Top 5 Teams in State (all classes and private)

phishdad

He may be that fast, he may not. I've never seen the kid play. Keep in mind, though, that even digital readouts will differ enough to make this conversation moot. But my point was that he said that they had MULTIPLE guys who could run 4.4's or under. Public high schools in Tennessee do not have that type of speed. They may be fast, but not that. I remember reading that when Rich Brooks took over for Kentucky 7(?) years or so ago, they only had a couple of guys themselves who were 4.4's or under. So am I to believe that a rural high school team in Tennessee has more speed than an SEC team? They may be fast, they may have one guy who's a legit 4.4, they might even have another close, but let's be realistic.

What do you mean public schools don't have that kind of speed? I had that kind of speed and 3 or 4 other guys on our state championship team did also...I played back in 2000 by the way and we had way too much speed for our own good. I was a legit 4.37 and I can back that up, so to say public schools dont have that type of speed is incorrect...The Devils just may be that fast

What do you mean public schools don't have that kind of speed? I had that kind of speed and 3 or 4 other guys on our state championship team did also...I played back in 2000 by the way and we had way too much speed for our own good. I was a legit 4.37 and I can back that up, so to say public schools dont have that type of speed is incorrect...The Devils just may be that fast

4.5 is burning it... 4.4 is just lightning fast... anything under 4.4 you should seriously consider olympic trials... i have no doubt about alcoa's team being fast, i live in maryville and have been to a few games... and i havent seen a kid but hambrick on there team if him who comes close to running that fast... you do realize that percy harvin ran a 4.37 in the nfl combines man... these things dont happen as often as people like to say...

4.5 is burning it... 4.4 is just lightning fast... anything under 4.4 you should seriously consider olympic trials... i have no doubt about alcoa's team being fast, i live in maryville and have been to a few games... and i havent seen a kid but hambrick on there team if him who comes close to running that fast... you do realize that percy harvin ran a 4.37 in the nfl combines man... these things dont happen as often as people like to say...

Alcoa has had several 4.4 and better players the last several years .

Whatever

idk man, the way people just throw these 4.4 speed times around is just crazy i think... watch the nfl combines and tell me how many guys run in the 4.4 range... NOT MANY AT ALL

Exactly. Kids hear the number "4.4" and see a guy that is fast, they'll then reason to themselves that they are just as fast as he is, so I must be a 4.4 guy too. Plus coaches will lie to a kid about their forties so that they think they're faster than what they are. Marsalis Teague was the fastest player I'd ever seen in person, and I think he ran a 4.5 when he got to Knoxville. Like SweetScience said, 4.5 is fast, 4.3 is crazy fast.

Exactly. Kids hear the number "4.4" and see a guy that is fast, they'll then reason to themselves that they are just as fast as he is, so I must be a 4.4 guy too. Plus coaches will lie to a kid about their forties so that they think they're faster than what they are. Marsalis Teague was the fastest player I'd ever seen in person, and I think he ran a 4.5 when he got to Knoxville. Like SweetScience said, 4.5 is fast, 4.3 is crazy fast.

fastest guy i have ever seen was jason mcaddley for oak ridge, whom i went to school with and played in the nfl for about 8 years, and held numerous track records at oak ridge... if im not mistaken he ran a 4.4... may have even been a tad slower than that... so when people say so and so runs a 4.37 i just kinda laugh it off..its silly

I don't think this video is particularly helpful. Can someone tell me how his posted times in the 100 meter dash would translate to his field speed? I was at a meet last spring where willy posted a 11:23...

I have seen him run a 10.8 hundred but who cares he is fast and g ville is a in the top 5 in the state in my book

100m times and 40 times are two totally different animals. All world class 100m runners are slower after 40yds. The best are the ones who can hold their 40yd pace the longest. A fair amount of track/football dual sport athletes don't carry quite the same speed over to the gridiron. So 100m times really don't "convert" directly into football 40 times.

RB Brandon Saine at OSU owns the high school 100m record at 10.38, and has ran a personal best 10.3, yet only runs a laser mid 4.4 in the 40. In comparison, Terrel Pryor has been laser timed at 4.33. That would have made him the fastest player at last years' NFL combine, yet I doubt he could beat Saine in the 100m.

The idea with these times is not to get perfect information on a players speed, but to use the info as an indicator as to what kind of speed he brings to the game.

So even if he was hand timed at 4.4,4.5 or 4.6, he's in that group of fastest players around. That's what should matter. I would acknowledge that a HS or college hand-timed 40 yard dash time IS a legitimate indicator of someone's speed, and it is OK to say that they are a "4.4 guy" even if that time is stop-watched. :thumb: