TOM'S Super 32 Preview

Vonvesthell

Just so everybody knows Tennessee only has two people left in the tournament. It seems like we still need to build within our state. We really just don't have the youth programs other states can offer. The other states such as Florida, Pennsylvania, New York, and Ohio assert their dominance before they turn 10.

Edited by daytime6

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so everybody knows Tennessee only has two people left in the tournament. It seems like we still need to build within our state. We really just don't have the youth programs other states can offer. The other states such as Florida, Pennsylvania, New York, and Ohio assert their dominance before they turn 10.

WHO ARE THE TWO?

THE ANIMAL

Tennessee has some good youth programs. Does Tennessee have a youth program on every corner in every city, we all know the answer to that is no. Would it benefit the Tennessee kids to have more youth programs, everyone knows the answer would be yes. The problem with Tennessee kids being able to compete on the national level is not one problem but multiple problems.

1. Very few Tennessee kids wrestle Freestyle & Greco. Look @ the top 10 ranked kids and a high percentage of them wrestled in Fargo during the Summer.

2. How many kids went to technique or intensity camps at Iowa, Cornell, OK State, etc... to learn the training habits and technique of the top teams in the country?

3. To be able to compete on a national level wrestling must become a lifestyle. How many Tennessee kids are running 3 miles before school, lifting hard 3 day's per week and then wrestling hard 3 day's per week with the top kids in their city? In Ohio you have kids like the Stieber brothers and others driving from Monroeville 60-90 minutes one way to train @ the Barn with Erik Burnett. Are Tennessee kids making this type of sacrifice one or two days per week to train with the best kids and coach?

4. The only two All-Americans that Tennessee had in Fargo did not compete @ the Super 32.

5. For whatever reason the top kids in Tennessee don't try to wrestle on the Kids, Cadet or Junior national duals team. How can you get the necessary experience to wrestle on a national level if you don't compete against the best kids.

6. How many of the top schools (Bradley, Cleveland, Baylor, Father Ryan, CBHS, etc...) have an open door policy where any kid from any school can train with there kids during the Spring & Summer? Until Tennessee gets the best kids training together and pushing each other things are not going to get better on the national level.

I ask all of these questions not to throw stones but to allow people the opportunity to do a self evaluation as a coach, wrestler or parent.

Tennessee has some good youth programs. Does Tennessee have a youth program on every corner in every city, we all know the answer to that is no. Would it benefit the Tennessee kids to have more youth programs, everyone knows the answer would be yes. The problem with Tennessee kids being able to compete on the national level is not one problem but multiple problems.

1. Very few Tennessee kids wrestle Freestyle & Greco. Look @ the top 10 ranked kids and a high percentage of them wrestled in Fargo during the Summer.

2. How many kids went to technique or intensity camps at Iowa, Cornell, OK State, etc... to learn the training habits and technique of the top teams in the country?

3. To be able to compete on a national level wrestling must become a lifestyle. How many Tennessee kids are running 3 miles before school, lifting hard 3 day's per week and then wrestling hard 3 day's per week with the top kids in their city? In Ohio you have kids like the Stieber brothers and others driving from Monroeville 60-90 minutes one way to train @ the Barn with Erik Burnett. Are Tennessee kids making this type of sacrifice one or two days per week to train with the best kids and coach?

4. The only two All-Americans that Tennessee had in Fargo did not compete @ the Super 32.

5. For whatever reason the top kids in Tennessee don't try to wrestle on the Kids, Cadet or Junior national duals team. How can you get the necessary experience to wrestle on a national level if you don't compete against the best kids.

6. How many of the top schools (Bradley, Cleveland, Baylor, Father Ryan, CBHS, etc...) have an open door policy where any kid from any school can train with there kids during the Spring & Summer? Until Tennessee gets the best kids training together and pushing each other things are not going to get better on the national level.

I ask all of these questions not to throw stones but to allow people the opportunity to do a self evaluation as a coach, wrestler or parent.

WELL SAID.

THE ANIMAL

Not sure about the rest but Bradley does have an open door policy during the off season during open mat time and the club is open to anyone.

