6A playoff brackets

my2cents

opinion!

I've been reading this discussion, and I think I understand where you get your opinion from.

Assuming Arlington was the school that doesn't wish to play Oakland...maybe Oakland too interest in playing Arlington because of the style of offense they play? (and they do play that well) So if that's the case, why wouldn't Oakland want to play them? Perhaps their coach wants to schedule opponents that help his team get better prepared for other opponents they might meet later, and Arlington fit that need.

From watching the central teams come here to play us, and us going to Nashville to play them, (Ravenwood vs WS, then Independance vs Millington, then WS vs Franklin, and last was WS vs Brentwood) I can tell you they have a good quality level of play in central Tn. Last year, Whitehaven coulda beat Maryville, so could Brentwood. But they didn't get past WS to prove it. If you win, you get to move on. This year, Whitehaven has to be the local favorite. If they beat WS, then play others such as Collierville, G'town, etc and get to a semi final game I won't be surprised. But if they had to play teams like Smyrna, Oakland, Brentwood to get into a semi final game, that would be a tougher path. Does that mean a west team can't beat a central team? Nope...it just means they have more top level teams to go through than we do. Last years final was a west vs east. So apparently, the best team in the state wasn't from the Nashville area last year. But they still have some very tough teams there. I think you gotta admit that?

I have answered all of these, multiple times and you still turn around and try to rephrase it all over again. I never said that the "conversation" did not happen...you know this, if you actually read what I post. I don't know if it did or not. But you failed to answer, why a great successful team like Oakland, would pick a team that has been playing varsity football for 4 YEARS, who has NO playoff wins. Why not Whitehaven, Whitestation, MUS, G'town, Millington, CBHS...etc? If they really want a game, I believe one these teams would play them. You have implied middle tn teams are the better than everyone else, with a considerable amount of arrogance, I might add. The middle does have an advantage. You cry because you have just SOME of your teams in the same Quad...How would you feel about all of them in the Quad? You need to go back and actually reread your posts and my replies. I think you have been missing or forgetting some or parts of them.

Not too many years ago, a new school opened up, started playing football in 6A, and within 4 yrs won state. Ravenwood.

Just because Arlington is a new school, doesn't mean the coaches only have 4 yrs experience, the players only have 4 yrs playing, etc. Not reason they can't compete...as a matter of fact, a 10-0, then an 8-2 record shows they're competing with someone.

And if you had to answer the same question "Year in and year out the best basketball in the state of TN is played where?"

Memphis would be my "opinion", but I wouldn't follow that with "the middle doesn't want the west to play in their bracket". That is a assumption of dominance and arrogant.

EXACTLY, yet you INFER things I never said!

NOW, 33 out of the last 46 state finalists have been from middle TN. If we were to take you're argument, statistically speaking we would expect half of them, 23, to have been from middle TN based on the unfair bracket alone (this is called the null hypothesis in statistics), anyway, you see that results of 33 instead of 23 is statistically significant meaning that the brackets didn't produce these results :)

Hey..where did I say that the middle was not good? Where? Actually, I said they have great programs. But statistically, the system is skewed to the middle. There is no getting around that. Probability does not work like that. It could run at 100% or 1%. Just because the numbers crunch a certain way, does not mean, it will play out to numbers in real life. Odds are it will, but it is NOT guarranteed. Flip a coin 50 times, in ten sets and record it. Some them will be about 50/50, but others can be very onesided.

Now imagine a cube with "only" 4 sides,2 sides are middle, 1 east and the other west, roll it. What is the odds of the middle showing up? 2 in 1, but this doesn't mean that streaks can't happen. Each result has no bearing on next and so on. The odds never change.

Edited by onefortheteam

I have answered all of these, multiple times and you still turn around and try to rephrase it all over again. I never said that the "conversation" did not happen...you know this, if you actually read what I post. I don't know if it did or not. But you failed to answer, why a great successful team like Oakland, would pick a team that has been playing varsity football for 4 YEARS, who has NO playoff wins. Why not Whitehaven, Whitestation, MUS, G'town, Millington, CBHS...etc? If they really want a game, I believe one these teams would play them. You have implied middle tn teams are the better than everyone else, with a considerable amount of arrogance, I might add. The middle does have an advantage. You cry because you have just SOME of your teams in the same Quad...How would you feel about all of them in the Quad?(meaning all of middle TN) How many middle vs. middle games would you have then? You need to go back and actually reread your posts and my replies. I think you have been missing or forgetting some or parts of them.

It is a FACT, that OHS has trouble scheduling games under this playoff format. I know that OHS would play any of the listed teams in a home and home game (they are already looking at going to Alcoa to play them or Maryville in a double header with possibly another District 7 team because of it). Oakland is looking for games, PERIOD and calling ANYONE who might be good competition for them. I can't help the FACT that there are fewer west TN 6A teams either.

I've been reading this discussion, and I think I understand where you get your opinion from.

Assuming Arlington was the school that doesn't wish to play Oakland...maybe Oakland too interest in playing Arlington because of the style of offense they play? (and they do play that well) So if that's the case, why wouldn't Oakland want to play them? Perhaps their coach wants to schedule opponents that help his team get better prepared for other opponents they might meet later, and Arlington fit that need.

