Top 5 Teams in State (all classes and private)

phishdad

1.ALCOA

2.MARYVILLE

3.OAKLAND

4.ENSWORTH

5.SYMRNA

Honorable mention

6.BLACKMAN

7.BAYLOR

8.BRENTWOOD ACADEMY

9.DB

10.GREENEVILLE

I find it laughable that some of you don't even have ALCOA in the top 5. All you have to do is look at what they have done the last 6 years. They own a 38 game winning streak. They have beaten Maryville 2 years in a row. Let me remind you that Alcoa handled them pretty easily last year and then Maryville drubbed Riverdale. Apparently Maryville was the second best team in 6a last year. So KWC where would you have put Alcoa last year. Also Maryville is much better this year than last. That's why I have them #2. As far as scheduling goes Alcoa has contacted some Middle Tn Schools. Now lets see if they step up to the plate. <_<

KWC..... what is laughable is actually nervousness on your part. Which, in this case is understandable, since you don't want to come across as being stupid. SeanTen on the other hand is from Symrna as his crest clearly shows...and I know he isn't the coach, so he really can't say if Symrna has contacted Alcoa or not. Look guys....I ain't got no gun in this fight....I support the Oneida Indians. I'm just a rural hick out in the middle of no where that watches football all the time. And Alcoa, even if you choose to ignore it, has been grounding every opponent to dust in the last two years.....including, as DSM10 said, 6A Maryville. Your arguement holds no water, cause your teams haven't played them. And if they remain smart...they won't. Let's see how they faired last night against unbeaten CAK.....surprise, surprise! Alcoa 50 CAK 33

The proof is in the pudding!

Kazam :twisted:

I find it laughable that some of you don't even have ALCOA in the top 5. All you have to do is look at what they have done the last 6 years. They own a 38 game winning streak. They have beaten Maryville 2 years in a row. Let me remind you that Alcoa handled them pretty easily last year and then Maryville drubbed Riverdale. Apparently Maryville was the second best team in 6a last year. So KWC where would you have put Alcoa last year. Also Maryville is much better this year than last. That's why I have them #2. As far as scheduling goes Alcoa has contacted some Middle Tn Schools. Now lets see if they step up to the plate. <_<

Who cares where I would have put them last year. Here is MY selection of the top five.

http://www.coacht.com/boards/index.php/topic/210398-top-5-teams-in-state-all-classes-and-private/page__view__findpost__p__2548620

My list is PURPOSEFULLY selected with the best teams out of Memphis and West Tennessee because this topic SAYS select the Top 5 ... but 'most' are selecting the Top 5 that THEY are familiar with. The teams I have selected, I am famailiar with. I don't blame those who select the teams that they KNOW. But it is SILLY to sit here and try to say WHO the top 5 is in the state and really be taken seriously when NO ONE has a way to QUANIFY it, especially with the current form of classification and playoff system. You can use your 'own logical' selections ... but it's just your personal opinion ... no way to back it up. Yeah yeah yeah .... bla bla bla ... but dominating 3A will NEVER consitute being KING of ALL of Tennessee high school football. It doesn't work that way. It does 'in your head', but to the rest of us sentient beings ... it's just talk.

Anyway ... have fun with this topic and it is great to DREAM.

KWC..... what is laughable is actually nervousness on your part.

The proof is in the pudding!

Kazam :twisted:

Really? ... This is your argument? ... Really? Wow ... that result really proved your point. That must be some really tasty pudding. Way to PROVE your point!

OK ... I consider me to have been corrected and my nervousness has been exposed.

:roflolk:

Hey.....I thought you were against using bold letters! :roflol:

When Alcoa loses, KWC give me a holler! Until then.....? Riddle me this, who currently holds the state's longest winning streak among all teams? My bet is Alcoa! I quote Rankin from last night's win, "that kid put on one of the greatest individual performances I've ever seen in 30 years of coaching". Remember this was the guy that used to operate the Riverdale steamroller back when it was actually a STEAMROLLER! So I would say he has seen his fair share of great individual performances, even in the State's highest classification. Wake up and smell the roses, KWC. Alcoa is the best!