Nothing much to argue with here. Tennessee finds out every year you simply cannot be a part time wrestler and expect to place let alone win this tournament. TN is usally much more competetive on the national level after the season, just because the kids are in wrestling shape. The top guys in TN are competetive with the rest of the country, we don't have the depth some of the traditional wrestling states have but again our top 1 or 2 can win most anywhere.

Just felt the need to add a reply echoing many of the statements made by cbg... Oddly enough he and I share a lot of opinions on what it takes to reach that next level.

And just to emphasize the point, the spring and summer wrestling at CBHS with the West TN Takedown Club has never turned away a wrestler who wanted to work with us. We do have a one-time dues payment for the offseason but we have worked with many kids to help them come up with that. Our dues are less than many of the clubs charge for a single month / session.

So I would say that makes at least two programs with a fairly open-door policy. Very few people ever want to take advantage of those opportunities. Over the past few summers we have had wrestlers from Briarcrest, Bolton, Bartlett, Cordova, White Station, Harding, Brighton, MUS, SBA, and other schools I can't think of right now in our room.

I am working on compiling records for all of our wrestlers from the Super 32 and hopefully can post TN's overall record this weekend.

I think we as a state have dropped off lately on the national level. It seems like Tennessee wrestler have done well nationally the last ten years and now we don't have any of our best kids place at this tournament. All you got to do is look up the results at the NHSCA tournament for seniors. We use to have guys do very well at this tournament and then go onto the NCAA's and perform well enough to make All American. What has happened? What did those guys do then that we are not doing now? I do look forward to the start of high school season.

I think we as a state have dropped off lately on the national level. It seems like Tennessee wrestler have done well nationally the last ten years and now we don't have any of our best kids place at this tournament. All you got to do is look up the results at the NHSCA tournament for seniors. We use to have guys do very well at this tournament and then go onto the NCAA's and perform well enough to make All American. What has happened? What did those guys do then that we are not doing now? I do look forward to the start of high school season.

Several of the kids used to wrestle in the summer and be part of Team Tennessee Freestyle and Greco teams, also wrestled at the State and SE Region tournaments.

Also, some of our better kids and programs choose not to emphasize certain tournaments and choose to emphasize others. I will give you my point blank opinion and I hope Coach Lewis doesn't mind since I am really speaking for his program to guide, for most of the wrestlers at CBHS we aren't interested in the Super 32. There are a variety of reasons why we don't feel this tournament fits in our plan.

Similarly, you will find that many of our best wrestlers no longer attend the NHSCA events, and I feel that the commitment to those tournaments is mixed state-wide. I know for CBHS, the three seniors we placed in DI wrestling programs last year had no interest in attending senior nationals... nor had they really shown interest in attending sophomore, juniors, etc. Instead our wrestlers are focused on things like Southeast Regionals, National Duals, and Fargo. Make no mistake, that some of that focus comes from our coaching staff because once folkstyle season ends we prefer to commit to freestyle and greco for various reasons includign competition levels and avoiding burnout.

This state has a lot of room to grow and there are some excellent blueprints that could be followed. Heck, look at what the group out in GA is accomplishing.

I hardly think that kids are chosing to wrestle in folkstyle tournaments now as opposed to freestyle that has any bearing on how our state does. Now I will concede that in the past if you wanted to wrestle year round you needed to wrestle freestlye and greco. I will concede that both styles offer some obvious benefits but the fact of the matter is that now there are tremendous opportunities in folksyle to wrestle beyond your high school season. It would make more sense that this would benefit our wrestlers in folkstyle since that is what we are wrestling at the high school level. Im not sure if anyone has paid attention but these pre-season and post season tournaments are gaining in popularity at an exceedingly rapid rate. The super 32 was as tough as any tournament in the country this year. Now before you freestylers go off about Fargo just look at the facts. In fact I have spoken to multiple college coaches who say they are now placing more recruiting emphasis on on the big time folkstyle tournaments since that is what they wrestle in college. Before you look it all up and say well this kid won super32 but didnt place at Fargo ectt realize that goes both ways. They were many. many winners and placers from Fargo who didnt fare as well at the super32. Some kids are better at one style than they may be at another is the reason. Also fargo is age group based which is much easier than a 4 year window for age in the super32. I think that due to the preposterous rules in freestyle now and the fact that there are now mo0re folkstyle opportunities this will be a growing pattern.

Edited by bradley08