6A playoff brackets

my2cents

The only fair way is 2 brackets 16 each, line it up where at least most teams play a different area opponent.

Really the only fair way is to seed the 32 teams and make the bracket from those seeds, taking geography and the west/middle/east issue out of the situation and let the games fall where they may. Sorry if you might have to travel from Memphis to Knoxville or vise versa, but if you really want a fair way of coming up with bracket there you are! We all know that's not gonna happen, but you would then have the opportunity for a west vs west or east vs east or maybe even a middle vs middle final as well a quite possibly the best tournament ever!

Since you are clearly new to high school football, understand the quad system is a new creation. Before this most recent splt, you essentially had the teams in each section of the state go through their regions/or adjacent regions once again, before one of the teams in the middle part went East, one went West. When one from the middle played their counterparts (who did the same thing)on either end of the state, they invariably had one win the championship, often times at least one team from the middle part was in the championship game.

Traditionally, teams from the Western part of the state in this classification never made it past the semi-finals. Not conjucture, not hyperbole; fact. The fact that the middle portion of the state has won 15/20 underscores the point. The split is almost the same in the private classifications as well.

The number of schools in the area is irrelevant. More schools do not make better teams. The better teams end up in the semis and finals, no matter from where they come from. Matter of fact, the ONLY way you could've guaranteed having one team from the middle part of the state IN the finals each year was to have East vs. West,Middle vs. Middle.

Unfortunately, your attempt at logic is clouded by your regional emotionalism, not historical facts. Historical fact says that Memphis invariably turns out better basketball teams than the rest of the state. Where does your logic fit THAT one in? But don't believe me, ask a head coach. They'll say the same thing.

What is wrong here??? You think that the number of teams from different areas, the old system that split east vs west, and the new system has no bearing at all on the results? I am sorry, but I cannot agree with you on that assumption. The old system still had West and East playing middle. The "middle" was in both brackets, the east and west were not, and still are not. The middle has a huge advantage of getting to the semis, because they are in both brackets (old) and in 2 of 4 (new). This is an advantage, admit it or not, but the very fact that the WEST or EAST has to eliminate to 1 team to be at the semis is a disadvantage. It is possible that the 2 or more best teams are/were not in the middle? The way the system is/has been set, it is impossible for the East or West to advance more than 1 team to the semis. Advantage middle.

Also, this discussion has been going on for days. Looking at the last few posts will not tell the story. Nor am I going to try and take on the whole middle TN booster club. More than 50% of the teams and in 2 of 4 quads, and others have to eliminate to one to play "middle"...this IS an advantage for the middle.

Edited by onefortheteam

Well first Randy....you have way to much time on your hands to figure all that mileage brother....LOL....Secondly I am a Lincoln County parent and fan and I think the TSSAA got it right placing us where they did. Thank you TSSAA for getting that right. (sarcasm) I have to agree with Randy(as bad as I hate to...LOL.) that Lincoln Co. should be in Quad 3 and Oakland should be in Quad 2.

onefortheteam you seem to be biased against the middle TN area. Its not our fault that we have more teams that qualify and for that fact we get 2 quads. Its also not our fault that we have won so many titles. I think if we seeded all the teams state wide(maybe even power rankings of some kind) and then put all 32 teams into brackets that had the best playing against the worst you would come out with a middle TN champ(LOL just kidding) you would have the best champion over the entire state, but thats not how its set up so we will play it how TSSAA says to.

I think if you had a team or teams that had been ranked in the top 10 all year and then you got put into the same Quad you would be upset also. I personally think that District 7 got the shaft. Oh,my bad, you think the rankings are rigged towards middle TN. Oh well, can't please everybody.

Good luck to all the teams that qualified for the playoffs.

GO FALCONS!!!!!

Edited by naildriver247

I agree to some extent that middle tn has some advantages in this 4 quad system. But once the playoffs start, you just have to beat the team in front of you. Its does not matter where you go in the brackets, you have to play the best teams to make it to Cookeville.

