Is Webb really the best team in DII

sportshooter

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't agree more... the polls are divided into 6 different classes for the public schools and not lumped together in A, AA, and AAA so they should do the same for DII and break it into A and AA.

Webb made it to the top because they started the season ranked and are still undefeated. The teams in front of them have lost from week to week which has allowed Webb to continue to rise. It's great to see Webb ranked #1 as a Webb supporter and fan. Are they the best team in DII? Probably not, but when the poll is designed the way it is, then that's all we have to go by.

Webb is playing some solid football right now and would be very competitive with every team in this top 10. I'm not saying they would beat them all, but they would be competitive with all and beat some that they would be expected to lose to.

Edited by PowerSweep

I really don't know why y'all would want to split this into two polls. It's interesting to debate how teams from the different divisions would compare against each other. Since the poll is meaningless anyway, what's the harm? It gives us something to talk about, and the rankings aren't as diluted as they'd be if the polls were split again.

Looking at the schedules, none of the three ranked DII-A teams have played DII-AA opponents. Unranked ECS played #5 CBHS and lost 14-6. #7 St. George's beat ECS 27-26, and #9 USJ beat ECS 24-19. So I certainly don't think you can just cast aside these teams as vastly inferior.

As for Webb being number one: to me it looks like this is just one of those years where there isn't a really standout team in DII-AA. Would Webb be undefeated in DII-AA? No, but nobody else is either.

The AP poll is out and Webb is number one. Are the reporters too lazy to divide the DIIA from DIIAA? I am sure Webb is a very good football team but doubt they could beat many teams in the upper division of DII.

I agree with other poster that the polls do not mean anything, but try just lumping 1A/2A, 3A/4A, 5A/6A together and see what kind of uproar you would get. It makes no sense to me to try to rank teams that are not in the same division. BUT, where it really hurts I think is that when All State teams are named, DI will have teams in all 6 divisions and DII will be lumped together. Either lump them ALL together or separate ALL of them. There are some kids that deserve recognition in DI single A that do not get it when it is combined with AA.

Webb could not hack it in DIIAA so they dropped down. No way they are close to being the best team in the state.

Last time I checked Webb is playing in the division they were placed in by the TSSAA. BigENS... you can say Webb chose not to play up, but it's a misrepresentation to say they dropped down. As long as there has been a DII Webb has always played where they were classified so where they are playing right now should come as no surprise to you. Ever since DII was created Webb has only played in the same classification as BA, MBA, Ensworth etc. two seasons and managed to compete fairly well as they split games over those two years with everyone they played except for MBA and Ensworth.

If you had read my post above, I supported the idea that the DII poll should be split based on classification just like the state championships are. I wouldn't have had a problem with your post if you said "No way they are close to being the best team in the state." That's your opinion and I accept that. It's the "could not hack it" and "dropped down" that I take issue with.

Good luck to your team, whoever that may be the rest of the season.

Separating the DII-A teams from the DII-AA teams in the AP poll only makes sense if you change it from a Top 10 to a Top 5 poll for each division. Otherwise, there would be too many teams in the rankings.

Very good suggestion... I agree that a Top 5 poll for each would be a much better idea than a combined Top 10.

Last time I checked Webb is playing in the division they were placed in by the TSSAA. BigENS... you can say Webb chose not to play up, but it's a misrepresentation to say they dropped down. As long as there has been a DII Webb has always played where they were classified so where they are playing right now should come as no surprise to you. Ever since DII was created Webb has only played in the same classification as BA, MBA, Ensworth etc. two seasons and managed to compete fairly well as they split games over those two years with everyone they played except for MBA and Ensworth.

If you had read my post above, I supported the idea that the DII poll should be split based on classification just like the state championships are. I wouldn't have had a problem with your post if you said "No way they are close to being the best team in the state." That's your opinion and I accept that. It's the "could not hack it" and "dropped down" that I take issue with.

Good luck to your team, whoever that may be the rest of the season.

Good post powersweep. No reason for the Ensworth poster to put down Webb for playing where they are slotted.

• 2 weeks later...