From watching the central teams come here to play us, and us going to Nashville to play them, (Ravenwood vs WS, then Independance vs Millington, then WS vs Franklin, and last was WS vs Brentwood) I can tell you they have a good quality level of play in central Tn. Last year, Whitehaven coulda beat Maryville, so could Brentwood. But they didn't get past WS to prove it. If you win, you get to move on. This year, Whitehaven has to be the local favorite. If they beat WS, then play others such as Collierville, G'town, etc and get to a semi final game I won't be surprised. But if they had to play teams like Smyrna, Oakland, Brentwood to get into a semi final game, that would be a tougher path. Does that mean a west team can't beat a central team? Nope...it just means they have more top level teams to go through than we do. Last years final was a west vs east. So apparently, the best team in the state wasn't from the Nashville area last year. But they still have some very tough teams there. I think you gotta admit that?

Thank you, and good luck to your team.

Hey..where did I say that the middle was not good? Where? Actually, I said they have great programs. But statistically, the system is skewed to the middle. There is no getting around that. Probability does not work like that. It could run at 100% or 1%. Just because the numbers crunch a certain way, does not mean, it will play out to numbers in real life. Odds are it will, but it is NOT guarranteed. Flip a coin 50 times, in ten sets and record it. Some them will be about 50/50, but others can be very onesided.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont try to talk to me about statistics. I fully understand that, but there are statistical measures to measure how far off from the expected the observed results are and how confident we can be that the results are due to randomness or whether it is highly unlikely to see certain results (please google t-test, z-test, and inferential statistics) And if you are talking basic statistics, this year it is skewed to the East, no?

I agree to some extent that middle tn has some advantages in this 4 quad system. But once the playoffs start, you just have to beat the team in front of you. Its does not matter where you go in the brackets, you have to play the best teams to make it to Cookeville.

That being said, last year we heard the same things about middle tn teams. We heard how great they were and that no teams could play with them. My son plays for White Station and he said the best teams we played all last year were MUS then Brentwood. He said that Whitehaven was even better than Maryville. But all everyone kept saying was that we could not compete. Man was our team speed dominant. So just because west tn does not get the exposure and talk, does not mean we can not compete. This year we are young and learning and have Whitehaven first round. We will do our best and see what happens.

Good Luck to all and let the boys stay injury free.

Maryville didn't play very well that game .... I'll give you that , but to start naming all the teams that would beat us based off of that game ... Well I could state something disrespectful that could never be proven just like you ..... Be very thankful you didn't have to play Alcoa last year ..... there , like that ? Maryville will do their best to make it a rematch , you guys do the same , ok .

Not too many years ago, a new school opened up, started playing football in 6A, and within 4 yrs won state. Ravenwood.

Just because Arlington is a new school, doesn't mean the coaches only have 4 yrs experience, the players only have 4 yrs playing, etc. Not reason they can't compete...as a matter of fact, a 10-0, then an 8-2 record shows they're competing with someone.

I agree, they have competed well. But their record in these 4 years of varsity is:

5-6, 1-9, 10-1, and 8-2. No playoff wins yet. I was said earlier that Arlington was scared to play Oakland, and that middle TN teams can't get games with the West. Actually, it was I think the coach, "laughed, because of Oakland's success". So it was implied fear. All I'm saying is if the middle really wanted to schedule a top Memphis team, I'm sure there are some willing to line it up, and Arlington maybe one of them, I don't know.

Memphis would be my "opinion", but I wouldn't follow that with "the middle doesn't want the west to play in their bracket". That is a assumption of dominance and arrogant.

Please learn to quote properly, I missed this one. I would say I don't want West TN teams playing in our Substae or Region tournaments, because I can handle the truth. Also, please go back and reply to the post where I stated that the west doesn't want the middle to play in their bracket.

Maryville didn't play very well that game .... I'll give you that , but to start naming all the teams that would beat us based off of that game ... Well I could state something disrespectful that could never be proven just like you ..... Be very thankful you didn't have to play Alcoa last year ..... there , like that ? Maryville will do their best to make it a rematch , you guys do the same , ok .

And you would be right, and on my point. There has been many, many posts. Too many, the only way to know objectively....is to play the game. Opinion has nothing to do with it.

I agree, they have competed well. But their record in these 4 years of varsity is:

5-6, 1-9, 10-1, and 8-2. No playoff wins yet. I was said earlier that Arlington was scared to play Oakland, and that middle TN teams can't get games with the West. Actually, it was I think the coach, "laughed, because of Oakland's success". So it was implied fear. All I'm saying is if the middle really wanted to schedule a top Memphis team, I'm sure there are some willing to line it up, and Arlington maybe one of them, I don't know.

Now see, I didn't say that, please stop thinking and start reading. I said the coach laughed, as in laughed when asked if he wanted to play a home and home against Oakland. Not implied fear, but maybe it's the fact that most coaches under this playoff formula would not want to schedule tough competition. It's a by-product of the current playoff system. I know another middle and a Chattanooga area coach that responded the same way, so the West TN coach isn't alone.

Please learn to quote properly, I missed this one. I would say I don't want West TN teams playing in our Substae or Region tournaments, because I can handle the truth. Also, please go back and reply to the post where I stated that the west doesn't want the middle to play in their bracket.

You listed some teams we didn't want in our quad, then went into a rant about some post where you reseeded to make you happy. You go back and look it up. It's there.

Edited by onefortheteam

And you would be right, and on my point. There has been many, many posts. Too many, the only way to know objectively....is to play the game. Opinion has nothing to do with it.

I totally agree , I can't tell you how many times I have watched Maryville play a team twice in a season , and It's hardly ever the same .