What's up with Donelson Christian?

Trojan Fan

Last year the #3 team from West 1, FACS, travelled east and got the win. This year the #3 team from West 2, Jackson Christian, did the same thing. Both were good solid squads but not among the top 3 teams in the west in either year. JCS might be the 4th best in the west this year but there's a big drop off after ECS,SGIS,USJ. FACS probably was the 5th best team in the west last year.

Are we just seeing a really big drop off after the top 2 in East/Middle both years?

Edited by Trojan Fan

I think Jackson Christian is just highly under rated. They have some great athletes but just have not put it all together until the last two games. They could be the dark horse of this tournament.

Well, I dunno if you can call a team with 5 losses "underrated." They do have some good athletes however, and their offense can put up some points quickly when they're clicking. I even posted on here after the USJ-JCS game that I wouldn't be surprised if JCS upset someone in the playoffs. That said, I think ECS wins big next Friday.

Also, what about FRA? I think they're definitely still in the mix after blowing out Harding Academy last night. It looks like they played a tough schedule and also played Webb very close.

I was also very surprised to see DCA get beat last night. After watching them against Webb last week I really felt they should have won last night.

As for FRA, I mentioned in another thread that I felt they could be a spoiler in the playoffs. They have two really good backs and play really hard. They will not quit and I watched them play Webb right down to the very last play where they could have scored to tie or win the game. ECS had better not overlook FRA or they'll wake up Saturday morning wondering what happened.

As for FRA, I mentioned in another thread that I felt they could be a spoiler in the playoffs. They have two really good backs and play really hard. They will not quit and I watched them play Webb right down to the very last play where they could have scored to tie or win the game. ECS had better not overlook FRA or they'll wake up Saturday morning wondering what happened.

I think FRA is playing St. George.

Edited by dubyah

Last year the #3 team from West 1, FACS, travelled east and got the win. This year the #3 team from West 2, Jackson Christian, did the same thing. Both were good solid squads but not among the top 3 teams in the west in either year. JCS might be the 4th best in the west this year but there's a big drop off after ECS,SGIS,USJ. FACS probably was the 5th best team in the west last year.

Are we just seeing a really big drop off after the top 2 in East/Middle both years?

Suprised to see DCA lose as well....however titling a thread "What's up with Donelson Christian" from an SBEC fan is ridiculous. Your school isn't even in the state of Tennessee and has never won jack. Plus, your record vs. Davidson Academy is like 1-8.

I don't think there is a significant drop off, however I do think Knox Webb is clearly the best team in the East/Middle. And it will be tough to knock them off when their enrollment is almost double of any other team in the division. You can put Davidson, FRA, and DCA all in a hat and any one of them can beat each other week to week.

Suprised to see DCA lose as well....however titling a thread "What's up with Donelson Christian" from an SBEC fan is ridiculous. Your school isn't even in the state of Tennessee and has never won jack. Plus, your record vs. Davidson Academy is like 1-8.

I don't think there is a significant drop off, however I do think Knox Webb is clearly the best team in the East/Middle. And it will be tough to knock them off when their enrollment is almost double of any other team in the division. You can put Davidson, FRA, and DCA all in a hat and any one of them can beat each other week to week.

Sorry you were offended. That was not the intent. I couldn't even tell you where Donelson Christian was except in the Nashville area without googling it. Had no idea where Ezell was until I googled it...nor do I expect anybody east of here (except Davidson) to know where SBEC is. In fact, I'd be surprised if you did. My point?...I have not the first issue with DCA. None. How could I? I don't know anything about them other than what I read. I assumed finishing 3rd in the E/M made DCA a pretty darn good team and to be surprised that they lost is something of a compliment is it not? I don't talk smack and if I did it wouldn't be about a school/team I know nothing about personally. I'm not sure what "isn't even in the state of Tennessee" is supposed to mean. Should their be an asterisk beside every post I make noting SBEC is not in the state of Tennessee so don't anybody read it?

My only point was one of interest in how DCA could be the 3rd best team coming out of E/M the last 2 years and yet get beat by what should be lesser teams both years. It seemed interesting to me....surprising. If I could just delete or change the header, I would. In fact I'll give that a shot right now.

As to losing to Davidson? I have no illusions about SBEC football. I can remember some really good games vs. Davidson but the only 2 wins that come to mind were during the 2007 season. Davidson has absolutely been better than SBEC since they started playing. I hope the Trojans can get a win on Friday but were I a betting man I'd bet on the Bears.

I see your point about DCA,DA,& FRA. They do seem to be more logically in a different tier this year than Webb...but then it makes it all the more surprising to me that FRA gave Webb such a run, but loses to DCA, and yet DCA turns around and loses to Jackson Christian. JCS is good. I just wouldn't have figured better than DCA or especially not 17 points better. It just surprised me. I'm happy for the Eagles, though. That's a big win for them especially after the heartbreaking loss to Fayette that kept them out of the playoffs last year. To get in behind SGIS and USJ (two really tough clubs) this year and then win the first game on the road is a great accomplishment. Truthfully, I'm shocked they held somebody to 14 points. Their offense has been explosive most of the year. Defense? not so much.