That being said, last year we heard the same things about middle tn teams. We heard how great they were and that no teams could play with them. My son plays for White Station and he said the best teams we played all last year were MUS then Brentwood. He said that Whitehaven was even better than Maryville. But all everyone kept saying was that we could not compete. Man was our team speed dominant. So just because west tn does not get the exposure and talk, does not mean we can not compete. This year we are young and learning and have Whitehaven first round. We will do our best and see what happens.

Good Luck to all and let the boys stay injury free.

"Fromthetop

Unfortunately, your attempt at logic is clouded by your regional emotionalism, not historical facts. Historical fact says that Memphis invariably turns out better basketball teams than the rest of the state. Where does your logic fit THAT one in? But don't believe me, ask a head coach. They'll say the same thing."

How many people are on a basketball team?

How many good players does it take to dominate in basketball? How many in football?

It takes more numbers for football, therefore bigger schools traditionaly fair better, no not always, but most of the time. Where are the most big schools? In the middle 2 quads. Logical, not 100%, but logical.

Edited by onefortheteam

Don't think he ever implied that his teams could not be beat by anyone.

Nope, never did, all of our teams have been beaten this year.

This is my "true" answer. Polls, rankings and other fluff is opinion, not fact. For the purpose of seeding, how can you use a poll to say teams that never played each other are better or worse than the other...you can't.

The playoff system is flawed, in the fact that EAST and WEST have to eliminate each other every year, BEFORE playing the middle "2"(a VERY IMPORTANT NUMBER TO NOTICE RANDY)bracket winners. Furthermore, (randy, that means there is more, keep reading)it is easy to see that the system is skewed to the middle. As Randy stated earlier and I quote "many years it has been middle vs. middle". How can it ever be EAST vs EAst or WEST vs. WEST? It can't, it is virtually impossible. This IS a contributing factor to the champion's list...now, now, I did NOT say it is the only reason for the middle winning more titles, I'm sure you can see the math here.

I understand you think it is unfair to have to play your teams, but how is it not unfair to other quads to assume they could not compete in your Quad? I mean do we know for a fact, that in any given year, any top team in D7 would dominate other districts? No, no we don't. The only fair way is 2 brackets 16 each, line it up where at least most teams play a different area opponent.

I am sure you still haven't looked at the bracket i would have drawn up, i don't expect you to educate yourself and look at it. Ok let's look at numbers, or facts as you like to call them. There are 17 6A schools east of Cookeville, 24 6A schools between Cookeville and Brighton, 14 6A schools between Brighton and the Mississippi River. You might want an East/West Semifinal, but TSSAA would never let that happen, and of course you would be crying about middle TN always having a team in the championship game. BTW are you trying to tell me Oak Ridge, Bradley Central, and Soddy Daisy qualify as middle TN teams? Basically East and Middle are pretty much equally represented. 11 East, 14 middle TN teams, 7 West...just about the same proportion of schools in each, actually East TN is over represented if you look at those FACTS. Can we conclude in those years that Quad 3 defeated Quad 4 in the semi finals that the teams in Quad 4 couldn't have won Quad 3? I am sure you think that probably every team in quad 4 could win Quad 2 any year. Come on, you are about to argue yourself around in a circle.

He did, it is alot of reading, but he implied that D7, was no doubt the strongest all the time and that no one else really had a chance, that no one..no that people (specifically West TN and Arlington) are scared to play them and they have to go Kentucky to fill their schedule. I would say that sums up...unbeatable. There was more, but this is silly. He knows my points have been made and instead of being up front and admitting it, he resorts to "taking his ball and going home". :roflol:

Quit implying what I mean, I say what I mean, you are making the implications. You don't believe me that it's a fact that a certain 8-2 school in west TN laughed at the thought of playing Oakland. If you don't believe me, get the coach to call our coach and schedule the game and she what that coach tells you.