:thumb: Kazam :thumb:

There is no way possible for anyone to know who the "Best" team in the state is unless they have seen ALL teams in the state play and then you can only give your opinion unless they play each other. Everyone is making their pick based on what they have seen as KWC stated. If anyone thinks they know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, who the top teams in the state are, I applaud your fervor but you've got issues. Pick your top five and have fun with it.

For info only....Ridgeway and Whitehaven are big, fast, and strong and have beat some other big, fast and strong teams. Just like Whitestation last year.....they're comin!

Hmmmmm ... using your logic, then Chris Johnson (Tennessee Titans), who we all can agree runs a legit 4.3, was courted and recruited by 'the list of colleges' that is different then the list that is recruiting this kid currently. As long as that list contains schools like EAST CAROLINA (the school Chris Johnson attended) ... right?

Chris Johnson was getting looks from bigger schools at the start of his senior year in high school. However he broke his leg in one of the first couple of games and scared away many of the bigger programs. I also believe I heard concerns over his qualifying for college.

Hey.....I thought you were against using bold letters! :roflol:

When Alcoa loses, KWC give me a holler! Until then.....? Riddle me this, who currently holds the state's longest winning streak among all teams? My bet is Alcoa! I quote Rankin from last night's win, "that kid put on one of the greatest individual performances I've ever seen in 30 years of coaching". Remember this was the guy that used to operate the Riverdale steamroller back when it was actually a STEAMROLLER! So I would say he has seen his fair share of great individual performances, even in the State's highest classification. Wake up and smell the roses, KWC. Alcoa is the best!

:thumb: Kazam :thumb:

Let me see if I can put this into perspective Kazam.

Alcoa is Boise State or TCU or Utah. And just like those universities who are the cream of the crop in their respective confrences, Alcoa has dominated consitantly againt those in their district and in their classification level. Just like those impressive non BCS schools, Alcoa has had success against good teams in larger classifications. BUT ... they don't run with the big dogs year in and year out. YES ... the streak is impressive, but considering the level of competition, it isn't impressive enough to sway anybody who constantly plays against stiffer competition. For this reason alone, Alcoa will ALWAYS be treated like Boise State and TCU.

You can accept that and move on ... or not ... doesn't matter. It is what it is. :thumb:

Edited by kwc

Chris Johnson was getting looks from bigger schools at the start of his senior year in high school. However he broke his leg in one of the first couple of games and scared away many of the bigger programs. I also believe I heard concerns over his qualifying for college.

I stand corrected. I should retract my statement considering the 'logic' used to make that statement, but we all know that there are some who, for one reason or another, slip through the cracks from time to time and end up at what is considered a 'lower tier' school without the bigboys considering them. Bad example on my part, but I stand behind my reasoning for it.

Now ... anybody have any season salt to try and conceal the taste of crow?

:roflol:

Excellent example....and I get your point. And in the context you are speaking, it still jibes with my thought process. Do you see anyone in the BCS lining up an opportunity to actually play Boise State? Why is that....? Well, Oklahoma showed everyone what happens when you get to play with fire. You get burnt....and not your garden variety burnt, more like pour some gas on it. I don't know how many times I've heard announcers refer to the Oklahoma-Boise State in some context over the last two years....think that make Mike Stoops happy? :unsure:

Although I can't stand the "Blue Field Wonderboys", I certainly think they have done enough to merit playing for a National Title over quite a few of the other contenders. Are they ducking the competion....if you can call Virginia Tech ducking. The fact is....none of the "Big Boys" will play them until they are average again. Alcoa ain't ducking anyone either....and they can play with anyone, including the Big Boys. So until one of the "Oklahoma" Teams plays them, then I'll stick with them as the top team. Which takes me back to this point....Oklahoma had to play the Broncos (Bowl Selection) otherwise they would have never took the game. No one with a brain is going to invite Alcoa to their party, because they are too good. That may not make them King, but it is a team that deserves the status.

