Knox Webb vs USJ

PowerSweep

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another impressive win by the Spartans tonight. Webb scored on their first two possessions and pulled away in the second half to win 41-14. USJ played hard but they just couldn't slow down the Blance brothers for Webb who combined for 6 TDs and 375 yards rushing.

USJ committed some key turnovers that stopped a couple of drives. USJ moved the ball on Webb's defense and had two very impressive running backs. They were a much more balanced team on offense than I expected. The USJ QB made several good throws and also scrammbled well on a few keepers.

Webb's defense will have to figure out how to slow down a balanced offense like USJ presented tonight or it could be tough next week against ECS as I've heard they can run and pass really well. Webb's offense tonight ran the ball well but the passing game seemed a little out of sync.

USJ played hard and brought a ton of fans. Hope everyone has a safe trip back to Jackson.

Looks like I nailed that prediction lol....USJ had some tough running backs and their QB played a lot better then he did last year in the State Championship. However, Webb just wore them out and by the end of the 3rd quarter USJ was just sick of getting hit and trying to tackle the Blance brothers. Another great win for the Spartans...As long as the Blance brothers stay healthy, this team is going to be hard to beat, especially at Faust Field. Looks like ECS, another team with revenge on their minds, is going to be coming to Faust Field trying to knock off the Spartans.

Looks like I nailed that prediction lol....USJ had some tough running backs and their QB played a lot better then he did last year in the State Championship. However, Webb just wore them out and by the end of the 3rd quarter USJ was just sick of getting hit and trying to tackle the Blance brothers. Another great win for the Spartans...As long as the Blance brothers stay healthy, this team is going to be hard to beat, especially at Faust Field. Looks like ECS, another team with revenge on their minds, is going to be coming to Faust Field trying to knock off the Spartans.

You are right, I saw your prediction and thought it would be a much closer game than that!

USJ's RBs were very good, hard-nosed football players. #40 and #39 were warriors last night. Their QB impressed me with his wheels and with his strong, confident arm. He exposed Webb's young secondary somewhat last night.

The Blance brothers had another strong night last night. USJ seemed to be holding them in check for a little but if you give them just the slightest crack of daylight they will get to the second level in a blink. Aaron is probably a touch faster than Caleb and their running styles are vastly different from each other. Caleb is a jitter-bug with speed while Aaron just seems to glide as he runs and can make full-speed cuts. However, both of them are tough as nails and will lower their shoulder and run over people who are much bigger than they are.

ECS will come to town on a mission. The Spartans played their best game of the season last year when they went to ECS and put them out. With no disrespect to USJ, once the season was over, many Spartan fans thought the State Championship was won that night as they thoroughly beat an ECS team who many felt was going to win it all. That win gave Webb the confidence they needed to finish the job in Cookeville.

ECS will come to town on a mission. The Spartans played their best game of the season last year when they went to ECS and put them out. With no disrespect to USJ, once the season was over, many Spartan fans thought the State Championship was won that night as they thoroughly beat an ECS team who many felt was going to win it all. That win gave Webb the confidence they needed to finish the job in Cookeville.

Davidson and St. George's both have very good teams and have had great seasons to this point. Their game looks to be a very good one. That being said, the winner of the ECS/Webb game, like last year, will be the odds on favorite to win the whole thing. At this point, the favorite has to be Webb...but then it really has been since probably week 2 or 3 of the season. I think any of the 3 can beat Webb under the right circumstances but ECS has the best chance to do it without playing a perfect game.

Looks like Lancaster still holds the record for most points scored on webb this season :roflolk: couple more games though.

I like your passion KNIGHT72! :thumb:

Your team was MUCH improved over last year. What do you attribute that to? Good luck next year if you aren't graduating this year. It looks like a 2-year series with Lancaster is all there will be as Webb's schedule does not include the Knights next year.

Davidson and St. George's both have very good teams and have had great seasons to this point. Their game looks to be a very good one. That being said, the winner of the ECS/Webb game, like last year, will be the odds on favorite to win the whole thing. At this point, the favorite has to be Webb...but then it really has been since probably week 2 or 3 of the season. I think any of the 3 can beat Webb under the right circumstances but ECS has the best chance to do it without playing a perfect game.

Webb may be the favorite but I completely agree with you that ECS, Davidson or St. George's could get the Spartans. Right now, Webb will need to keep their heads and not lose their focus.

Webb is just a great team. That's really all there is to say about this game. USJ moved the ball pretty well on offense but those turnovers and penalties were just too much. But, I think these kind of mistakes are what happens when you're playing a superior team. USJ played hard though. They just don't have the size that Webb has. Webb is just a complete team-- big, fast, strong, well-coached and obviously with good support.

As for next week, I think Webb will need to pass the ball better against ECS. Even though USJ beat ECS this year, I don't think Webb fans should assume that they'll have an easy victory next week. I think ECS has improved since that game, and they usually have some pretty big boys up front. It seems like ECS has developed a good passing game in the last month of the season as well.

Webb fans, I'm curious as to how this and last year's Webb teams compare to other recent Webb teams? Are these "up" years?

And just wanted to say kudos to Webb for the all around quality of their program. They've got very good student-athletes who play smart, disciplined, aggressive, and with good sportsmanship.

As for next week, I think Webb will need to pass the ball better against ECS...

Webb fans, I'm curious as to how this and last year's Webb teams compare to other recent Webb teams? Are these "up" years?

KublahKD I completely agree that Webb will have to get their passing game going for next week. Usually Webb's QB is pretty accurate and throws a very catchable ball with some zip on it. Last night he seemed to struggle to get the ball out of his hand cleanly. I don't know if it was a mechanical thing or what but I'm sure the coaches will correct that in practice this week if it was. Many of his passes last night were off target and wobbly.

As for how last year and this year's team compares to previous Webb teams I would say last year's team would be one of Webb's best ever. They had 18 seniors and pretty much the same skill position players as this year's team. Webb's 2006 State Championship team was also very, very good. Will this year's team be the best of the 3, well it remains to be seen. Starting with 2006 these have definitely been up years for Webb. Next year's team has a chance to be even better than this year's team. They lose a good deal of size in the lines but somehow they seem to always find some young guys to step up when needed.

You are right, I saw your prediction and thought it would be a much closer game than that!

USJ's RBs were very good, hard-nosed football players. #40 and #39 were warriors last night. Their QB impressed me with his wheels and with his strong, confident arm. He exposed Webb's young secondary somewhat last night.

The Blance brothers had another strong night last night. USJ seemed to be holding them in check for a little but if you give them just the slightest crack of daylight they will get to the second level in a blink. Aaron is probably a touch faster than Caleb and their running styles are vastly different from each other. Caleb is a jitter-bug with speed while Aaron just seems to glide as he runs and can make full-speed cuts. However, both of them are tough as nails and will lower their shoulder and run over people who are much bigger than they are.

Exposed the secondary? Really? I thought Webb's "young secondary" was a bright spot. They certainly affected USJ's passing game, which is why the USJ QB had a lot of keepers.

Exposed the secondary? Really? I thought Webb's "young secondary" was a bright spot. They certainly affected USJ's passing game, which is why the USJ QB had a lot of keepers.

Yes, I thought USJ's QB was the best throwing QB Webb has faced this year. I think I said "exposed Webb's young secondary somewhat last night". 172 yards on 15 completions could be somewhat exposing a young secondary in some people's opinion. The interception by TK was a huge play in the game and did "affect" USJ's passing game as you said.

In my opionion, many of the "keepers" run by the USJ QB were designed runs. When the QB takes the shotgun snap and immediately tucks it and runs then I'm pretty sure his intent was to never pass.