A/AA Playoff Contest round IV

BigG

OK, team I want to win? Easy! CAK

Tougher question?

Team to beat:

Well, Greeneville is rockin' right now. While their district schedule didn't hold much challenge for them, they played the "big dogs" and not only held their own with them, they beat a couple of them. Their only losses are from Bearden (2-1) and Farragut 3-2). Remember, Greeneville for years, has battled in AAA. They also have a feather in their cap for taking on, and beating, CAK earlier in the season. They also made it to the state semi finals last year, and lost to ND (I believe).

In my mind, they are the team to beat. Not because they are the best team (which, they very well may be) but because I believe they have a hunger that some of the other teams don't have. I think they want to win SO badly, they will be tough to knock off. BUT, their one weakness, is the fact that they haven't "been there, done that". All too often, that can come and bite you when least expected. The "deer in the headlight" as it were. If they can overcome that, and not get nervous, shell shocked, or over anxious, they have a great chance.

ND and CAK are my other two top choices. Notre Dame has the same desire as Greeneville (not having won it can really drive you) but from their results in regular season, may not have as much as they had last year.

Hopefully, they will post the pairings soon!

Very Nice G

And I'll play too....

Team I want to win Notre Dame

Team I think will win...CPA. I got a chance to see them earlier this year and I just believe they have what it takes to go all the way from front to back. They have played a tough schedule with a win over the Irish (early) and tied Franklin (AAA) and a narrow loss to Ravenwood.

Team I'm happiest for...McMinn Central. What a season for this school, area, Coach and his program. This Coach and family have put their heart and soul in their girls and I for one.. "wants" to say Congrats to McMinn Central.

PS..I've been talking up Greenville for a long time, Ever since I saw their select teams 3 years ago at tournament. It's amazing what you can see at the u-13, 14,and u-15 brackets of a select tourny....Why you can see the future State Champs ....if you know what to look for. BRhahahahaha

Edited by MVM

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, team I want to win? Easy! CAK

Tougher question?

Team to beat:

Well, Greeneville is rockin' right now. While their district schedule didn't hold much challenge for them, they played the "big dogs" and not only held their own with them, they beat a couple of them. Their only losses are from Bearden (2-1) and Farragut 3-2). Remember, Greeneville for years, has battled in AAA. They also have a feather in their cap for taking on, and beating, CAK earlier in the season. They also made it to the state semi finals last year, and lost to ND (I believe).

In my mind, they are the team to beat. Not because they are the best team (which, they very well may be) but because I believe they have a hunger that some of the other teams don't have. I think they want to win SO badly, they will be tough to knock off. BUT, their one weakness, is the fact that they haven't "been there, done that". All too often, that can come and bite you when least expected. The "deer in the headlight" as it were. If they can overcome that, and not get nervous, shell shocked, or over anxious, they have a great chance.

ND and CAK are my other two top choices. Notre Dame has the same desire as Greeneville (not having won it can really drive you) but from their results in regular season, may not have as much as they had last year.

CAK has the "tough spot" of winning 3 of the last 4, and being the defending state champion. I say "tough spot" because when this happens, it can make the tournament and post season "routine" and not passionate. One can have all the talent in the world, but if he/she doesn't have the drive, then lesser teams can overcome you. If CAK will light that fire, and want the win, TRULY desire to be champions, I know they can bring home the trophy. They sure have the talent and coaching to do so. Kayce Campbell, Kia Allen, and Paige Hoffman are 3 of the most dominant high school players. I had the joy of coaching them YEARS ago, and really want them to succeed!

Hopefully, they will post the pairings soon!

Good post Big G. Interesting comments as well. It is often overlooked for some reason, but ND has been there and won it all in the past. Coach Schemerhorn has had them close and not gotten to the finals prior to last year, when beating Greenville 3-0 did the trick, so I think people assume this latest run is their only trip to the table. They won it all back in the late 80s early 90s (too lazy to look it up).

That said, this is "new" for this group, though they have been mainstays in the state tourney, and yet they also have the advantage of having played in the finals last year against CAK.

No one has played anywhere near the schedule ND has this year. While they struggled early and had a miserable trip to Memphis where they gave up 10 goals in 3 games against Collierville, Germantown and Henry Co. they have since given up four goals in 8 games against Baylor (1-1), Beardon (2-2), GPS (0-1), Signal Mtn (1-0), CCS(0-0;1-0), Livingston Academy (1-0), Boyd (6-0). All of those teams are or have been ranked somewhere near the top all year in some poll or another.

None of that is to discount Greenville's run, or anyone else's for that matter. The beauty of sports is that we all believe our kids have worked harder, want it more or represent some greater goal. We sometimes forget the other team feels exactly the same.

I guess I simply wanted to point out the remarkable job Coach Schemerhorn has done. Few will know the issues he has had to deal with in building this team, but that is exactly what he has done. It is not as simple as rolling the ball out on the field.

Congrats to all of the teams still playing and good luck.

Go Irish

Edited by Rabble Rouser

Official Scoring Update

Out of a possible 56...

DonCCHatt 50

rgossett14 49

CHAMPDDS 49

Coniglio 49

ChattanoogaCannon 44

DCURTIS 43

yoduke 43

MVM 43

BigG/reaction 42

ballbasher30 36

Time to get your picks in for the the tournament. Don't forget to add your tiebreaker (total number of goals scored in the tournament.)

Edited by rgossett14