Really the only fair way is to seed the 32 teams and make the bracket from those seeds, taking geography and the west/middle/east issue out of the situation and let the games fall where they may. Sorry if you might have to travel from Memphis to Knoxville or vise versa, but if you really want a fair way of coming up with bracket there you are! We all know that's not gonna happen, but you would then have the opportunity for a west vs west or east vs east or maybe even a middle vs middle final as well a quite possibly the best tournament ever!

I have always agreed with this statement, that's the only way to do it IF you want a fair tournament. But none of the TSSAA tournaments are done that way, so no reason to start now.

"Fromthetop

Unfortunately, your attempt at logic is clouded by your regional emotionalism, not historical facts. Historical fact says that Memphis invariably turns out better basketball teams than the rest of the state. Where does your logic fit THAT one in? But don't believe me, ask a head coach. They'll say the same thing."

How many good players does it take to dominate in basketball? How many in football?

It takes more numbers for football, therefore bigger schools traditionaly fair better, no not always, but most of the time. Where are the most big schools? In the middle 2 quads. Logical, not 100%, but logical.

SO, am I to INFER that you are saying we should be forces to trim our enrollments to make things easier for the smaller 6A teams to compete? lol

SO, if I were to say that year in and year out, Memphis has the best basketball teams in the state of TN, you would say.....

opinion!

And if you had to answer the same question "Year in and year out the best basketball in the state of TN is played where?"

Nope didn't say that.

EXACTLY, yet you INFER things I never said!

NOW, 33 out of the last 46 state finalists have been from middle TN. If we were to take you're argument, statistically speaking we would expect half of them, 23, to have been from middle TN based on the unfair bracket alone (this is called the null hypothesis in statistics), anyway, you see that results of 33 instead of 23 is statistically significant meaning that the brackets didn't produce these results :)

Nope, never did, all of our teams have been beaten this year.

I am sure you still haven't looked at the bracket i would have drawn up, i don't expect you to educate yourself and look at it. Ok let's look at numbers, or facts as you like to call them. There are 17 6A schools east of Cookeville, 24 6A schools between Cookeville and Brighton, 14 6A schools between Brighton and the Mississippi River. You might want an East/West Semifinal, but TSSAA would never let that happen, and of course you would be crying about middle TN always having a team in the championship game. BTW are you trying to tell me Oak Ridge, Bradley Central, and Soddy Daisy qualify as middle TN teams? Basically East and Middle are pretty much equally represented. 11 East, 14 middle TN teams, 7 West...just about the same proportion of schools in each, actually East TN is over represented if you look at those FACTS. Can we conclude in those years that Quad 3 defeated Quad 4 in the semi finals that the teams in Quad 4 couldn't have won Quad 3? I am sure you think that probably every team in quad 4 could win Quad 2 any year. Come on, you are about to argue yourself around in a circle.

Quit implying what I mean, I say what I mean, you are making the implications. You don't believe me that it's a fact that a certain 8-2 school in west TN laughed at the thought of playing Oakland. If you don't believe me, get the coach to call our coach and schedule the game and she what that coach tells you.

I have always agreed with this statement, that's the only way to do it IF you want a fair tournament. But none of the TSSAA tournaments are done that way, so no reason to start now.

I have answered all of these, multiple times and you still turn around and try to rephrase it all over again. I never said that the "conversation" did not happen...you know this, if you actually read what I post. I don't know if it did or not. But you failed to answer, why a great successful team like Oakland, would pick a team that has been playing varsity football for 4 YEARS, who has NO playoff wins. Why not Whitehaven, Whitestation, MUS, G'town, Millington, CBHS...etc? If they really want a game, I believe one these teams would play them. You have implied middle tn teams are the better than everyone else, with a considerable amount of arrogance, I might add. The middle does have an advantage. You cry because you have just SOME of your teams in the same Quad...How would you feel about all of them in the Quad?(meaning all of middle TN) How many middle vs. middle games would you have then? You need to go back and actually reread your posts and my replies. I think you have been missing or forgetting some or parts of them.

Edited by onefortheteam