:thumb: Kazanity :thumb:

Excellent example....and I get your point. And in the context you are speaking, it still jibes with my thought process. Do you see anyone in the BCS lining up an opportunity to actually play Boise State? Why is that....? Well, Oklahoma showed everyone what happens when you get to play with fire. You get burnt....and not your garden variety burnt, more like pour some gas on it. I don't know how many times I've heard announcers refer to the Oklahoma-Boise State in some context over the last two years....think that make Mike Stoops happy? :unsure:

Although I can't stand the "Blue Field Wonderboys", I certainly think they have done enough to merit playing for a National Title over quite a few of the other contenders. Are they ducking the competion....if you can call Virginia Tech ducking. The fact is....none of the "Big Boys" will play them until they are average again. Alcoa ain't ducking anyone either....and they can play with anyone, including the Big Boys. So until one of the "Oklahoma" Teams plays them, then I'll stick with them as the top team. Which takes me back to this point....Oklahoma had to play the Broncos (Bowl Selection) otherwise they would have never took the game. No one with a brain is going to invite Alcoa to their party, because they are too good. That may not make them King, but it is a team that deserves the status.

:thumb: Kazanity :thumb:

The problem in these arguments lies in part with isolated examples.

I loved seeing BSU beat VT this year. I rather enjoyed their victory over Oklahoma in the 2006 season. But I also remember that the 2006 Fiesta Bowl win over OU was just over a year removed from the Broncos getting their backsides violated by 35 by the Bulldogs in Athens. Same thing happened in Fayetteville three years prior to that in 2002 (27-point loss that time). Go another year back and the Gamecocks were using their tools to the tune of a 19-point victory in Columbia.

One could argue that BSU was not as good back then. Sure, maybe. The 2005 team that lost to UGA had four losses – three to BCS schools. But, the 2002 team had one loss – to Arkansas. BSU has become much better from what was already a good level (although I still remember them as a decent but not great I-AA program back in college in the 80s), but I think the issue here is long term patterns and consistency. 2010 Virginia Tech win? Awesome. 2006 OU win? Even better. But let’s not forget these SEC beat-downs. Heck, just go back to 2007 and, nine months after that OU win, the Broncos are limping their way to a two-TD loss to Washington – a 4-9 Washington team.

I think a flaw in the “afraid to schedule†parallel is that NCAA schedules are made years in advance. We have known that UT is going to play Oregon in three years, for what, three or four years now? Heck, I think UT scheduled a home-and-home with The Ohio State University ten years in advance (talk about SEC beat-downs! OSU has the market cornered on that one). Another issue is that Boise State, through its own success, is now a “Big Boyâ€, to the extent that they may have the shoe on the other foot and soon have to show that they aren’t afraid to play the next wave of up-and-comers.

I don’t want to compare a dominant, smaller classification TSSAA team to Boise State (God forbid if I say the wrong thing). Sure, there are some parallels. I certainly think a smaller classification team could lay claim to “best in state†if enough dominance and a powerful, larger classification victory is sprinkled in here and there (translation – Alcoa has an argument to lobby). But, in the end, I think there has to be an understanding that teams, on both levels, that play stronger schedules – and consistently – are looked upon more favorably in terms of passing out the spoils – the BCS title game invitations, the “best in state†labels, etc. I don’t necessarily think it is right, but the BSUs of the world cannot control their own destiny. They have to hope for others to slip up, and in some years, that may not even be enough. That's not true on the HS level, as we have playoffs, although for each distinct classification, but when it comes to a "best in state" argument, that's an argument that no school - not his, hers, mine, or yours - can lay claim to with 100% conviction.

Edited by rollredroll