Gerry Bertier 3A Playoff Bracket

Gerry Bertier

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not Loudon's fault.

Making the change where wildcards could be higher than district champs and runner-ups was needed, a major complaint last year involved the placements that resulted. The only way to do that is through overall record.

Really? If they were just going to undermine the reason for districts, then why even go to this district format to begin with?

This has taken too much out of the hands of the actual coaches and teams and put way too much into the value of the spread sheet.

Exhibit A: Tyner, who has a difficult time scheduling opponents to begin with, is being punished for putting McCallie on the schedule.

If you give a head-to-head game the most weight it would cancel out the rest of the season results. That's fine if you're going to give district champs and runner-ups the most credit with drawing the quads, but one of the reasons we're told on that change is how some districts aren't as strong as others. You'd have some wildcards placed lower than district champs and runner-ups though they have a stronger teams most likely (Loudon for an example). That's how it was last year.

The 4A teams in Tyner's district aren't too strong this year compared to other 4A teams. They had a chance to go 10-0 but hurt themselves too much with turnovers vs Baylor and Ooltewah so they just have to blame themselves. Tough opponents in higher groups, but still, losses.

There are some good things in this new system but the splitting of districts for the postseason is the reason for a lot of the mess.

...You know something, Indian...all of that is a bunch of 'you-know-what'...if we had won those two games the reasoning would have been something else...I am convinced that the the whole set-up is just that...a set-up...the criteria isn't the problem...it's the way that it is used to dis-qualify top teams...some teams 'stack' the schedule with 'cream-puffs' and are rewarded with home games...I have lived in other states besides TN...I know how playoffs should be set-up and this don't come close to being fair or equitable!!!

...There maybe some good things but the bad out-weighs the good (in my opinion). And lastly how can you not count a head-to-head for the District Championship?...Howard's losses are to Alcoa and Tyner(3A teams)...versus Div.II and 6-A!

...You know something, Indian...all of that is a bunch of 'you-know-what'...if we had won those two games the reasoning would have been something else...I am convinced that the the whole set-up is just that...a set-up...the criteria isn't the problem...it's the way that it is used to dis-qualify top teams...some teams 'stack' the schedule with 'cream-puffs' and are rewarded with home games...I have lived in other states besides TN...I know how playoffs should be set-up and this don't come close to being fair or equitable!!!

...There maybe some good things but the bad out-weighs the good (in my opinion). And lastly how can you not count a head-to-head for the District Championship?...Howard's losses are to Alcoa and Tyner(3A teams)...versus Div.II and 6-A!

Good points TynerRamFan.

Making the change where wildcards could be higher than district champs and runner-ups was needed, a major complaint last year involved the placements that resulted. The only way to do that is through overall record.

My understanding was this was changed at the coaches request throughout the state. At least give the TSSAA credit for listening to what the coaches requested whether we like it or not.

My understanding was this was changed at the coaches request throughout the state. At least give the TSSAA credit for listening to what the coaches requested whether we like it or not.

Maybe true.

But I would love to see them get Wayne Turner, Alven Tarver, Derreck Davis, and all other coaches from districts 5&6 and see a show of hands to see who is in favor of it. It benefits them none whatsoever and is a rule change eerily subservient to districts 4,8,9,& 10.

Maybe true.

But I would love to see them get Wayne Turner, Alven Tarver, Derreck Davis, and all other coaches from districts 5&6 and see a show of hands to see who is in favor of it. It benefits them none whatsoever and is a rule change eerily subservient to districts 4,8,9,& 10.

Coach Turner was one of the coaches who worked with the TSSAA on improving the playoffs.

Really? Maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me when I read his quote "It's a crock, that's all I can say..." on the Chattanooga Times web page today.

Well here is the link were he talks about being a member of the panel. I guess he figured he wouldn't be hosed again by the system, which him and his team were. I'm just saying that even with him on the panel that made the changes it would have been hard for him to have foreseen this years circumstance and he does have every right to be upset.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/oct/15/hargis-little-set-prep-playoffs/