Never won jack? Man, that's harsh. SBEC is no power. That's for sure. They did win a state championship and played in 3 CGs against Bishop Byrne in the early DII-A years not too many years ago but that was when DII-A was smaller, there were 3 classes, and I MUCH prefer the expanded version now with more teams and more competition. They also had a couple of semi-final teams in the MPSA but definitely no championships. I'd rather not see such big schools like ECS or Webb lumped in with SBEC but they'll help force everybody else to work harder to compete and I prefer that to having a league that's so small that it's incestuous. Play the hand your dealt and do your best with it. I'm plenty good with that.

Edited by Trojan Fan

Sorry you were offended. That was not the intent. I couldn't even tell you where Donelson Christian was except in the Nashville area without googling it. Had no idea where Ezell was until I googled it...nor do I expect anybody east of here (except Davidson) to know where SBEC is. In fact, I'd be surprised if you did. My point?...I have not the first issue with DCA. None. How could I? I don't know anything about them other than what I read. I assumed finishing 3rd in the E/M made DCA a pretty darn good team and to be surprised that they lost is something of a compliment is it not? I don't talk smack and if I did it wouldn't be about a school/team I know nothing about personally. I'm not sure what "isn't even in the state of Tennessee" is supposed to mean. Should their be an asterisk beside every post I make noting SBEC is not in the state of Tennessee so don't anybody read it?

My only point was one of interest in how DCA could be the 3rd best team coming out of E/M the last 2 years and yet get beat by what should be lesser teams both years. It seemed interesting to me....surprising. If I could just delete or change the header, I would. In fact I'll give that a shot right now.

As to losing to Davidson? I have no illusions about SBEC football. I can remember some really good games vs. Davidson but the only 2 wins that come to mind were during the 2007 season. Davidson has absolutely been better than SBEC since they started playing. I hope the Trojans can get a win on Friday but were I a betting man I'd bet on the Bears.

I see your point about DCA,DA,& FRA. They do seem to be more logically in a different tier this year than Webb...but then it makes it all the more surprising to me that FRA gave Webb such a run, but loses to DCA, and yet DCA turns around and loses to Jackson Christian. JCS is good. I just wouldn't have figured better than DCA or especially not 17 points better. It just surprised me. I'm happy for the Eagles, though. That's a big win for them especially after the heartbreaking loss to Fayette that kept them out of the playoffs last year. To get in behind SGIS and USJ (two really tough clubs) this year and then win the first game on the road is a great accomplishment. Truthfully, I'm shocked they held somebody to 14 points. Their offense has been explosive most of the year. Defense? not so much.

Never won jack? Man, that's harsh. SBEC is no power. That's for sure. They did win a state championship and played in 3 CGs against Bishop Byrne in the early DII-A years not too many years ago but that was when DII-A was smaller, there were 3 classes, and I MUCH prefer the expanded version now with more teams and more competition. They also had a couple of semi-final teams in the MPSA but definitely no championships. I'd rather not see such big schools like ECS or Webb lumped in with SBEC but they'll help force everybody else to work harder to compete and I prefer that to having a league that's so small that it's incestuous. Play the hand your dealt and do your best with it. I'm plenty good with that.

It is clear to everyone in DII-A that the only reason that ECS and Webb dropped down was to win the state in football. Now, they do have the right to drop down due to their enrollment, so that is not their fault. But some of the DII-AA powers have that option as well with their enrollment. It just makes little since for a school to have almost double the enrollment and play in the same division as some schools. But, the TSSAA doesn't make much sense of anything in regards to football it is all about the $$$.......We have 8 state championships, some BS multiplier rule, etc.

What needs to happen is the private schools completely split from the public schools......It is only fair for both parties involved. Private schools should not be made to play with a multiplier in D-1, and public schools should not have to compete against private schools who can give financial aid or don't (supposedly), recruit, have better facilities, etc. It is nieve to think that private schools don't recruit....Now some have advantages over others in regards to how much financial aid can be offered, but that is for a different argument.

But I'd say in the East/Middle region....DCA, DA, and FRA are all on the same level with your MJCA, Zion, Riverside, etc. bringing up the rear. It would be so much better if BGA dropped down, Friendship, Goodpasture, CPA, and Lipscomb came over to D-II......some might choose to play up, but those schools have their reasons. DA, DCA, and FRA also all have natural rivalries as those schools have played in the same district/region over the last 3 decades.

I've been a little suprised at the playoffs, but that's what the playoffs are about. DCA comes back against FRA, then lays an egg against Webb, then again hosting JCS. I think DA and FRA could possibly get another win each. It will be interesting to say the least.

Man, you are hating on the wrong person. Going to come to Trojan Fan's defense. Go in and read his posts - nothing but fair and intelligent. And 90% of the information from Division II comes from him.

Although SBEC is technically in MS, it is still a part of our Division II in TSSAA(and a darned good representative). And as far as Webb's enrollment, they are playing within the TSSAA guidelines - if you move them up, who's next - anyone that beats you? There HAS to be a stopping point somewhere and as long as they are playing in the rules, then it is fair (and yes, they kicked my teams butt last year).

One of the many things that I have enjoyed about my team moving to Division II is the civil conversations that are had. I do agree what you said about any given night - it just happened to be JCS night Friday and as I posted above - they have some atheletes.

• 1 month later...

I have a suspician that mayber last year wass a down year but the flood likely was more than the school could handle and they likely lost some students rather than go thru it. they will be back.