer that over any OOS matchups myself . Lets keep our fingers crossed , maybe it will happen soon .

Out of curiosity, what would your view be on returing to one division with three classifications, with the proviso that aid-offering schools and open enrollment schools had to play in the highest division?

When we played Alcoa a few years ago it was a great game. Tremendous atmosphere, close game. We might have been in our "glory days". I really truly enjoyed the event (except for the outcome).

I think it is fabulous that any school public or private does so well. I've studied your system to figure out what makes Alcoa so good and if I feel that we can learn something from it. That being said, would I drive out of my way to simply go watch Alcoa vs. The Have Nots? No. Would I drive out of my way to go watch two really top notch teams who are equally matched duke it out? You bet I would.

Best of luck to the Tornadoes on their quest for another gold ball and to all the "Have Nots" to improve their programs and win their own trophy!

Great post BLUEMOM. The Alcoa games against McCallie where fantastic! :thumb:

I'd love to have McCallie back on the schedule! :flower:

Out of curiosity, what would your view be on returing to one division with three classifications, with the proviso that aid-offering schools and open enrollment schools had to play in the highest division?

I say Let's do it . It's ridiculous to have so many different classifications . Maryville and Alcoa both have players moving to play for their teams , If you build it , they will come . Maryville & Alcoa are always at the top in Academics also . Maryville , Alcoa , MBA , BA , Riverdale , Kingsport DB & many other teams will always have great teams because of their Tradition , Dedication and Overall support from the Community , Alumni and fans .

Pepvol, I really think you don't have any idea how paranoid-delusional and insecure you come across...

To paraphrase a comment I heard today...."when emotion takes over in discussion, 85% of what is said are exaggerations and the other 15% are lies."

You find a way to see some covert negative meaning or "agenda" in what people say, no matter how overtly innocuous or even complimentary it may be. A commonly-held opinion that Alcoa needs to upgrade their schedule becomes an "implied" attack on the team by "snackcaking" their schedule, as one person called it. You go to great lengths to try to fit posters into your "enemies of BC" mold. This ends up quickly turning a serious discussion about football into a personal mudslinging session. This is stupid. I'm asking you again to bury your hatchet.

Edited by owlbooster

They stalk anybody at all sites who doesn't worship at their temple. If you are truly aware of this history, you would know that this is the first time I've started a topic. You would also know that these "folks" (there are @ 5 of them) continually demean my team anytime and anywhere (e.g. posts #145-147 of the topic "Alcoa Zoning" thread) even though I and nobody at my school have ever demeaned their team. This year the topic arose on a 5A/6A Memphis site about MUS being "down" this year. They all swarmed to it to ridicule MUS and boast about Alcoa being "up." Totally classless. One of them posts complete lies about what I have said in order to stir up others. He also felt I had "put down" Alcoa by comparing them to Boise State. What egos! This all started last year when I dared to post on their "Is Alcoa the best team in the state in any classification" site that they and MUS were only "two of the best five."

I read on the other sites but refrain from sticking in my 2 cents worth about something I know nothing about or that has nothing to do with my team, I never demean another team, and I would never try to change the subject to my own team, all of which is exactly what the children at Alcoa do. Nobody has to "stalk" these brats, because they insert themselves into all the boards. For a classic albeit rather subdued recent example, check out post #16 by "bladerunner" (a "lone wolf" NOT a member of the "brat pack") on the topic "who wins 6A state championship" in the 5A/6A thread. The big surprise is that the rest of "the usual suspects" didn't follow his lead and turn the site into another place of worship to the great and all-powerful "F5" Tornado.

owlbooster if memory serves me correctly you stirred the pot more than just about anyone last year. Claiming that MUS would beat Alcoa by 3 or 4 td's. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also that was on the 3a ( which you posted on) boards and I don't remember more than three (Alcoa) posters that said Alcoa would beat MUS. This site is an open forum so every one has their own opinion and can post on any of the threads. You have done this on more than a few occasions. So what makes you any different from us Alcoa posters???? NOTHING!!! Next year maybe we can settle some of this with the BC bowl and get a little respect from people like you.

Pepvol, I really think you don't have any idea how paranoid-delusional and insecure you come across...

To paraphrase a comment I heard today...."when emotion takes over in discussion, 85% of what is said are exaggerations and the other 15% are lies."

You find a way to see some covert negative meaning or "agenda" in what people say, no matter how overtly innocuous or even complimentary it may be. A commonly-held opinion that Alcoa needs to upgrade their schedule becomes an "implied" attack on the team by "snackcaking" their schedule, as one person called it. You go to great lengths to try to fit posters into your "enemies of BC" mold. This ends up quickly turning a serious discussion about football into a personal mudslinging session. This is stupid. I'm asking you again to bury your hatchet.

Well move a little closer so I can bury it then :roflol: You go ahead and keep arguing with yourself then Owlbooster , sorry someone from Blount County hurt your feelings so bad .

owlbooster if memory serves me correctly you stirred the pot more than just about anyone last year. Claiming that MUS would beat Alcoa by 3 or 4 td's. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also that was on the 3a ( which you posted on) boards and I don't remember more than three (Alcoa) posters that said Alcoa would beat MUS. This site is an open forum so every one has their own opinion and can post on any of the threads. You have done this on more than a few occasions. So what makes you any different from us Alcoa posters???? NOTHING!!! Next year maybe we can settle some of this with the BC bowl and get a little respect from people like you.

Well, your memory serves you incorrectly. Certain people have exaggerated and lied about what I have said so many times that many of you have no idea what I actually did say. Why don't you go back and read the entire "Is Alcoa the best team..." thread, so you know who said what and the context. BTW, it was the only 3A/4A thread on which I posted last year. My only 3A/4A posts this year were on "How many games would Alcoa lose..." Go back and read that thread too. Last year, a man like you attributed a number of inflammatory comments to me that I knew I hadn't made. Just to make sure, I went back and read all my posts. Then I challenged him to name a single post that backed up any assertion, or else apologize. He didn't apologize but he dropped off the thread.

To summarize last year, I said that Alcoa & MUS were 2 of the best 5 teams in Tennessee. Didn't pick 5 teams or a pecking order. I also said that it would be silly for me or anybody else, especially if they hadn't seen both teams play (i.e. virtually everybody), to try to compare the teams objectively, much less predict the "score" of a game between the 2 teams. In point of fact, I have never predicted the score of an actual or imaginary game between any 2 teams. I have never claimed any team was better than another. What turned on your base was when I suggested that based on relative schedule strengths, it was not unreasonable for somebody to opine that MUS might be better. I also said your coach was responsible for Alcoa's arguably less-than-competitive schedule. That "struck a chord" in BC people with a grudge about a former Maryville vs DII controversy about which I knew almost nothing. Outside that thread, the only times I posted were in response to somebody coming over to a DII or 6A thread to "stir the pot."

What makes me different from (some)Alcoa posters? I have never demeaned, denigrated, ridiculed or gratuitously insulted any team or its individual players. I can point you to many examples of some Alcoa fans doing this, but you can start with the 5A/6A thread "MUS is not the team they were last year." Before your "fans" showed up on that thread, I had had no intention of ever engaging them again.

Check out the recent post #45 on the DII thread "All State this far..." A rather innocuous and slightly funny quip to be sure, but a gratuitous post nonetheless. Many are not so innocent....

"Get a little respect from people like you..." These continued remarks about "respect" make me think you are all related to Rodney Dangerfield. I have said Alcoa was arguably the best team in the state this year. I said last year that they were in the top 5; that's the highest category in my book. I even said Maryville might have been in the top five last year and this year too. I said Alcoa was the closest thing in TN presently to a perennial power. Just what do you consider an expression of respect???

Edited by owlbooster